Help! Bathroom slightly flooded

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Woke up this morning to a bathroom floor full of water. Also through/under wall ajoining living room area of carpet is soaked there. Under the sink is dry so best guess is toilet. I've dried the floor, seems to be a little water around the base of toilet. What's under there (toilet) that would leak? Easy fix or call a plumber? Thanks for any help.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Your toilet is bolted to the drain by four bolts coming up through the base of the toilet. there is a wax ring ($3 at Lowes) between the porcelain and the drain pipe. This could be the source of your leak. You might try just tightening the nuts that hold the toilet down. Replacing the seal is a fairly simple job, turn off the water, drain the toilet, disconnect the water line. Lift off the tank, unbolt the bowl lift it up and replace the seal.

Then put it all back together. Don't forget the teflon tape for the threads on the water line fitting

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Your toilet is bolted to the drain by four bolts coming up through the base of the toilet. there is a wax ring ($3 at Lowes) between the porcelain and the drain pipe. This could be the source of your leak. You might try just tightening the nuts that hold the toilet down. Replacing the seal is a fairly simple job, turn off the water, drain the toilet, disconnect the water line. Lift off the tank, unbolt the bowl lift it up and replace the seal.

Then put it all back together. Don't forget the teflon tape for the threads on the water line fitting

First taste the water. If it doesn't have a "familiar wang" or taste like crap, it probably isn't the wax seal.

Look at the base of the tank where it enters the bowl. That can leak also. You can get that gasket at a hardware store. May as well replace the guts while you have it apart.

Look at the cutoff valve too. Once again, a relatively easy DIY repair.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Thank you for the helpful info. Fortunately I was able to flag down my neighbor before he left for work. He came over and replaced the seal under the toilet. He said the othe one wasn't really that bad and told me to keep an eye on it to see if this works.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Thank you for the helpful info. Fortunately I was able to flag down my neighbor before he left for work. He came over and replaced the seal under the toilet. He said the othe one wasn't really that bad and told me to keep an eye on it to see if this works.

I saw one bathroom toilet somewhere, where there was a bead of RTV on the floor at the base of the commode. I found out that the thought process was, that doing that would prevent leaks. All THAT would do is contain the leak.
You would still have to replace the wax ring and maybe some flooring.

I don't know why I noticed.....

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Sorry, the wax ring was what he replaced. Hopefully this was the issue. I guess we'll find out if I wake up to a flooded bathroom in the morning.

MadDogMarine

Wax rings will only leak when the toilet is flushed or there is a backup from the public utility or sewer pipe. If you dry the area and then flush you will be able to tell immediately if it leaks. If the main drain is clogged it will fill the toilet or leak around the wax seal whichever is easier for the water. Most old time plumbers will always stack two wax seals when they replace them. Insures a good seal in case the toilet gets rocked or an air pocket develops in the wax. If no visible leaking from the fill valve or tank, you can pretty well be assured it is the wax seal.