Knockout Rose bushes and trees

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Can someone please Help?

I have 2 knockout rose bushes and 2 knockout trees, when I was in the garden center a couple weeks ago the guy told me that when they start to die (petals fall off) to cut them right below the petals and more will grow. So after the big rain and hail storm I did this. Now my poor roses are bare (no roses) and its been 2 weeks? Shouldn't some have grown since then? Did I do something wrong?

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
Knockouts will rebloom on their own but it takes over a month. Dead heading the roses makes the bush more appealing but it's not necessary. Knockouts are supposed to be low maintenance, so it's up to you. I love trimming my roses when it's time, I find it relaxing and I usually see new buds within 2 weeks.
To get more blooms quickly - look for the '5' leaf stem below the last bloom and trim just above the leaf stem (~1/4"). Trimming roses for more blooms is tedious but worth it if you want blooms quickly and don't want a gangly looking bush or tree. This works for any type of rose.
How much you trim off depends on how bushy and/or tall you want your plants. Trim closer to the last bloom and you'll have more stem.

I keep paper grocery bags to put my rose clippings in, I don't compost rose clippings to keep disease away from the plants.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Knockouts will rebloom on their own but it takes over a month. Dead heading the roses makes the bush more appealing but it's not necessary. Knockouts are supposed to be low maintenance, so it's up to you. I love trimming my roses when it's time, I find it relaxing and I usually see new buds within 2 weeks.
To get more blooms quickly - look for the '5' leaf stem below the last bloom and trim just above the leaf stem (~1/4"). Trimming roses for more blooms is tedious but worth it if you want blooms quickly and don't want a gangly looking bush or tree. This works for any type of rose.
How much you trim off depends on how bushy and/or tall you want your plants. Trim closer to the last bloom and you'll have more stem.

I keep paper grocery bags to put my rose clippings in, I don't compost rose clippings to keep disease away from the plants.

Thank you very much. This was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't cut right, I cut right under the blossom its self. I need to move down the stem more. I love having more blooms, so tonight back to trimming.

Thanks again :1bdz:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The knider more civil forums..

Just a year ago there would have been at least 4 offers to help you trim your bush..

Wenchy

Hot Flash
The knider more civil forums..

Just a year ago there would have been at least 4 offers to help you trim your bush..

We still have you. :cheers:

With a new rosebush (I have five) they are taking off like crazy in only a month (from twigs) Obviously, I am expecting no blooms yet, but should I trim them back? I think I have rosebushes on crack here.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
No, let them grow until you see small branches on the stems (you'll be able to tell the difference between a leaf stem and a small branch), then you can trim them back a bit. Tie them or stake them if you have long stalks. Alot of new roses tend to be twiggy, but after cutting back next winter they should bush out more for you.

(go for it IB :howdy:)

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
No, let them grow until you see small branches on the stems (you'll be able to tell the difference between a leaf stem and a small branch), then you can trim them back a bit. Tie them or stake them if you have long stalks. Alot of new roses tend to be twiggy, but after cutting back next winter they should bush out more for you.

I took your advice tonight and trimmed mine that Cowgirl got me. This is before.

Attachments

• 100_0520.JPG
    100_0520.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 292

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Oh and I saw a bunch of lil red bugs on it. What are they? Will Sevin dust get em?

Wenchy

Hot Flash

These look like branches. I'll let them go. They are hideous, but they are babies.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
Oh and I saw a bunch of lil red bugs on it. What are they? Will Sevin dust get em?
You like your sevin don't you? LOL. You can by Rose dust that helps with a bunch of trouble pests & black spot. Or you can use soapy water. Take some dish washing detergent and water it down and spray the plants - especially under the leaves. Do this every few days and clean away any fallen leaves and petals from under and around the bushes. Oh and btw- japanese beetles will be out in June. If you don't want them to eat your plants cut off all buds and flowers. They'll rebloom in July.

This site has the biggest list of problems with roses, but don't let it scare you. Roses are desert flowers and they'll develop toxins to fight off most problems. I'm really mean to mine and they thrive.

List of Rose Problems and Diseases Listed by Damage

itsbob

I bowl overhand

GEt a systemic fertilizer, pest control for your roses.

Fertilize the plant at it's base and the insecticide is absorbed throughout the plant.. No more aphids, or beetles etc.. etc.. Bayer makes a VERY good systemic fertilizer/ insecticide.

Also hit them with Epsom Salts.. Makes a HUGE difference!

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Since you all are on the subject of roses, something is tearing my roses up as soon as they bloom. I get a bloom open up and then before I know it, all the rose is petals are scattered in pile. Could this be caused by a bird or another pest? Or is it a symptom of something?

C

CalvertNewbie

We just bought our first knockout rose tree, sure is beautiful. Thanks, everyone, for all the good tips. Some of our rose bushes are doing better than others but I apparently wasn't taking great care of them.

wholly roses!

I planted a lot of different types of bushes including roses last year and they started out beautifully and full of roses. Then we had that storm that seemed to water log all of them and the petals fell off. I sprayed the roses early on for bugs. I have yet to see any bugs on the plants, but the leaves are hideous on all the rose bushes only--each covered with lots of tiny holes and what looks like small tan looking tracks that lead to nowhere. Like I said, I haven't seen ANY bugs but something is eating away at the leaves to the point that there are more holes than leaf left and it's only the rose bushes. Any advice?