Butcher block

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Can you refinish butcher block? I got a secondhand kitchen cart with a butcher block top..and the previous owner had a bunch of tacky green fish stamps on it..and I would really love to sand them off..

limblips

PREMO Member
Can you refinish butcher block? I got a secondhand kitchen cart with a butcher block top..and the previous owner had a bunch of tacky green fish stamps on it..and I would really love to sand them off..

Sure you can. A couple of hints: If the butcher block is end grain, be sure to sand in ONE direction only, otherwise sand with the grain. If you plan on using the butcher block as a cutting board, use a oil finish safe for foods. If you don't plan to use it for food prep, a few coats of clear polyurethane will look great and last a long time.

Jameo

What?!
:yeahthat:

Sand it down, seal it with mineral oil.

A food grade mineral oil, right? I have no clue if all mineral oil is food grade or not. Thought I heard use food grade mineral oil when treating a cutting board :shrug:

A food grade mineral oil, right? I have no clue if all mineral oil is food grade or not. Thought I heard use food grade mineral oil when treating a cutting board :shrug:
I believe all mineral oil is food grade, but if it's not, then only use food grade.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Thanks guys..I was a little worried about refinishing it..but by all accounts I think it looks pretty easy to do...I can't wait...kitchen carts are so darn expensive I got a great deal on this one..and I didn't want to have to look at fish stamps..:killingme