2 cats need a home, in kill shelter - no hold time

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
These two cats are owner surrenders at the Baltimore County Shelter, if you have room in your heart for 2 cats that could use some love please contact me at katmc@secondhoperescue.org and I'll help you get them.

~~~Merlin is a Maine Coon boy about 7 years old and neutered. Belle is a domestic short hair girl, spayed, declawed front and back about 13 years old.

They came to the shelter from their owner who was in an abusive relationship. She was taking her child and moving in with her parents. Unfortunately they live in a retirement community that granted special permission for their daughter and grandchild to stay with them, but absolutely no animals are allowed.

She told me Merlin and Belle have been with her since kittens, she took them everywhere she went. Merlin sat on her lap for the entire car ride to Key West where she lived for a time. As she told me how Merlin is great with kids and Belle has a thyroid condition that she couldn't afford the meds for anymore, my heart started breaking for this person. Before she left Merlin and Belle in the lobby of the shelter she kissed them each and said how sorry she was for what they had been through.

I wasn't going to euthanize Belle leaving Merlin so alone in the cat room, if they were going anywhere it would be together, whether it was to a rescue or to end their lives, they were meant to be with each other.

They are so bewildered and confused. ~~~

Attachments

• BelleMerlin.JPG
    BelleMerlin.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Belle.JPG
    Belle.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Merlin.JPG
    Merlin.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 121

belvak

Happy Camper
I really wish I could help, but I know my girls would not accept them and I don't think I could keep up with 4 cats. :frown:

deino2002

~LEGS FOR DAYS~
They're everywhere. It's kitten season..I have two litters of orphans. Plus I have two older cats that are losing their home, they're 10.

I wish I could take them in myself. I will spread the word.

How long do these kitties have before they are put down :frown:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy

Not sure about the original poster's cats.

My kittens are good...one litter has applications on them..the other litter is only two weeks old.

The 10 year olds have a few weeks.

deino2002

~LEGS FOR DAYS~
Not sure about the original poster's cats.

My kittens are good...one litter has applications on them..the other litter is only two weeks old.

The 10 year olds have a few weeks.

:frown: This sucks so bad :frown: I will spread the word for both sets of cats.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I am full right now - wish there were some way I could take them until they could be placed. Although, I am pretty sure we have someone who can foster them a while - would that work? If so PM me and I'll make the arrangements.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Until I get all my paperwork done I'm not permitted to pull cats from the shelter on my own. If I could, the volunteer I know of would be fostering a mother with kittens or whatever was in need. She fostered 2 litters in the past year, including bottle feeding a litter of kittens, but all of those we took in from individuals.

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"

I'm sure a couple of more days.

It's true there are cats everywhere and just not enough responsible homes that want adult cats...

Arkrescue - I have no idea how long it would take to get them adopted...

yknotpoms

SOMD POM MOM
These two cats are owner surrenders at the Baltimore County Shelter, if you have room in your heart for 2 cats that could use some love please contact me at katmc@secondhoperescue.org and I'll help you get them.

~~~Merlin is a Maine Coon boy about 7 years old and neutered. Belle is a domestic short hair girl, spayed, declawed front and back about 13 years old.

They came to the shelter from their owner who was in an abusive relationship. She was taking her child and moving in with her parents. Unfortunately they live in a retirement community that granted special permission for their daughter and grandchild to stay with them, but absolutely no animals are allowed.

She told me Merlin and Belle have been with her since kittens, she took them everywhere she went. Merlin sat on her lap for the entire car ride to Key West where she lived for a time. As she told me how Merlin is great with kids and Belle has a thyroid condition that she couldn't afford the meds for anymore, my heart started breaking for this person. Before she left Merlin and Belle in the lobby of the shelter she kissed them each and said how sorry she was for what they had been through.

I wasn't going to euthanize Belle leaving Merlin so alone in the cat room, if they were going anywhere it would be together, whether it was to a rescue or to end their lives, they were meant to be with each other.

They are so bewildered and confused. ~~~

:howdy:

If you change your mind and decide to seperate and Belle will deal with barking and small dogs. I could take Belle for Hospice after getting my husband to agree. I have 2 older persians now and I am not looking to get a new cat, but an older one that needs a home until the final day I will still try and do until all of them are gone. That is how I ended up with 2 now. :)

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I spoke to the potential foster who said her screened in porch is available so they could be separate from her cats (which have a kitty door to go in/out), but she's worried about the declawed one if somehow it were to get outside accidentally. WHY do people DO THAT TO CATS? Can we have THAT person's fingernails and toenails removed so they can see what it's like?

My other foster also has an indoor/outdoor setup for her cats but no separate area to keep them indoors only. I'm hoping someone will offer their home as a permanent home, but if not, maybe a foster home will have to do. There are so MANY and they all have stories I know, just not enough homes. How do you learn the story of a pair like this and turn your back? We can't do that.

I helped a lady in Bowie who had a bonded pair of cats that came from her Mother's home (Mother went into nursing home) and I took them to a local rescue that I volunteered for, asking that the cats stay together, be adopted out as a pair. Well the rescue promptly determined one cat was more friendly and easier to adopt out so separated them. The less friendly one (fearful) was sent to the shelter! I only found out because a week or so later I was back there and saw the fearful cat in a cage and asked - I was told that one of the girls picked that cat out at the shelter to save - OMG up to that point I had no idea they took the cat to the shelter! I was so upset. I took the cat back and found her a home myself. I felt awful that her buddy had been ripped away from her like that, and no one at the rescue even bothered to ask if I wanted to find them a home myself as a pair (since they intended to separate them and send one to the shelter).

Arkrescue - I have no idea how long it would take to get them adopted...