Generator recommendations...

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I'm going to go ahead and get a small unit (3250/3500 watts). We're due for some bad weather this hurricane season so I wanna be ready. I'm going to back feed through my dryer outlet.

What do you all have? Likes/dislikes?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
More is more.

Ohms law; 3,500 ain't much.

How much of an object is money?

You can go with this;

Shop for Honda Power Equipment

Or you can find noisy, decent 6/kdubs under a grand

Also, what's your fuel preference? :buddies:
Holy googa munga Larry! :lmao: $5K?? :faint:

If I were gonna jump to that wattage, I'd go with this...
http://www.lowes.com/pd_296701-348-30341_5002559_?productId=1243099&Ntt=generators&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Stocked%2Bin%2BStores_5002559__s?Ntt=generators$Va=29

I have an all electric house so cooking/heating/AC are out. All I need are lights/plugs which keeps me online and my alarm clock working. 13 amps @240V will do me nicely. I'm the guy with low 'lectric bills too. :buddies:

Last edited:
I have a preference for units that use Honda or Subaru motors. I've had my 2200w unit since hurricane Gloria, it has never let me down. Briggs units tend to use more fuel, are louder and seem to require more maintenance/attention. I loath Tecumseh motors.

If you plan on going 220V into the breaker panel, go bigger than 3500w. More like 6000-6500, especially if you have well water.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Holy googa munga Larry! :lmao: $5K?? :faint:

If I were gonna jump to that wattage, I'd go with this... http://www.lowes.com/pd_296701-348-30341_5002559_?productId=1243099&Ntt=generators&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Stocked%2Bin%2BStores_5002559__s?Ntt=generators$Va=29

I have an all electric house so cooking/heating/AC are out. All I need are lights/plugs which keeps me online and my alarm clock working. 13 amps @240V will do me nicely. I'm the guy with low 'lectric bills too. :buddies:

It is a NICE uni! :lol:

13 amps ain't sheeeeet. City water pressure?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I have a preference for units that use Honda or Subaru motors. I've had my 2200w unit since hurricane Gloria, it has never let me down. Briggs units tend to use more fuel, are louder and seem to require more maintenance/attention. I loath Tecumseh motors.

If you plan on going 220V into the breaker panel, go bigger than 3500w. More like 6000-6500, especially if you have well water.
No well water. I know what you're saying though....start up current.

I was kicking around going to the 6kw units but really can't justify it. I don't cook and I can do without heat/AC for a day or so. All I need is the fridge, TV, router/modem and my laptop. :biggrin:

No well water. I know what you're saying though....start up current.

I was kicking around going to the 6kw units but really can't justify it. I don't cook and I can do without heat/AC for a day or so. All I need it the fridge, TV, router/modem and my laptop. :biggrin:

That's what I run on my 2200w. The big issue is surge. If everything is staggered, I can run the fridge, downstairs freezer, TV and acces., computer, and lights, and in the winter the pellet stove.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's what I run on my 2200w. The big issue is surge. If everything is staggered, I can run the fridge, downstairs freezer, TV and acces., computer, and lights, and in the winter the pellet stove.

Care to explain how you coordinate the compressors on the fridge and the freezer? :lol:

:popcorn:

:buddies:

Vince

5500 Watt Portable Generator - Generators - Troy Bilt

Currently have this one. Go to Lowes and price them. Comes with a 220 plug, but you'll have to get something to adapt to where you're plugging it into. Recommend you see what you want to run with it and go from there, and get an adapter kit for the plug in. You won't be able to run heat pumps, but it will run an air con window unit. Don't try to run your deep well pump off of it unless you want to take the chance on burning it up and replacing it. From everything I've read, portable generators might not operate at the exact voltage and freqs required by a deep well pump. I run my frig, freezer, some lights, TV, etc. off of it and not all at once. In the summer, I used it when we had the hurricane come through and had a window air con unit on it as well. Never really loaded it down to see what it could do.

Care to explain how you coordinate the compressors on the fridge and the freezer? :lol:

:popcorn:

:buddies:

Easy. Fire one up, let the gen stabilize. A few minutes later, fire up the other one. The compressor cycles never both turn on at the same time after that. They can run fine together, just can't turn them on both at the same time. I've run for 7 days like that.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Here's what I'm looking at. It has the Briggs engine.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_112515-348-30378_5002559_?productId=1205237&Ntt=generators&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Stocked%2Bin%2BStores_5002559__s?Ntt=generators$Va=29

Where would one find the honda units?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Easy. Fire one up, let the gen stabilize. A few minutes later, fire up the other one. The compressor cycles never both turn on at the same time after that. They can run fine together, just can't turn them on both at the same time. I've run for 7 days like that.

You're one of them A types ain't y'ah? :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Here's what I'm looking at. It has the Briggs engine.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_112515-348-30378_5002559_?productId=1205237&Ntt=generators&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Stocked%2Bin%2BStores_5002559__s?Ntt=generators$Va=29

Where would one find the honda units?

you suck at linking to links. :tap:

Vince

Don't forget to cut your main off on the CB panel or you'll be backfeeding through the power lines. That's why elect code says you have to have that power adapter for the gen, it automatically does it for you.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Don't forget to cut your main off on the CB panel or you'll be backfeeding through the power lines.

But Vince, how else will you know when the mains come back on line if the generator doesn't...let you know?

:evil:

All kidding aside, anyone who doesn't understand what he means, CLEARLY, don't do it!!! Run you some drop cords to your essentials.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
you suck at linking to links. :tap:
I'm copying and pasting. What am I doing wrong?

Don't forget to cut your main off on the CB panel or you'll be backfeeding through the power lines. That's why elect code says you have to have that power adapter for the gen, it automatically does it for you.
Yea I'll have to turn off the main. I rarely lose power so I'm not going all out with the transfer switch. I'm on the Lowes site lookin.