Mechanic question

granny45

Does anyone know if there is a place that someone can take their car and find out what is wrong without having to pay a fee just to look at the car? Daughter's car is sputtering; not sure what is wrong. Would like to find out exactly what the problem is and get an estimate of how much it would cost. The places she has called want $100 just to look at it. Is this the norm?

Cowgirl

It takes a mechanic time to look over a car. Why would they do that for free? Sorry, but keek calling around and see if someone would do it for less. I doubt you'll find anyone to do it for free. $100 sound a little high though.

TurboK9

Does anyone know if there is a place that someone can take their car and find out what is wrong without having to pay a fee just to look at the car? Daughter's car is sputtering; not sure what is wrong. Would like to find out exactly what the problem is and get an estimate of how much it would cost. The places she has called want $100 just to look at it. Is this the norm?

If the vehicle had an ODB I or ODB II data link you can take it to places like 'Autozone' for a free scan, but that's about it unless you have a friend...

Mechanics are like anyone else. They'd rather no spend an hour poking about your car for free... there is no guarantee you'd use them to fix your car, and they could just as well be working on someone elses and making money doing it :)

Yeah, it's pretty much the norm.... just running the same diags that the parts stores will do for free will cost you $75 and up a lot of places....

I have my own ODB II scan tool if the car is '96 or newer....

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
If the vehicle had an ODB I or ODB II data link you can take it to places like 'Autozone' for a free scan, but that's about it unless you have a friend...

Mechanics are like anyone else. They'd rather no spend an hour poking about your car for free... there is no guarantee you'd use them to fix your car, and they could just as well be working on someone elses and making money doing it :)

Yeah, it's pretty much the norm.... just running the same diags that the parts stores will do for free will cost you $75 and up a lot of places....

I have my own ODB II scan tool if the car is '96 or newer....

What he said!!! :buddies:

granny45

Thanks everyone. It does make sense that the mechanic doesn't want to spend his time doing something for free. Everyone needs money.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Any mechanic that offers a "free" check up is going to hard sell you big time so you have them do the work. They are not to be trusted, in my opinion.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I will add that I just had the same issue with my LR.

Took it to Chesledine for them to do the diagnostics and "run the codes" and it cost 1.5 hours of labor or $129.

I took the codes, spent about $250 to do the rapairs myself and everyone was happy.

I saved about $1500 in repair costs, they made a little money, and a parts store made some money. Paying to get a good diagnostic done is worth EVERY penny.

mrweb

Iron City

What county? Chuck, St. M or Calvert?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
None, as long as she's old enough to vote. :killingme

Hey Itsbob! Get yourself a scanner... you can get them for like $50-100 depending on quality.... no more $125 to read your codes. :)

I thought about that, but from what I understand for the LR I would still need a way to research the codes, or have a "special" scanner.

Which after thinking about it. If the scanner gave me the number codes I could go online to the LR forums and just ask again, but I would need the actual number codes.

Last time I went to AutoZone to get the codes read they told me my trasnmission needed work as 4th gear was out of synch. What it really meant was I had a faulty Mass Air Flow sensor. NOT Autozones fault, just the way the current OBD reads faults on the LR.

I thought about that, but from what I understand for the LR I would still need a way to research the codes, or have a "special" scanner.

Which after thinking about it. If the scanner gave me the number codes I could go online to the LR forums and just ask again, but I would need the actual number codes.

Last time I went to AutoZone to get the codes read they told me my trasnmission needed work as 4th gear was out of synch. What it really meant was I had a faulty Mass Air Flow sensor. NOT Autozones fault, just the way the current OBD reads faults on the LR.

Many of the codes are universal. The rest can be gotten as easy as this:
Land Rover OBD-II Trouble Codes