Groundhog Removal

bobbiecoda

We have a groundhog living in the back yard under the shed. We live in a community in Charles County. Our house backs up to a large school yard. So lots of land for wildlife.

We need to relocate the groundhog and checked with the humane society and with animal control. AC put us in touch with a company who will come out and trap the animal and make sure there are not others and then relocate it or them.

My question is this the right way to go? I thought maybe animal control would handle it and not refer it to a private company who contacted us. Any other suggestions or contacts?

Thank you for your help.

Bowser

Why?

We have a groundhog living in the back yard under the shed. We live in a community in Charles County. Our house backs up to a large school yard. So lots of land for wildlife.

We need to relocate the groundhog and checked with the humane society and with animal control. AC put us in touch with a company who will come out and trap the animal and make sure there are not others and then relocate it or them.

My question is this the right way to go? I thought maybe animal control would handle it and not refer it to a private company who contacted us. Any other suggestions or contacts?

Thank you for your help.

Why do you want to remove the groundhog? Why can't you just live in your house while he lives under your shed?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

Thank you for your help.

Yes. AC budgets are even more limited and constrained in these modern times than yours, and they have extremely limited resources. If the ground hog is truly being a pest then, call the removal company.

I have ground hogs, possoms, raccoons, and more in my yard, and I leave them be, unless they are exibiting signs of rabies.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
That's funny because I discovered one living under my shed (youngster I assume as it's not that big yet) and I started feeding it veggies. So cute .....

... of course they wreak havoc on the horse fields, and I end up having to mark the big holes so the horses don't step in them but .... Chucky deserves to live too.

Awwww, I love groundhogs. You can bring him to my house and I'll take care of him. :smile:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Yes.. they are cute.. but you have to draw a line at some point!

Several years ago a farmer asked the guy I was dating to help out with the groundhog issue he was having..... and in ONE day we got rid of over 30 off of his farm. They were effing up his crops that bad!

I think all together we took out over 100 groundhogs... :shug:

Thats alot of damage!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
What's the difference between a woodchuck and a groundhog? I see them all over the place and never know which is which.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
oh MY !!!! YIKES !!! We don't have any crops growing, so I'm sure that helps to keep the population down? I bet if we had crops, and we had THAT many, we'd be getting rid of some of them.

Several years ago a farmer asked the guy I was dating to help out with the groundhog issue he was having..... and in ONE day we got rid of over 30 off of his farm. They were effing up his crops that bad!

I think all together we took out over 100 groundhogs... :shug:

Thats alot of damage!

yknotpoms

SOMD POM MOM

/QUOTE]

They ate through my phone cable....Now they are digging holes in my front yard...I think I found my line....I would rather trap and move then kill because as said they are cuties

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I think mine ate the flower bulbs out of the pot I was TRYING to grow them in? That's why I started feeding it vegetables. I thought they preferred to eat clover? Maybe I better go back and finish reading the link I posted earlier LOL.

/QUOTE]

They ate through my phone cable....Now they are digging holes in my front yard...I think I found my line....I would rather trap and move then kill because as said they are cuties

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

/QUOTE]

sure... trap one or two...

but how the heck would you trap and relocate over a 100?

oohhh but just think if he chews your electric line... you best hope he grounds it out to fault it all the way.... or it could cause power surges or even low voltage issues.. :yay:

thesilentwoman

When this happened to us, we used a trick from Yankeeland: take USED kitty litter---that which has been urinated upon by actual cats---and pour it down the hole and wait a day for the animal to clear out. If the groundhog has babies in the burrow, she'll remove them in a hurry and you can fill the hole in, secure in the knowledge that no other critter will want to live in that stench...We used two litter boxes worth and it did the trick...