Deer on Route 210 This Morning

onelove6366

Route 210 North right before Palmer Road - deer sitting on the shoulder injured but alive. Young guy still with fur on his little nubs for antlers.

he's sitting upright in the center of the shoulder. Doesn't look seriously injured but I could see a little blood on the pavement behind him. This bothers me - we are crawling by as normal at this time on 210 (about 6:30 - 6:40 am) and I think that for someone to have hit him, they must have been driving faster then traffic was at this point so he must have been sitting there a while. I call 911 - the guy says you are calling about the deer yes I've taken several calls about this we will get someone out as soon as someone is available. Sounded pretty cavalier about it and this bothers me more so I call the PG Humane Society where a lady takes a message. A few minutes later a guy calls back and interrupts me by saying "this is a volunteer organization you will have to call Animal Control" - hangs up.

so, I call PG Animal control and the message states "if you have an animal related emergency press 1 now" so I do and get transferred to a busy signal. TWICE. So, the deer is just sitting there suffering and I have no idea if anyone will ever show up to put it out of its' misery or it it will just languish there for however many hours until it expires on its' own. That is just not right!

I sent a scathing e-mail to animal control this morning and so far no response. What is the real emergency animal injury number to call when this type of thing happens?

Why are PG police dispatchers crap? I have called numerous times over the years and always get the same response "we will send someone when someone becomes available" - oh at our end of PG county that is NEVER. I also see almost DAILY PG police breaking numerous traffic laws and what gets done about that? NOTHING. Makes me sick. I don't live in PG and am sorry that I have to drive in and work in it every day.

No animal or human should lay suffering while others look on and there be no help availalble. People wonder why we don't do anything about someone who is lying on the street stabbed and dying - well look at this - this is why and it just sucks.

right after this happened I am driving on the Beltway and a guy from ARKANSAS - tag AFHOG (fitting description) just THROWS TRASH RIGHT OUT OF HIS WINDOW. THANKS BUDDY - my faith in humanity is being sorely tested today for sure. I didn't even bother with this guy to report it - for what - nothing will be done.

the older I get the more I hate people. Arghhhh!

Sounds to me like you were too busy with your life to go and help the deer out. If you REALLY cared, you would have pulled over, gotten out of the car, gotten your tire iron and gone and popped it once in the head to put it out of its misery. You're just a big MEAMY!

onelove6366

Deer on Route 210

Sounds to me like you were too busy with your life to go and help the deer out. If you REALLY cared, you would have pulled over, gotten out of the car, gotten your tire iron and gone and popped it once in the head to put it out of its misery. You're just a big MEAMY!

Okay - screw my taxpayer dollars that support state agencies, and my tax dollars for business I patronize in PG County. Let's just forget the fact that I am dressed in business attire and a dress today to boot.

I guess the next time the frickin light is out at Palmer Road instead of calling 911 and requesting they send police to direct traffic I shoud just hop right on out of my car and do it myself hmmm?

yes I'm just a big meany - I expect service for the money I pay and in PG - you just don't get it period.

AND I am NOT trained in emergency animal care so am not qualified to distinguish if the injuries were life threatening or not. I think the animal needed to be put out of his misery but had I been exercising my right to bear arms and done the job myself, I would be unable to post this right now as I would undoubtedly be under arrest.

had I used a tire iron as you suggest, the deer may have gotten spooked and bolted thus potentially causing a much bigger problem.

Last edited:

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
Hmmm - I pay tax money so the govt needs to do something. So what's more important in PG cnty, an injured deer or an armed robbery? A pack of pit bulls running loose or a deer? Animal RESCUE (aka volunteers, so your 'I'm a tax payer' argument doesn't fly) have viable creatures to worry about.

Too bad about the deer, it's either cars or wolves - take your choice...

onelove6366

Read?

Hmmm - I pay tax money so the govt needs to do something. So what's more important in PG cnty, an injured deer or an armed robbery? A pack of pit bulls running loose or a deer? Animal RESCUE (aka volunteers, so your 'I'm a tax payer' argument doesn't fly) have viable creatures to worry about.

Did you READ my post? The volunteer organization would not respond and advised me to call PG Animal Control which I did and their "emergency" function was non funtional (how long has that gone on I wonder).

There is a difference between Animal Rescue and Animal Control. Besides - where was MDOT? It's a traffic hazard.

Seems my point is being totally missed here.

dawn

Route 210 North right before Palmer Road - deer sitting on the shoulder injured but alive. Young guy still with fur on his little nubs for antlers.

he's sitting upright in the center of the shoulder. Doesn't look seriously injured but I could see a little blood on the pavement behind him. This bothers me - we are crawling by as normal at this time on 210 (about 6:30 - 6:40 am) and I think that for someone to have hit him, they must have been driving faster then traffic was at this point so he must have been sitting there a while. I call 911 - the guy says you are calling about the deer yes I've taken several calls about this we will get someone out as soon as someone is available. Sounded pretty cavalier about it and this bothers me more so I call the PG Humane Society where a lady takes a message. A few minutes later a guy calls back and interrupts me by saying "this is a volunteer organization you will have to call Animal Control" - hangs up.

so, I call PG Animal control and the message states "if you have an animal related emergency press 1 now" so I do and get transferred to a busy signal. TWICE. So, the deer is just sitting there suffering and I have no idea if anyone will ever show up to put it out of its' misery or it it will just languish there for however many hours until it expires on its' own. That is just not right!

I sent a scathing e-mail to animal control this morning and so far no response. What is the real emergency animal injury number to call when this type of thing happens?

Why are PG police dispatchers crap? I have called numerous times over the years and always get the same response "we will send someone when someone becomes available" - oh at our end of PG county that is NEVER. I also see almost DAILY PG police breaking numerous traffic laws and what gets done about that? NOTHING. Makes me sick. I don't live in PG and am sorry that I have to drive in and work in it every day.

No animal or human should lay suffering while others look on and there be no help availalble. People wonder why we don't do anything about someone who is lying on the street stabbed and dying - well look at this - this is why and it just sucks.

right after this happened I am driving on the Beltway and a guy from ARKANSAS - tag AFHOG (fitting description) just THROWS TRASH RIGHT OUT OF HIS WINDOW. THANKS BUDDY - my faith in humanity is being sorely tested today for sure. I didn't even bother with this guy to report it - for what - nothing will be done.

Poor thing. have you tried to call animal control anymore?

onelove6366

Poor thing. have you tried to call animal control anymore?

Thanks. I sent them an e-mail and have gotten no response. I sure do hope he's not laying dead on the side of the road when I go home. I'm not an "animal activist" who believe no animal should be put down - it's a sad fact of life but leaving him there like that was just cruel and not necessary. My futile efforts to get help for him (either to end his life or to sanctuary) were frustrating for me. Lord knows what would happen if there were a "real" emergency.

I have called when the lights were out at Palmer Road. It is a busy intersection and DANGEROUS - yet no response was sent to direct traffic even if just for the rush hour. Try crossing that street safely - deer or person!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

We have wolves in SOMD? :confused:

L

Libertarian

:yeahthat: I used to work for a Nature Facility of a Parks and Recreation Department of a local government. It amazed me how many people came in there with baby birds that had fallen from nests (which they really should have left alone for the benefit of the bird) and other "problems" they had found for us to solve so that they could go about their day feeling good about themselves. It was like they didn't have time to deal with such a ridiculous concept of caring for a stray pigeon or starling, but they wanted to dump it on someone else so they could feel like they did the right thing.

Katelin

one day the dark will end

OK Sweetie, here is the deal:
PG Humane Society deals with domestic animals.
PG County Animal control deals with..take a guess....Domestic Animals!!!
Granted they do pick up, maintain and later transfer to me or a few others ( licensed wildlife rehabilitators)...the wild animals. (FYI: We are NOT funded by YOUR tax dollars..we are all volunteers)

And how many others called about the same deer?
I bet none of the rest got online and complained about it or bashed all those who have tried to help you.

Adult deer, by state law, can not be rehabilitated,( too dangerous to handle!!) so no one will respond to help the deer.

Calling the police is your only option, and they will come and spend a few pennies of you tax dollars to put a bullet in its head.

They will do that IF they have an officer available.

Otherwise, the deal is ....let nature take its course.

onelove6366

OK Sweetie, here is the deal:
PG Humane Society deals with domestic animals.
PG County Animal control deals with..take a guess....Domestic Animals!!!
Granted they do pick up, maintain and later transfer to me or a few others ( licensed wildlife rehabilitators)...the wild animals. (FYI: We are NOT funded by YOUR tax dollars..we are all volunteers)

And how many others called about the same deer?
I bet none of the rest got online and complained about it or bashed all those who have tried to help you.

Adult deer, by state law, can not be rehabilitated,( too dangerous to handle!!) so no one will respond to help the deer.

Calling the police is your only option, and they will come and spend a few pennies of you tax dollars to put a bullet in its head.

They will do that IF they have an officer available.

Otherwise, the deal is ....let nature take its course.

I don't believe I have bashed anyone - and I'm not sure I receive "help" from anyone. I was just complaining about the situation as it really bothered me. I would have been fine with an officer arriving to use a bullet to put the deer out of its' misery. I understand completely that rehabilitation is not an option nor was I searching for that type of option. I have had about 6 deer vs. car encounters in my adult driving life - believe me - they are a PIA and don't seem to be evolving very well as just about every other species has caught on about being careful around the roads except for deer (for the most part).

However, an injured deer can be a real danger if spooked or for some other reason chooses flight. If I were an injured wild animal, close proximity to hundreds of cars driving by would be a pretty scary experience. I would think that would take some type of priority but I suppose I am wrong.

My main issue is the lack of response to real situations on 210 IMHO. I specifically mentioned the light being out at Palmer Road and how dangerous that intersection becomes and the total lack of response to direct traffic in this type of situation. Other jurisdictions in this area have no problem providing adequate police support for a multitude of conditions as they occur on their roadways. PG is lacking - don't we all remember the roads this last winter? The creation of conditions that felt very much like driving on railroad tracks was unnecessary and a danger yet it was weeks in some areas before the conditions finally "melted" away.

At no point did I say ANYTHING about what a volunteer organization should be doing. The gentleman from the PG Humane Society COULD have been a little more helpful by perhaps giving a phone number to call - and what he did advise - Animal Control was apparently wrong.

Nobody has been able to offer what could be very helpful advice - like WHO to CALL - my frustration was that I had no idea what the proper authority was to contact.

The deer was gone when I drove home so somebody took care of it at some point. I certainly think that anyone who works with wild animals whom are injured or even domestic animals - would have compassion for ANY animal whom is suffering needlessly.

and just for everyone's information - I care for a feral cat colony out of my own pocket - no taxpayer money either. I've gotten some TNR help but that is it and let me tell you - food ain't cheap. I'm not bashing animal volunteers - I am just frustrated that the police response in the lower end of PG County SUCKS - STILL. I also had a fender bender in Accokeek and after waiting for almost an hour for an officer to come take a report - we gave up and simply called our insurance companies from teh scene. Lucky for the other driver whom was at fault becuase she SHOULD have been ticketed.

I guess nobody was worried about the guy throwing trash out onto the Beltway either? I was just frustrated at the collective crappiness of both experiences. I have spent years watching PG police drive dangerously, aggresively (even putting on their lights to force people to move out of their lane and turning them off as soon as the person moves out of the way), have offenses take place right in front of them with no action, etc. It is pitiful and should NOT happen. It may not be EVERY cop on the PG force, but it's enough that it's putting a stain on the reputation of the entire force IMHO FWIW - which appears to be nothing.

onelove6366

Have you set up a roadside memorial yet?

Jesus Christ - I don't care about the damned deer. It needed to be put out of its' misery. That is ALL I was trying to say.

wow - it seems like everyone enjoys being rude on here. Not my experience in forums at all. Nothing wrong with respectively disagreeing but sometimes it's good to remember what your mother taught you - if you don't have anything nice to say - don't say anything at all.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Jesus Christ - I don't care about the damned deer. It needed to be put out of its' misery. That is ALL I was trying to say.

wow - it seems like everyone enjoys being rude on here. Not my experience in forums at all. Nothing wrong with respectively disagreeing but sometimes it's good to remember what your mother taught you - if you don't have anything nice to say - don't say anything at all.

All I did was ask a question.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I understand..had it been me that had seent hat I would have been upset for days..especially if noone would help me...what would the average person know about helping the poor thing..I would be haunted by the thought of letting it just suffer until it died...and frustrated that no one could spare a moment to shoot the poor thing.

onelove6366

I understand..had it been me that had seent hat I would have been upset for days..especially if noone would help me...what would the average person know about helping the poor thing..I would be haunted by the thought of letting it just suffer until it died...and frustrated that no one could spare a moment to shoot the poor thing.

Thank you for understanding my point.

Vince

Even if the average person is carrying a gun they couldn't shoot it if it was close to a road. And in Maryland, you can't get concealed carry to save your azz so that's out. It's not hunting season so no hunters on the road carrying weapons. Who did you expect to shoot this deer? If you found a criminal type, they'd probably have a gun to shoot it with because they're the only ones in Maryland besides the police that are allowed to have guns. :lol:

Last edited: