Fire Department Districts

sockgirl77

Anyone care to explain to me why Bay District is the responding department for Cottonwood Parkway in Wildewood when Hollywood VFD is right up the road? Now I fully understand that Wildewood is in California but Hollywood VFD. One would think that they'd have a much better response time. :confused:

sockgirl77

I was in a car accident in October just past the Wildewood traffic light which is considered Hollywood, I believe, BUT it still is only a minute from Cottonwood Parkway. Hollywood VFD responded to that.

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
Anyone care to explain to me why Bay District is the responding department for Cottonwood Parkway in Wildewood when Hollywood VFD is right up the road? Now I fully understand that Wildewood is in California but Hollywood VFD. One would think that they'd have a much better response time. :confused:

Because Bay District is much faster than Hollywood!:killingme:buddies:

sockgirl77

Bay district is probably dispatched along with Hollywood as 2nd due.

2 Bay District engines showed up just a minute before Hollywood did. I'm not sure how they were dispatched. I just know how they responded.

*Edit to say that other people in the office were saying that Bay District is the one that has responded on other occasions.

sockgirl77

If I can remember the call went out at 7:53 E92 ON ARRIVAL 8:00 E72 ON ARRIVAL 8:02 GREAT RESPONSE TIME BY ALL.

Time must have dragged because it sure seemed like we were waiting much longer than that. :lol: The fire was out by time they got here anyways.

Tech

Time must have dragged because it sure seemed like we were waiting much longer than that. :lol: The fire was out by time they got here anyways.

Cottonwood is Hollywood's area, just off the boarderline. So if Bay District had a jump by having a crew in station then they would most likely be first in. But time of day plays with traffic patterns, late afternoon Bay District is hard pressed to get in first to any area above First Colony.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Hollywood's response area stops at Airport Rd. Bay District 9 is the second due there. It was a commercial fire alarm, with two companies dispatched. 91 and 92 responded at the dispatch, and it took 72 about four and a half minutes to get out, so they had a decent jump on Hollyrock.

sockgirl77

What did you burn?
A damn cig as I was waiting for them. :lol:
Hollywood's response area stops at Airport Rd. Bay District 9 is the second due there. It was a commercial fire alarm, with two companies dispatched. 91 and 92 responded at the dispatch, and it took 72 about four and a half minutes to get out, so they had a decent jump on Hollyrock.

Thanks!:yay:

Uncle Charlie

Beer is Good!!!!
Bay Districts CALIFORNIA station is closer in mileage by a very little bit. Mileage from a fire / rescue station determines the running assignment of 1st due, 2nd due, etc.

Cottonwood is very close to the border of the 2 districts, but Bay District is closer.

sockgirl77

Bay Districts CALIFORNIA station is closer in mileage by a very little bit. Mileage from a fire / rescue station determines the running assignment of 1st due, 2nd due, etc.

Cottonwood is very close to the border of the 2 districts, but Bay District is closer.

Maybe by mileage but not by time especially with the traffic lights. But the outcome was good. Nobody was harmed and there was no property damage.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet

Not always, and this is one of those cases. Since Airport Rd is the end of Hollywood's first due (and Cottonwood Pkwy runs off of Airport), it's Hollywood's box (7-14). Same thing happens down here. Bay District 3 has St. James Church Rd (which is a 3-11 box), but we have Mattapany Rd (which is a 4-02 box). It's just a common boundary to end first due response areas.

big_poppa

A little more info

sockgirl, just to add to the time thing a little more, please remember that when you call 911 that our phone at the Firehouse does not ring with that. You have to wait for the call taker at ECC to take the call, punch all of the information in the CAD, sound all of the tones, Dispatch the call etc... This can take a couple of minutes. Soo, lets just say you called it in a 0748. They took the call, processed everything, hit all of those little pesky buttons they have to hit, dispatched the call and everything and time stamped that at 0753. If a crew is in house it generally takes 45-60 seconds for them to mount up and roll out the door. That means 0754, as stated my two Engine Companies were on the scene at 0800. That is 12 minutes after the call was called in and 6 minutes after dispatch (give or take).

Not saying that it took 5 minutes to process this call, I am just giving you a little behind the scenes look at what happens. G1 is exactly right about the boundaries etc.. That is Hollywoods first due, BDVFD getting there first does not mean it is our area. There are times like someone else said where it is hard for us to even get to Wildewood because of traffic.

When you live somewhere that you are protected by an all Volunteer Service there is no guarantee who will arrive first. All in all, to have 3 engines on the scene 8 minutes after dispatch is OUTSTANDING for any all volunteer service.

I hope this helps, if not PM me, I will give you any other info that you may need.

Shawn

BernieP

Resident PIA
Cottonwood is Hollywood's area, just off the boarderline. So if Bay District had a jump by having a crew in station then they would most likely be first in. But time of day plays with traffic patterns, late afternoon Bay District is hard pressed to get in first to any area above First Colony.
Traffic is definitely a consideration but technically Bay District is 0.1 of a mile closer then Hollywood (3.1 miles vice 3.2).

dan0623_2000

Mileage does play into where the lines are drawn, but also it comes down to tax base. Hollywood always could get to the Wildewood area quicker than Lex Park, but Lex Park won out when it came to redrawing the lines for taxing purposes.