2 Kids Hit by Car

CobbWeb

San Mateo and Catalina Dr. 2 kids hit by car, both are in serious condition. Trooper 7 landing near the ranch club airstrip.

cgwife

San Mateo and Catalina Dr. 2 kids hit by car, both are in serious condition. Trooper 7 landing near the ranch club airstrip.

I just heard the FD on the scanner relay to the Trooper that it was a 1 year old running toward the road and the father chased the child and they were both hit. So very sad. Prayers being sent!

C

CalvertNewbie

I just heard the FD on the scanner relay to the Trooper that it was a 1 year old running toward the road and the father chased the child and they were both hit. So very sad. Prayers being sent!

Every parent's worst nightmare. My heart just sank. I hope they'll both be ok and I also feel for the driver, assuming he/she stayed on scene. Horrible!

cgwife

Every parent's worst nightmare. My heart just sank. I hope they'll both be ok and I also feel for the driver, assuming he/she stayed on scene. Horrible!

From what I heard, which wasn't until they called for the Helo, child was awake and alert but had a large gash on the head. I am hoping they just flew out for precautionary measures. Did not hear anything about the Father. Also, did not hear if the driver stayed on scene or not. Still praying and so sad.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

Well, that explains what I heard as I was standing at the bus stop waiting for my kids to come home. I live near the ballfield. I hope both dad and kid will be ok.

bcp

In My Opinion
Praying that the child recovers.
and the father.

Anyone that has ever had children know how fast a toddler can escape. Take your eye off of them for just 1 second and its like they are olympic runners. Then when you run to chase them down, they think you are playing a game with them and run faster.

I think I can honestly say that this is a fear in the back of every parents mind.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Praying that the child recovers.
and the father.

Anyone that has ever had children know how fast a toddler can escape. Take your eye off of them for just 1 second and its like they are olympic runners. Then when you run to chase them down, they think you are playing a game with them and run faster.

I think I can honestly say that this is a fear in the back of every parents mind.

Anybody ever see those retractable "leash"-type things? "They" make 'em for dogs and a similar one for kids. 'cept the one for the kids, you can put around their waists or on their wrists.:biggrin:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Anybody ever see those retractable "leash"-type things? "They" make 'em for dogs and a similar one for kids. 'cept the one for the kids, you can put around their waists or on their wrists.:biggrin:

Most people on here think that's abusive and you're treating your kid like a dog..

They'd much rather see outcomes like this then to see a kid on a leash..

BUT, kudo's to the Dad (I assume it's the Dad).. sounds like he TRIED to sacrifice his body protecting his child, didn't just stand on the side of the road and watch. He probably made the difference...

Tina2001aniT

Most people on here think that's abusive and you're treating your kid like a dog..

BUT, kudo's to the Dad (I assume it's the Dad).. sounds like he TRIED to sacrifice his body protecting his child, didn't just stand on the side of the road and watch. He probably made the difference...

I am just seeing this, how sad.....does anyone have an update?

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
The child and father that were hit yesterday were hit by a vehicle traveling approx. 25 MPH. The child had a hematoma above the eye and some bruising of the chest and abdomen, all of which are an obvious sign and concern of internal bleeding. The child was flown to Children's. Don't know much more than that.

bcp

In My Opinion
The child and father that were hit yesterday were hit by a vehicle traveling approx. 25 MPH. The child had a hematoma above the eye and some bruising of the chest and abdomen, all of which are an obvious sign and concern of internal bleeding. The child was flown to Children's. Don't know much more than that.
I suppose it sounds like it coudl have been much worse.
Can you imagine how the driver of the car has to feel right about now?

DEEKAYPEE8569

Well.....yeah.....there are going to be people that look at you like you are doing that, but how often do you see kids out and about with M&D holding one or the other's hand? When I was old enough to walk and too big for the shopping cart at the store, I was told to either hold Mommy's hand or Daddy's hand. That's not S.O.P. anymore?

frequentflier

happy to be living

Glad to hear the driver was going the speed limit. So many go much faster down the CRE roads than posted. A lot of drivers are impatient tail gaters, too. I have been flipped off and yelled at more than once for going the speed limit!
Hope the man and child are OK.

TurboK9

Glad to hear the driver was going the speed limit. So many go much faster down the CRE roads than posted. A lot of drivers are impatient tail gaters, too. I have been flipped off and yelled at more than once for going the speed limit!
Hope the man and child are OK.

No way was the driver going the speed limit, unless they didn't so much as hit the brakes.... which means they weren't paying attention to their surroundings.... I see a toddler even near the road I slow wayyyyy the 'eff down, and that's starting at 25...... I do like 2 MPH if there are little ones around. Screw the speedy McVies... They flip me off, I blow 'em a kiss. I spend half the day on weekends yelling at cars to slow the 'eff down on our street, and you can't even use our street as a through road, it doesn't go anywhere .... not unless you carry bolt cutters.... I mean, WTF. Kids friggin' everywhere and they do 35-45 without slowing down as they pass kids considerate enough to get to the side.

Not surprised at all over this accident... just saddened.

lisa8439

:clap:
I totally agree - it's easy to say that you would do anything to save/protect your child, but until you are put into a situation like this one, you just don't know for sure how you would react and if you could react in time to make a difference. It's such a split-second decision that you have to make... I don't know this family at all, but I am so proud of this Dad for actually following up what every parent thinks they would do to save their child with his actions.

As for the 'leash' thing... people who think it's abusive would rather have their toddlers run off from them in a crowded Wal-Mart I suppose. I am surprised that most people on the forums think it is abusive... in my mind, *not* doing something to keep an energetic toddler from getting away from you is abusive - and if that something is a little harmless backpack-type leash, then so be it.

I had one for my daughter, who from the age of about 1 and a half to 2 years old would take off like a track star if you so much as blinked. It would have been more 'abusive' to strap her into a cart and have both of us screaming for half an hour while I tried to get a few groceries... she hated being in the cart, a stroller, anything that confined her and didn't allow her to walk - and the way she would scream if you tried to confine her would make someone call CPS much quicker than seeing her in a little monkey harness. Yes, she tried to run in the thing when I first put it on her, but she quickly figured out that she couldn't do that... and that she could either use the harness and walk around, or be strapped into the cart and unable to explore.

Shame on me for giving the kid repressed memories about being on a 'leash' when she was 1, and not having the luxury to leave my kids at home when I needed to go shopping and my husband was gone on TDY or deployed. Guess I'd better start saving for her therapy bill. :lol:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
SO's mom put a leash on him when he was little..only back then they didnt have fancy little backpacks..she used a phone cord :killingme

belvak

Happy Camper
SO's mom put a leash on him when he was little..only back then they didnt have fancy little backpacks..she used a phone cord :killingme

:killingme When we were little, my sister (no older than 2) would run away any chance she got, so my Mom had to put her in a dog harness and chain her to the tree! Believe me, that kid could run, and no fence built could contain her!!! All it would take was one glance away and she was off!! Of course, it didn't take long for her to outgrow that stage!