Access to dam at St. Mary's Lake

zoner

Doomed
Does anybody know if there is a back way into the far end of the dam at St. Mary's Lake? The hike around from the boat ramp is a bit much for some of the kiddies, and I think there may be a back road that comes to the far end of the dam. Used to be great kiddie fishing back there. Web maps show different roads and layouts that don't match. Can I park somewhere near there coming from Indian Bridge side?
Thanks,
zoner

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
Does anybody know if there is a back way into the far end of the dam at St. Mary's Lake? The hike around from the boat ramp is a bit much for some of the kiddies, and I think there may be a back road that comes to the far end of the dam. Used to be great kiddie fishing back there. Web maps show different roads and layouts that don't match. Can I park somewhere near there coming from Indian Bridge side?
Thanks,
zoner
Never been there and don't know if it is private or public property but there is definitely a (dirt/gravel) road from Indian Bridge Rd to the dam. And there is a clearing right before the dam which looks like it may be possible to park.

Coming from Great Mills (Rt 5), it would be about a quarter mile past Bean Family Ln on the left. This road has no name. MapQuest has this road labeled as Silence Rest Ln (which is actually another quarter mile further up) and Google Maps has this road labeled as Onion Fields Ln (which is actually three quarters of a mile before).

You can use this link to give you an accurate map. To show an aerial view, on the left side, put a check in SMC_2008.sid. The link will probably be a bit slow so be patient.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
That road is decieving. It appears to be a straight shot in, but that part of it is overgrown and chained off. The only way to access it would be using the Bean Family Lane.

google - Google Maps

But when you drill down, you see that its not really a connection, just a track the DNR guys can use. I imagine civilians are encouraged, maybe not allowed.

google - Google Maps

foosballpaul

Be careful around the dam area. It used to be infested with copperheads. Saw more snakes around the dam than any other part of the lake.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Yikes, I go there quite a bit and luckly haven't seen any snakes yet. I'll keep a closer watch after my dogs there. I've seen a few snakes in Cedarville State Forest though...

mingiz

Horse Poor
There is a road from Indian Bridge to the back of the dam but it is blocked off to traffic. It is for DNR use only. The other OP mention Onion ln and other roads that will get you to the lake but I would advise not to do that it's private land and some of them back there can get red necked..:popcorn:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Yikes, I go there quite a bit and luckly haven't seen any snakes yet. I'll keep a closer watch after my dogs there. I've seen a few snakes in Cedarville State Forest though...

Well looking at the map it would appear that they don't want you near the lake - if that keeps traffic down, it would be just fine with the copperheads.

There is a path in from Redbud Dr looks like a public road, but the finally connection is Montgomery LN, which would appear to be a private driveway.
It extends past the residence and to the damn (at least as a foot path.
But I see no place to park even if you wanted to hike in.
Speaking of hiking, the imagery doesn't show any paths from the parking area to the damn.
I don't think they want you to go there.:whistle: