fiberglass door

I bought a fiberglass door with side panel last year and unfortunately thought I'd save money by getting an unfinished door and getting someone local to stain it for me. A couple hundred dollars and a few hours later I had a beautiful door and side panel with a really lousy stain job that was never finished. I hate it. Now I'm hoping to find a professional to remove the stain and paint it with the same paint color as on our shutters (I have the paint). I don't want to go through this again so I'm hoping I can find a serious minded person who would do a good job without costing an arm and a leg. I want to get a storm door put in also, so someone who knows how to do that would be a plus. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was so excited getting the door but haven't been able to really enjoy it since buying it.

R

rhenderson

You should be able to simply paint over the stain finish. It may take a couple of coats of base coat/stain blocker (checkout KILZ).

As for "removing the stain" that's probably only possible by heavy sanding.

I am not a professional- check with a paint store - and probably other than the paint department at Wal-Mart /Lowes.

owenslx3

you cant sand the stain out of the grooves on those doors....you should lightly sand it though and get something better than kilz....go to a paint store and see what they recommend. Those doors can be a real pain, even for profesional painters. if you get a lot of sun on that side of your house, it might not be a good idea to put a storm door on it

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I bought a fiberglass door with side panel last year and unfortunately thought I'd save money by getting an unfinished door and getting someone local to stain it for me. A couple hundred dollars and a few hours later I had a beautiful door and side panel with a really lousy stain job that was never finished. I hate it. Now I'm hoping to find a professional to remove the stain and paint it with the same paint color as on our shutters (I have the paint). I don't want to go through this again so I'm hoping I can find a serious minded person who would do a good job without costing an arm and a leg. I want to get a storm door put in also, so someone who knows how to do that would be a plus. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was so excited getting the door but haven't been able to really enjoy it since buying it.

Auto Body shop will paint it for you, or anyone that does auto paint.

you cant sand the stain out of the grooves on those doors....you should lightly sand it though and get something better than kilz....go to a paint store and see what they recommend. Those doors can be a real pain, even for profesional painters. if you get a lot of sun on that side of your house, it might not be a good idea to put a storm door on it

About the storm door and sun, why not?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
that's good for covering over a gel stain?

They can fix cars that have been wrecked. Can remove anything from the finish of a car and repaint it, why wouldn't they be able to do a door?

I would think a good sand (or walnut shell) blasting would do the trick in a matter of minutes, then prime and paint. An hour or two of labor at the worst.