Mammograms

SoccerMom2

I was wondering if it hurts? I just went to the doctors a little while ago and the doctor found two lumps in my right breast. He ordered me to go get a mammogram. I am little scared. Breast cancer runs in my family. Just want to know what to look forward to.

stlrnd4

I was wondering if it hurts? I just went to the doctors a little while ago and the doctor found two lumps in my right breast. He ordered me to go get a mammogram. I am little scared. Breast cancer runs in my family. Just want to know what to look forward to.

It hurts a little, uncomfortable. Everyone is different may not bother you at all. Good luck.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
EASY!! I was freaked during my first, but it was such a breeze and it was over with in seconds. I went to the Bean Center in Hollywood. I was in & out in less than 1/2 hour.

I recently had the digital mammo done at St. Mary's Hospital and found that the digital machine squishing was way less invasive then the older squishing machine. The staff was very efficient and friendly. I was in and out in 15 minutes. No problemo at all!

camily

Peace
It was way easier than I expected. I would say it's more of an odd position than it is painful. I wouldn't describe it as painful at all actually.

camily

Peace
I recently had the digital mammo done at St. Mary's Hospital and found that the digital machine squishing was way less invasive then the older squishing machine. The staff was very efficient and friendly. I was in and out in 15 minutes. No problemo at all!

I think that's what I had also.

Toxick

Splat

According to Mrs. Toxick they are on the border of discomfort and pain, but relatively quick.

Also don't panic about lumps just yet. Breast cancer runs in Mrs Toxick family as well, and she also discovered a lump recently - and the doctor found another one besides - but both turned out to be non-cancerous and non-dangerous masses. :yay:

We're still going to buy Save the Ta-Ta's t-shirts for the family though.

And I am hoping that we will celebrate this weekend with some major TFing.

D

dems4me

:yeahthat: I did the digital one a few weeks ago at Calvert Hospital. It is still a little uncomfortable but not as bad. I was told by the tech that the digital ones have less pain, but it pretty much applies to the frontal view only, not the side views though... both is like a big pinch for a few seconds then its over. The benefits far outweigh any uncomfortablity that may last for a mere few seconds. Good luck! :yay:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
I didn't find it too painful. It's super quick. I too had mine performed at St. Mary's and the most painful thing for me *was/is/always will be* the waiting. But, I must say there was a moment sitting there while waiting and talking to other gals, that you get an acute punch in the gut with the bigger meaning of it all, so its worth the little amount of pain.

punjabigyrl

They are a tad bit uncomfortable nothing to it. With that being said, make sure not to do an exam 1 week before and 1 week after your period because of all the sensitivity it will hurt.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
At what age do they recommend you to start getting them?
My doctor ordered a baseline one at age 35. I don't think the annual/semi-annual ones are generally ordered until 40, but that depends on your family history. Had a neighbor whose doctor told her she didn't need a mammogram until 40 because she had no family history of breast cancer. Then her sister had to have a double mastectomy. She demanded the doctor order her a mammogram after that and discovered she had it too. But they caught hers early.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I have great big boobs and trying to squish it all in there can get a little tricky, sometimes it feels like they trying to tuck my whole under arm in there but nothing we women cant handle. Does it hurt more or less if you have tiny little nothing boobs.

D

dems4me

I have great big boobs and trying to squish it all in there can get a little tricky, sometimes it feels like they trying to tuck my whole under arm in there but nothing we women cant handle. Does it hurt more or less if you have tiny little nothing boobs.

I had asked once and was told its all about the same. Its up to the individual's own threshold :yay:

SoccerMom2

I called the Bean office in Hollywood and got my appointment for April 1st. The lady who answered the phone was so rude. Once i gave her my birth date (im 27) she was like why are you getting a mammogram, Your too young. We don't do them unless your 35 and above with family history of breast cancer. You need to call your doctor back. When i finally got a word in i asked her why do women get mammograms? The lady said because they either found a lump in the breast and family history. I said well my doctor and I found 2 lumps in my right breast and i have family history of breast cancer. Can i please have my appointment date. I can't stand people who think because your in your 20's you can't get breast cancer. I hope i don't have a bad time when i get there. Thanks for the info. I am more worried about the stupid lady who works there. I just want to smack the sh!t out of her!