Calvert County Schools

AMAhillclimber

Just wanted to know if anyone read the letter to the editor in today's Recorder? It was from a Calvert teacher who had some good points about education.

snuzzy

Just wanted to know if anyone read the letter to the editor in today's Recorder? It was from a Calvert teacher who had some good points about education.

Here it is:

Both of today's local papers have articles regarding our Work to Rule. Below is a letter to the editor from CEA member Deb Sheftz from Patuxent High School. If you have any doubt about Working to Rule her letter says it all.

The Calvert Recorder - April 28, 2010

Letter to the Editor

Well, it's that time again in Calvert County — teacher negotiations are under way.

And this time, teachers and support staff have decided to work to rule.

Now, before I tell you why I support the action, I have to be honest: I am a recovering lawyer, now teacher, who has been blessed to work with kids for 15 years. And, ever since working in a factory in Pennsylvania and watching co-workers receive some pretty gruesome injuries on the assembly line or getting laid off a few months before retirement, I have thought unions weren't a bad idea. At the same time, I like to think of myself as an informed person. I don't vote one party, I love my country and I read extensively. I know the issues. I work 56 to 60 hours a week, more than many federal workers, even if you count my vacation time. I eat lunch with students every day. My bathroom breaks are limited. I feed my hungry students, buy supplies for them every year, practice problem solving skills before and after school and write recommendations. That's on top of lesson planning and grading. And I am no super-teacher. Lots of my colleagues do the same, if not more. I am not complaining. I'm just stating fact.

So, when the teacher 4.5 percent contracted [raise] got taken away last year, I counted my blessings for having a job and hoped for the best. (Strange thing about teachers in Maryland: our contracts are not always binding. Can you imagine agreeing to sell your car to someone for $5,000, and then, after they agree, they are permitted to take part of the money back?)

Likewise, when the matter went to arbitration (no teacher strike is permitted in Maryland and only non-binding arbitration is allowed by law), I watched as each side agreed on an arbitrator and presented its case. Having great faith in the system, I eagerly awaited the results.

The independent arbitrator concluded that the county wasn't as financially strapped as it claimed (we have recently been rated the 13th richest county in the nation in Forbes magazine and have just bought a sweet little golf course). He came up with a nice middle figure for teacher increases. The Calvert County Board of Education, however, suggested that the arbitrator apparently was not intelligent or informed enough to understand the case that the board made. Thus, the arbitrator's number was put to the side, and the county came up with its own plan. The entire process of arbitration was null and void.

Now comes the part where the county simply added insult to injury. I think most people know that Maryland schools have been rated No. 1 in the country for two years in a row now, and we were No. 2 before that. I think most people also know that Calvert County consistently ranks within the top three counties within this successful state. Several of our high schools are ranked within the top 1,000 schools in the nation. So when the BOE's contract proposal offered no step increases, no cost of living, a doubling and sometimes tripling teacher cost for health insurance co-pays, and suggested I needed a doctor's note every time I take a sick day, I was pretty insulted.

Additionally, it declared that my supervisor can micromanage my lesson plans and asserted that my 30-minute lesson planning time (not enough time to call two parents, much less create lessons — I do that at home) could be optional if there was a field trip in the building. I was angry.

I understand a little about contracting. I do have a law degree. I understand low-balling an offer when you're making a deal, but please. This isn't the Washington, D.C., or Prince George's County struggling school system (no insult intended out there). My colleagues and I are highly educated, hard-working people with an incredible track record. So, please, board of education, skip the insults. Treat me like a professional. Give us what we need to do the job we want so desperately to do. Calvert County public schools Superintendent Jack Smith once said that teaching was a calling. I agree with him. But it doesn't mean we need to be martyrs. One teacher has lived with only a wood stove this winter. She can't afford to replace the failed heat pump. Another confessed that she had to take a day off because, while raising three kids alone, she didn't have enough gas to get to school. Another stated his kid's surgery had to be postponed. Meanwhile, as I watch the "open negotiations," I just see a caucus-happy BOE negotiating team that spends more time out of the room than at the bargaining table. That doesn't look like sincerity to me.

I hope the public understands that teachers aren't looking to hit the lottery here.

We all know this is not a "get rich" profession. I hope kids and parents know that when teachers decide to work to rule it is a heart-breaking decision of last resort. We can't tell them that during negotiations, but I promise it's true. We love our kids and our community — our record shows it.

So, good folks of Calvert County, as you support the BOE executive team members' individual earnings of six-digit salaries, their car, gas and phone subsidies, and their gym memberships, and as you enjoy the county's fabulous golf course purchase, we hope the community will also show its support for those of us who are out there on the frontlines every day, teaching your children and working countless hours to help young people achieve their hopes and dreams.

The fact is that every good school district shares the knowledge of one simple fact: investing in teachers is investing in kids.

Deb Sheftz, Port Republic

dan0623_2000

Very well written letter that presents the facts. I hope our elected officials do the right thing by them. If they don't then please remember that at election time.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I grew up with a teacher, my Mom so I know too well how much teachers do outside of their contracted "duty day".

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
It always amazes me how little respect and compensation teachers get for their work. These people are helping prepare our young people for the world..and it seems ok to people they get paid less than someone who plays golf for a living? They need more money and less responsibility for "raising" children.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I'm surprised that the "You get 3 months of vacation and only work 180 days" crowd hasn't parachuted in yet.

jedi2814

How 'bout the 10 million dollar pool they've built too. Can't pay the teachers but we've got a great pool that's going to cost us an estimated 1-2 million dollars a year to maintain. Puh-lease....

BernieP

Resident PIA
Very well written letter that presents the facts. I hope our elected officials do the right thing by them. If they don't then please remember that at election time.

I'm not saying the county commisioners are all that smart, but put yourself in their shows. Teacher pay raise equates to tax increase. The problem in Maryland is that the schools are funded by the county and to the taxpayer it's just one big bill. You can't tell if that tax bill is paying for the schools or the swiming pool.

In other areas the school system is an incorporated district. While the school boards are elected, they are not beholding to township or county commisioners. The school board answeres to the people. They forumlate their budget and levy the taxes to fund the schools for the year. The school tax bill is sperate from township, county and even state taxes. You see how much of your money goes to fund the school system. The school board does not have to make a political decision to either build the senior citizens center or expand the high school.

The other thing I would add, is the 12 month employees (supervisors) are paid disproportionaly more then the teachers. On the other hand those supervisors are required to be IN the school and can't claim working from home. Sometimes image is a problem. If teachers in this area want to be taken seriously, they might want to consider extending their day at the school and not working at night from home. Parents don't see that, what they see is the teacher running out the building door on little Johnny's heels.

kom526

The other thing I would add, is the 12 month employees (supervisors) are paid disproportionaly more then the teachers. On the other hand those supervisors are required to be IN the school and can't claim working from home. Sometimes image is a problem. If teachers in this area want to be taken seriously, they might want to consider extending their day at the school and not working at night from home. Parents don't see that, what they see is the teacher running out the building door on little Johnny's heels.

Teachers have familial obligations too yanno.

Parents don't see that
:yeahthat:

AMAhillclimber

How 'bout the 10 million dollar pool they've built too. Can't pay the teachers but we've got a great pool that's going to cost us an estimated 1-2 million dollars a year to maintain. Puh-lease....

Yea, at least our kids will know how to swim. Forget about education, we need to entertain the county.

headlockman

I'm a teacher in Calvert and this whole thing is not about taking work home, its about getting the pay that was promised in our contract. Its not about a pay raise, its about a pay cut. What good is a contract when its not carried out? A teacher would never get away with leaving work early or just taking a break in the middle of a class because our contract says we have certain responsibilities. We agree to work for a certain amount of money and the BOE gave us 4.5% less than the agreed upon amount... and they had the money! For a teacher, that's a significant amount of money that affects your entire life because it hurts your pension amount. None of this is about taking work home, but "work to rule" is the only thing we can do to take a stand.

And by the way, we get TWO months, not three. Some people think we get paid all year, but we only get paid for 10 months, we just have it divided up into 12 months.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Teachers have familial obligations too yanno.

Parents don't see that
:yeahthat:

the point is jacko that working parents are doing 8 or 9 hour days IN THE OFFICE. They have famiial obligatoins as well, but they don't all have the ability to "take work home". But you also failed to read that my suggeston had to do with preception. IF they want people to see them in a different light. I am not attacking them or their work ethic, but in any other office I've been in, the person who says they "work from home" typically gets the raised eyebrow of "sure you do". People are skeptical.

It only takes a handful to create that image. Drop off or pick up at the high school or middle school and you see teachers coming and going. It might be a minority but it creates the perception of the "short day".

And of course in a long discourse on school funding all you can says is they have family obligations - well so do the parents of students, they have the same work and home obligations.

kom526

the point is jacko that working parents are doing 8 or 9 hour days IN THE OFFICE. They have famiial obligatoins as well, but they don't all have the ability to "take work home". But you also failed to read that my suggeston had to do with preception. IF they want people to see them in a different light. I am not attacking them or their work ethic, but in any other office I've been in, the person who says they "work from home" typically gets the raised eyebrow of "sure you do". People are skeptical.

It only takes a handful to create that image. Drop off or pick up at the high school or middle school and you see teachers coming and going. It might be a minority but it creates the perception of the "short day".

So you think teachers should bring home since they have "the ability to do so"? It's seems obvious that you haven't seen a teacher bring home two brief cases full of homework and report cards to grade. Let me ask you this: Have you ever scheduled an appointment of any kind to take place AFTER you get off work? What's to say that these teachers don't have someplace else to be AFTER their work hours? And who are you or anyone else for that matter to be able to decide what a teacher can and cannot do during their work hours? You only see what you want to see and/or believe and your conclusions have been drawn so there is no sense in trying to show you the side of teaching that most people do not see.

And of course in a long discourse on school funding all you can says is they have family obligations - well so do the parents of students, they have the same work and home obligations.

Oh really? You stated that the parents work 8-9 hours IN AN OFFICE, minus the 30-90 minutes of lunch and various smoke breaks and trips to the snack machine, but then say that teachers have the ability to bring work home or work longer hours. Why should they?

headlockman

Very few teachers ever leave work to just go home and relax. Like someone else said, many have multiple kids to get home to and get to some kind of practice or activity.

Another huge reason for teachers leaving "on the heals of the students" is because they are hustling to grab a bite to eat before they have to go to one of their classes since we are required to add a certain amount of credits within certain time parameters. Many other jobs send their employees to training in place of their regular work day.

Also, many younger teachers have to leave right away to get to their second jobs. A teaching salary doesn't get you very far in this area if you aren't married to someone with a full time job.

And the last reason I can think of why teachers would leave after work is because some coach.

Why do I have to defend why I would leave after work anyway? It seems silly that teachers have to feel embarrassed or bad to go home at a decent hour. Some jobs have great pay as their best benefit, we have time off as our best benefit. Its a choice of career, but that doesn't mean the BOE can take our agreed upon salary and benefits.

xobxdoc

I have a perception of you, Bernie. The teachers deserve a lot better than they get. Your arguement is total crap. Shut up! I have logged several hundred hours volunteering in Calvert schools for over 5 years and I see first hand the BS they have to put up with. Support your teachers and stop playing devil's advocate.

LaserFocused

I have a perception of you, Bernie. The teachers deserve a lot better than they get. Your arguement is total crap. Shut up! I have logged several hundred hours volunteering in Calvert schools for over 5 years and I see first hand the BS they have to put up with. Support your teachers and stop playing devil's advocate.

I totally agree! Teachers are underpaid heroes! One of the reasons we moved to Calvert was for the outstanding school system for our kids!

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Doctors would not be doctors if a teacher hadn't taught them biology.
Lawyers would not be lawyers if a teacher hadn't taught them to read and problem-solve.
Engineers would not be engineers if a teacher had not taught them math. Rocket scientists would not be rocket scientists if a teacher had not taught them physics.
Julia Roberts would not be a star if her first grade teacher had not taught her to read so she could read the movie scripts.

If teachers were ever paid what they are really worth, the country would be bankrupt.

oh, wait,....

sorry, guess we paid all of the money to Goldman Sachs...and the people who never paid attention in school so they COULD learn how to read and thus wouldn't be a burden on society...

Funny that the so-called richest country in the world, the so-called "world leader" gives less respect to their teachers than many third world countries.

The Board of Ed negotiated a contract, as did the teachers, in good faith. That contract should be honored. If it means raising my taxes, so be it. I'd rather pay higher taxes to pay teachers a decent salary and honor a legal contract, than shell out tax dollars to support someone on welfare who doesn't work because they keep having children and can't figure out how to work and take care of children at the same time like the rest of us did.

rigz1381

ohmergerd
Also, many younger teachers have to leave right away to get to their second jobs. A teaching salary doesn't get you very far in this area if you aren't married to someone with a full time job.

You mean like the one that was serving our superintendent this past weekend as he was out ordering $50 bottles of wine and cocktails with HIS family?

Its almost impossible for a single teachers to survive in this area without having a second job.