Local Teacher Charged with Sex Offense

Cowgirl

I just saw that on the front page. My first reaction is that the student willingly had contact with him.

Makes you wonder when the article says all contact occured off school property. :eyebrow: It's not like he cornered her (him?) in the classroom.

deino2002

~LEGS FOR DAYS~
I just saw that on the front page. My first reaction is that the student willingly had contact with him.

Makes you wonder when the article says all contact occured off school property. :eyebrow: It's not like he cornered her (him?) in the classroom.

It's hard to say :shrug: The student could have been confiding in him for help with school and he took advantage of the situtation? Only those involved really know what happened. Just scares the crap out of me having a child in middle school myself. Most kids look up to their teachers as role models and confide in them....but who know this student could have been the initator but either way he is an adult and was wrong for letting it happen & continue to happen.....

What constitutes a "Fourth Degree Sex Offense"??

The MD Charging Language Document is fairly large (4.4MB download), but here is the snip from it;

**SEX OFFENSE FOURTH DEGREE**

...did unlawfully commit a sexual offense in the fourth degree upon _____ (name), in violation of CR 3-308 of the Annotated Code of Maryland.
NOTE: This section can be violated in any one of three ways. For probable cause to be found, the Statement of Probable Cause must state that:

1. The defendant engaged in sexual contact with another person without the consent of that person (no aggravating factors as in Third Degree Sexual Offense) or;

2. The defendant engaged in a sexual ACT with a person who was 14 or 15 years of age and the defendant was 4 or more years older (but not 21 years of age; See Sex Offense Third Degree), or;

3. The defendant engaged in vaginal intercourse with a person 14 or 15 years of age and the defendant was 4 or more years older (but not 21 years of age or over; see Sex Offense Third Degree).]

4. The defendant is a person in a position of authority who engaged in a sexual act or sexual contact with a minor, who at the time of the sexual act or sexual contact, is a student enrolled at a school where the person in a position of authority is employed.

*A person in a position of authority means a person who is at least 21 years old, employed as a full time permanent employee by a public or private preschool, elementary school or secondary school and because of the person's position or occupation exercises supervision over a minor who attends the school. This includes: a principal, vice principal, teacher or school counselor at a public or private preschool, elementary school or secondary school.

Toxick

Splat
What constitutes a "Fourth Degree Sex Offense"??

As near as I can tell, it's when you have had sex with person A - who, in turn, had sex with person B, who had sex with person C who had sex with Kevin Bacon.

If persons A, B, or C are under 18 you've commited a 4DSO.

Kevin Bacon is exempt from this law.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
"School officials say they were contacted by the parents of the girl on Wednesday, April 28, who expressed their concerned that their daughter was involved in an inappropriate relationship with a staff member."

itsbob

I bowl overhand
As near as I can tell, it's when you have had sex with person A - who, in turn, had sex with person B, who had sex with person C who had sex with Kevin Bacon.

If persons A, B, or C are under 18 you've commited a 4DSO.

Kevin Bacon is exempt from this law.

:killingme

OK, that was funny.

Four Sexual Degrees to Kevin Bacon..

SG_Player1974

I honestly hope that this is not as it seems however, if it is then this guy should get hammered. I also hope that we do not find out that this was all made up by the girl to exact some form of revenge on the teacher. Either way, this guy's life is ruined!!

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
My kid goes there - not one of his students. I have to say I'm just not sure. There are a couple of girls there that have recently been bragging that they can get any teacher fired so .... this guys life is ruined. If he did it I hope he gets destroyed. If its little girls playing games...he'll never recover.

They lost another teacher there to "rage issues" and "inappropriate touching". All I know for sure there is that since he left I've had to teach my kid that subject because the long term sub is a joke. Once again, if he did it, good riddance and I'm more than willing to teach her. If not, then their education is negatively affected.

Plus there is a missing vice principal there... no admin release about that though.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Wasn't MB the school where a teacher was fired for scheduling vacation during the school year? There was a lengthy thread about it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This could really be anything so I'll reserve judgment until there's more information. It's not fair to either party, really, to speculate.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
There are a couple of girls there that have recently been bragging that they can get any teacher fired so .... this guys life is ruined. .

Say it ain't so.. those poor innocent young girls would NEVER be so devious or evil..

:sarcasm:

But it doesn't really matter if he did it or not, the accusation is made, and without any evidence HE can be found guilty and sent to jail, and even if found innocent (or truly innocent) his life is over.

L

Libertarian

Say it ain't so.. those poor innocent young girls would NEVER be so devious or evil..

:sarcasm:

But it doesn't really matter if he did it or not, the accusation is made, and without any evidence HE can be found guilty and sent to jail, and even if found innocent (or truly innocent) his life is over.
Yep...the child abuse charge alone carries a max of 25 years in jail. The prosecutor will probably offer him the option of pleading guilty to one or both of the 4th degree sex offenses, or some other plea which will get him no more than 18 months in jail. Even if he is innocent, this deal would be attractive to him due to the nature of the charges which have a tendency to hold the defendant guilty until proven innocent even if it goes without saying. For him to fight these charges would cost him a fortune and destroy his life; for him to plead guilty would destroy his life.