Area Travel/Attractions/Input Please

LadyCoyote

People of the SOMD Forum -- I need some help / input.

I've got my folks coming to visit later this summer. Could use some ideas for short (day trips) on places of interest to visit. StepDad loves history...I was thinking definitely a visit to Washington D.C., and also Fredericksburg, Va.

Other possibilities: visiting Calvert Marine Musuem, Sotterly Plantation.

How is the Piney Point Lighthouse? PAX River NAS Musuem?

Any other ideas for short jaunts, or "must sees"?

These folks NEVER take vacations, and so the fact that they are prying themselves away from work and making a trip out here = big deal (to us).

Thanks, forum, for input. I haven't lived here long enough myself to discover all the interesting stuff around the area. Nothing like having company, to get that match lit underneath us to explore the local area.

THANK YOU.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
An old issue of Chesapeake Life magazine has some good ideas, and an article was written that lists "100 Classics - Our tribute to the Bay's unforgettable characters and quirks, landmarks and traditions".

It's a great article, in large part, because it lists things to do, places to go, people to see, and a lot of the history that surrounds the Chesapeake Bay.

For those people who are interested in going somewhere different and seeing something new, you should check out this article to get some good ideas of interesting day trips within a 3 hours drive of here. I'm already trying to plan out a chance to mark off all 100 items from my "Must Do" List. If you need ideas for out-of-town guests, or if you're just tired of doing the ole' same-ole-same-ole, you can get some really fun ideas here.

Check out the full article:

100 Chesapeake Classics
You know them when you see them, those icons of the Bay, from blue crabs to crabby Willy Don. Here's our salute to the region's unforgettable people, places, and things.

Chesapeake Life | Travel > Berlin’s GlenRiddle Golf Course

JoeR

If they like sports you can take them to a Blue Crabs or Bowie Baysox game. Or if they're into racing there's Maryland International Raceway (MIR) for drag racing.

mdff21

Gettysburg is not bad for a day trip. Little over 2 hours but lots of history, battlefield, museums etc. Baltimore, Inner Harbor, Fort McHenry, aquarium.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Must do DC and must do Sotterley.

Take them on walkabout - jump in the car and see St. George Island (and hit the PP lighthouse while you're in the area), and tour the 7th district. And don't laugh about the 7th, my folks loved it!

They must eat stuffed ham and pick crabs while they're here because that's such a Maryland thing to do.

S

shagger

How 'bout a walk across the TJ? For a bit of excitement and cool down - I hear a swan dive from the top is popular... :yahoo:

Mountain MaMa

WV bound
St Mary's City, Colonial Williamsburg ( more than a day trip probably and a little commercial, but we like it), are they still doing skipjack dinner cruises?

LadyCoyote

Thanks guys, for ALL the suggestions...and please keep 'em coming!
I appreciate that link to the magazine, and I'm definitely going to look at that. Also, Gettysburg, D.C., and all the other suggestions...Good info. to know. You're right about crab and stuffed ham. Don't get much of that type of food in Southern AZ. On that note, muchas gracias!