Darn buzzards

PrepH4U

In spite of trying to keep they away from our pasture and paddock area. It seems that I was not forceful enough. A pair has been hanging around with the horses. We have found them in the tack/hay area sleeping next to the barn cats, which startled them and us! :lol: One just hopped out and the other flew up to the locker and jumped over the wall gap into the horse run in.
They are not afraid of us and just hop out of our way! This morning while feeding the horses we found a neat little suprise! They have laid an egg! We kept on eye on them all day while working in the garden. (they sat and watched us) We would go in and check and they had turned/moved the egg to 3 different spots in the same general area.
I am torn should I remove the egg or just watch nature take its course? :shrug: After researching, we are looking at a total of 11 weeks for hatching and then feeding. I am afraid that they will start to attack my cats.
What do you all think?

F

forceofnature

I doubt they would attack that cats.. Infact the cats might just tear in to them. Although if the cats attack their little ones they could retaliate. I would try and get rid of them.

PrepH4U

I doubt they would attack that cats.. Infact the cats might just tear in to them. Although if the cats attack their little ones they could retaliate. I would try and get rid of them.

Any suggestions on how? :shrug:They are protected in the state and by fed law. During the winter they (100's) seemed to like to roost in the trees by the pasture. I would shoot my paintball gun towards them to scare them away. Evidently this pair has called my bluff! :lol:

mingiz

Horse Poor
Your out in the boonies just get a 22 and take cae of them....It's isn't like there is a shortage of buzzards...:whistle:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I would let nature take its course for now and sit back and enjoy. When the baby hatches, call a wildlife rescue to come get them. but for now, I would be so fasinated by this. Good luck in your choice. Dont destroy the egg.

PrepH4U

I would let nature take its course for now and sit back and enjoy. When the baby hatches, call a wildlife rescue to come get them. but for now, I would be so fasinated by this. Good luck in your choice. Dont destroy the egg.

Actually as much as I cannot stand the ugly buggers, this does have me fascinated. I am very torn now that they have laid an egg, on one hand I would love to watch the whole process and share with grand children. Something inside of me just cannot bear the thought of hurting them or their unborn chick. (must be the mom instinct) BUT on the other hand, I don't want the ugly buggers to hurt my cats either. :shrug:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Actually as much as I cannot stand the ugly buggers, this does have me fascinated. I am very torn now that they have laid an egg, on one hand I would love to watch the whole process and share with grand children. Something inside of me just cannot bear the thought of hurting them or their unborn chick. (must be the mom instinct) BUT on the other hand, I don't want the ugly buggers to hurt my cats either. :shrug:

I'd feel the same way. :huggy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Sorry Prep I had to laugh when I read this....I say let them stay...watch the baby grow up....

Tell me... :gossip: told me that a buzzard does not have an ahole... they throw up all their stuff...is this true? Thanking you can take a close look for me.. :huggy:

PrepH4U

Sorry Prep I had to laugh when I read this....I say let them stay...watch the baby grow up....

Tell me... :gossip: told me that a buzzard does not have an ahole... they throw up all their stuff...is this true? Thanking you can take a close look for me.. :huggy:

Not sure about the ahole, but they only throw up when threatened. Article I read said the urine and waste is what kills the tree because of the high acid content, so I would think they have one. :shrug: We will get to the bottom of this! :lol:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Not sure about the ahole, but they only throw up when threatened. Article I read said the urine and waste is what kills the tree because of the high acid content, so I would think they have one. :shrug: We will get to the bottom of this! :lol:

Please check on the ahole for me :huggy: post pics too...well not of the ahole but the whole bird... :buddies:

PrepH4U

once the egg hatches,.... they will leave.

30-40 days for hatching - The hatchling depends upon the parents for food for 11 wks! Six wks for fledging status.... So unless they move the baby and drop him in the woods where the fox, owl & eagles prey on the babies, we will have them for at least a couple of months minimum.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
30-40 days for hatching - The hatchling depends upon the parents for food for 11 wks! Six wks for fledging status.... So unless they move the baby and drop him in the woods where the fox, owl & eagles prey on the babies, we will have them for at least a couple of months minimum.

Well, I think once the baby is hatched they'll move out, even if they depend on parents for food. Some buzzards took up in my freinds barn, for the same purpose, and used her un-used stall for a safe haven to hatch their youngster, and once the baby was born, they left within a short duration of time. (i want to say with in the week).

INSTALL A WEBCAM!! ~~maybe you can make some money off the videos. :whistle: