Injured Bird--Hawk?

refugee44

I've found a clearly injured bird in my back yard, I think it's a hawk of some type, picture attached. I've called animal control and about 5 animal rescue organizations. No one seems to be able to help, yet. Any ideas? It has a big beak and big talons and I'm not interested in being injured by this very scared bird. Thoughts?

Attachments

• injured hawk.jpg
    injured hawk.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 222

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
That's an osprey. I can't believe animal control won't come get it. They are protected.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
I've found a clearly injured bird in my back yard, I think it's a hawk of some type, picture attached. I've called animal control and about 5 animal rescue organizations. No one seems to be able to help, yet. Any ideas? It has a big beak and big talons and I'm not interested in being injured by this very scared bird. Thoughts?

Juvenile osprey..current the call of the week...it has speckles on the back and the wings. Most juveniles have deep to light orange eyes.
They are ok to pick up...just watch for the beak action.

I rescued and helpr renested 2 of them last week.
This is the time they fledge...begin to fly....they hop outta the nest and fly..and fly..and fly and then they run out of energy and crash land...and then just sit there....
They have no more energy to fly, have no idea where they are and no idea how to get home. Parents have no idea where they are,..so the babies go hungry, and if not noticed, may not survive.

Osprey mortality at this age can be as high as 50%!
Many drown...or get water in their lungs, get picked up and suffer fom pneumonia.

If you see one looking lost and stupid, call me, or and other rehabber...I will pick up ASAP and get it to a friend who renests them.

Renesting is very successful, as momma will feed what is in the nest...no matter who it is...

Great job in finding this osprey and getting it help!!!:buddies: