Mail order or internet based nurseries- low cost

highnote

Looking for recommendations for a good, inexpensive mail order or internet based nursery. I wanted to get personal recommendations form people who have used them, rather than just going off of google.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
To be quite honest, low-cost/inexpensive and good quality tend to be mutually exclusive. You can try places like Gurney's and Michigan Bulb Company for low cost but you get crappy bare root plants with maybe a 50% survival rate.

I'd rather pay a bit extra and get the quality from places like Burpee, Park Seed, and Stark Brothers. If you get on their mailing list, they do have a lot of sales/bargains for returning customers.

R

rhenderson

Mail orders, etc. are going to be sending the plants through the mail. Weight costs to ship. I once used Michigan Bulb years ago. The mums were one stem no more than 4 inches long not including roots. Survival rate for one month - ZERO!

Any landscaping plants/flowers you get from these place are a waste of money. Pay the price and get your plants from a local nursery/farm where you can select plants for shape and condition. Watch out for root crowding.

Annuals - try your hand at growing from seed if you like gardening.

the_hammer

I've had great results using Gurney's plants arrived a little wilted but perfked right up after planting and watering.

Cowgirl

I've had good results from using Burpee, Park, and Johnny's. Johnny's isnt' low-cost, but they're extremly high-quality.

Vince

To be quite honest, low-cost/inexpensive and good quality tend to be mutually exclusive. You can try places like Gurney's and Michigan Bulb Company for low cost but you get crappy bare root plants with maybe a 50% survival rate.

I'd rather pay a bit extra and get the quality from places like Burpee, Park Seed, and Stark Brothers. If you get on their mailing list, they do have a lot of sales/bargains for returning customers.
:yay: Ordered from all of them. Even ordered trees from them and will do so again. Asian Pear/Apple trees. Can't remember which one I got the trees from.

Vince

Probably too late now, but does anyone know a nursery around here that has dogwood trees? Checked Lowes, Walmart, etc. lots of fruit trees, bradford flowering pear, etc., but no dogwood.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

Excellent nursery. :yay:

A little history about them. There used to be a place on the Eastern Shore called Brittingham's - Nourse and another company bought them out in 1999. Brittingham's, in cooperation with the University of Maryland Extension Service, developed some of the best strawberry varieties that are still sold by Nourse. Look at Allstar, Annapolis, Earliglow, and Sparkle if you want some excellent plants.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
:yay: Ordered from all of them. Even ordered trees from them and will do so again. Asian Pear/Apple trees. Can't remember which one I got the trees from.

Probably Stark Brothers - I got ALL of the fruit trees at my old house from them, including Asian pears. Apples, apricots, figs, peaches, pears, plums, cherries - a regular smörgåsbord of fruits. :lol: They're still thriving to this day. :yay:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Probably too late now, but does anyone know a nursery around here that has dogwood trees? Checked Lowes, Walmart, etc. lots of fruit trees, bradford flowering pear, etc., but no dogwood.

The nursery next to Jaags (Wentworth?)ALWAYS has dogwoods, and you can chose between colors and type.

I buy all my trees and bushes from them. NEVER dis-satisfied and VERY knowledgeable staff.

Greenery(?) Mervell Dean Rd.

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The nursery next to Jaags (Wentworth?)ALWAYS has dogwoods, and you can chose between colors and type.

I buy all my trees and bushes from them. NEVER dis-satisfied and VERY knowledgeable staff.

Yes, that's The Greenery and I buy a lot of stuff from them as it's all very good quality. Another place not really local but has a phenomenal selection of plants and trees is Homestead Gardens in Davidsonville. Love that place! :yay:

Vince

The one across the street from Toots?

Pushrod

Patriot
I have used Gurney's several times for trees and other plants and have had 100% success rate from them.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The one across the street from Toots?

Yep, that's the one. Their trees are mature (the last pear tree I bought bore fruit the same year), and healthy. Now the new owners have my two pear trees covered with baby pears.

I'm looking now for Royal Riviera or Comice (?) trees to put into the new yard. They are from Harry and David fame, and the best pears I've ever had.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I have used Gurney's several times for trees and other plants and have had 100% success rate from them.

I've had ONE tree from Gurney's survive, and I've tried a LOT. If it's a fruit tree, and you buy root stock you're looking at 5 years before you see any fruit.