truck and airbags for the suspension

kdknitro

:confused: I was wondering if anyone knows about the laws in maryland about putting airbags on a truck. I was told that it is ilegal to do so. Is this true or not can anyone help me:confused:

TWLs wife

Originally posted by kdknitro
:confused: I was wondering if anyone knows about the laws in maryland about putting airbags on a truck. I was told that it is ilegal to do so. Is this true or not can anyone help me:confused:

I think your right. But I'm not sure.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I have one in my truck, but I can turn it off if I need to.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Re: Re: truck and airbags for the suspension

Originally posted by DoWhat
I have one in my truck, but I can turn it off if I need to.

I think he means suspension airbags, as in the title of the thread

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I think with airbags, you can have them, but they cannot be made to lower your vehicle more than state law permits (I don't know what height that is). There is a loophole that states that no part of your vehicle may hang lower than the lowest point of your rims. You can't drive down the road just higher than laying frame. It's got to be higher than the bottom of your rim. If your parked, I think you can lay frame, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: truck and airbags for the suspension

Originally posted by tys_mommy
I think he means suspension airbags, as in the title of the thread
Oops
Call me a dullard.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
It seems they have a catch all article. § 22-105. Alterations reducing effectiveness of bumpers.

It says, (a) In general.-

(1) If any Class A (passenger) vehicle, any Class E truck with a manufacturer's rating or registered gross vehicle weight of 18,000 pounds or less, or any Class M (multipurpose) vehicle has been altered in any manner that would reduce the effectiveness of its bumpers or suspension or render the vehicle dangerous in the event of a single vehicle accident or a collision with another vehicle, it may not be operated on any highway in this State.

Now if the airbags do not reduce the effectiveness of the bumper I guess you could use them. Probably means that you have to set them to meet the manufacturers specs for height and maintain them there.

John Z

if you will
Sounds very .... open for interpretation. Effective against a stock Z71 Silverado bumper? No. Effective against a Porsche 911 bumper? Sure.

kdknitro

thanks

thanks alot but i still dont know if i can have them. Where did you get that information about the bumbers and the right hieght at. I have checked the dmv but they said ask the police and i cant get anywhere there so thanks for the info.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by John Z
Sounds very .... open for interpretation. Effective against a stock Z71 Silverado bumper? No. Effective against a Porsche 911 bumper? Sure.
Doesn't seem that open, if you "modify" the vehicle and in doing so you have changed the height so that the bumper is no longer as effective as it was in a stock configuration, that would be illegal.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Re: thanks

thanks alot but i still dont know if i can have them. Where did you get that information about the bumbers and the right hieght at. I have checked the dmv but they said ask the police and i cant get anywhere there so thanks for the info.
Maryland Code, Transportation Article.

John Z

if you will
Originally posted by Ken King
Doesn't seem that open, if you "modify" the vehicle and in doing so you have changed the height so that the bumper is no longer as effective as it was in a stock configuration, that would be illegal.

Yeah, one interpretation of the law would be that you can't change the ride height of a vehicle at all. But isn't it true that from the factory, some vehicles come in different heights? Like the 2wd Silverado vs. 4wd Silverado? You bet they do. Some sports models of cars come with a lower ride height from the factory too, like SVT versions of the Ford Focus or the R32 version of the VW Golf...

I think the rule is that you shouldn't go too far with modifications. As long as the constabulary don't notice, they won't hassle you.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by John Z
Yeah, one interpretation of the law would be that you can't change the ride height of a vehicle at all. But isn't it true that from the factory, some vehicles come in different heights? Like the 2wd Silverado vs. 4wd Silverado? You bet they do. Some sports models of cars come with a lower ride height from the factory too, like SVT versions of the Ford Focus or the R32 version of the VW Golf...

I think the rule is that you shouldn't go too far with modifications. As long as the constabulary don't notice, they won't hassle you.
And another interpretation would be that as long as you aren't extreme about the change it is no big deal. However, they specifically state what is illegal as the height is increased (by class) but one couldn't expect a law to list what would be too low based on the various automobiles and the differing bumper configurations.

But go ahead and modify yours and then if in an accident maybe your insurance will refuse to cover the altered vehicle or you will discover that the change did in fact remove some of the protective capability of the original design.