Whatcha reading?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm almost finished with Sizzling Sixteen. It's your basic Stephanie Plum novel, nothing new, light and entertaining.

Next up is The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, because a friend recommended it. I suspect I'll have to engage my brain before reading this one, so we'll see how I feel when I'm through with Stephanie.

rpexie

.:Georgia Peach:.
I went to Boarders today and I saw "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and right next to it was "The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest". I was wondering what they were about, odd that you should mention it!! I also saw it on my Netflix queue, but if its a good read I wont watch it until after I read it.

I just got finished reading "Afternoons with Emily", its a historical fiction story thats about Emily Dickinson. I absolutely LOVED it. I was sad when it was over because it was such a good read. Emily Dickinson is a really interesting person,
very eccentric. Sadly, the author only wrote that one novel and died a few days after its completion (her children made sure it was published). A great read if you like historical fiction, which is my favorite!

I ended up leaving Boarders with a complete collection of Jane Austen's works (it was only 25 bucks!!! :nerd:) I saw so many books I wanted in there though, I was like a kid in a candy store!

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
I'm almost finished with Sizzling Sixteen. It's your basic Stephanie Plum novel, nothing new, light and entertaining.

Next up is The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, because a friend recommended it. I suspect I'll have to engage my brain before reading this one, so we'll see how I feel when I'm through with Stephanie.

That is why I like them. I haven't read it yet.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Re-reading & catching up on: Elizabeth Lowell, Rachel Gibson, Jennifer Crusie, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (16 was okay but not one of her best), J.D. Robb, Nora Roberts (haven't read the newest, may pick it up today), just discovered Lisa Jackson, still trying to work my way through Pat Conroy's South of Broad.

Karen White's Folly Beach was good, but disturbing -- one of those books where a certain scene or plot idea just sticks with you, won't let go & depresses the hell out of you. Is that a "requirement" for books about "The South"? Also working my way through Dorothea Benton Frank's books about the Savannah area (yeah, there's that South thing again...). Can't decide if I like them or not but still picking them up to read.

I need to get rid of some of my books....

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Just finished reading Clive Cussler "Medusa", great read. Now I'm reading "The Spy" also by Clive Cussler another great read. I love the action/adventure type books.

Cowgirl

Recently finished the most recent Charlaine Harris "Sookie" book. Now I'm reading (whenever I have the time) a book about some cat who lives in a library. Dewey something? A coworker lent it to me.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Re-reading & catching up on: Elizabeth Lowell, Rachel Gibson, Jennifer Crusie, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (16 was okay but not one of her best), J.D. Robb, Nora Roberts (haven't read the newest, may pick it up today), just discovered Lisa Jackson, still trying to work my way through Pat Conroy's South of Broad.

Karen White's Folly Beach was good, but disturbing -- one of those books where a certain scene or plot idea just sticks with you, won't let go & depresses the hell out of you. Is that a "requirement" for books about "The South"? Also working my way through Dorothea Benton Frank's books about the Savannah area (yeah, there's that South thing again...). Can't decide if I like them or not but still picking them up to read.

I need to get rid of some of my books....

yup. its called the "southern grotesque". I love southern lit with a passion :howdy:nothing better...william faulkner..Tennessee williams..eudora (sp?)welty , flannery o'connor...Weird stuff.

I can't really get into most new novels..they all feel like poorly written trashy romance novels to me. They lack something. I try..nicholas sparks, whatever the chick is that writes about the amish, I just can't get into them. Seems like the only thing to write about these days is a mystery where the main characters fall in love. borrring.

I'm oscillating between the Help Wanted ads and the Retirement Homes sections......

Interesting reading.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Yep. I'm about 20 pages in. :lol: The cat's name is Dewey Readmore Books. :lol:

Way cool! I'm going to have to track this one down. I have a series of instructional videos to use with the kids that features a Librarian named "Ms. Readmore". Wonder if the producers knew this cat? :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Seems like the only thing to write about these days is a mystery where the main characters fall in love. borrring.

Here are some of my favorite authors, and I think you would enjoy their books:

Lee Child (Reacher series)
John Sandford (Prey series)
Robert B. Parker (Spenser series)
Michael Connolly
Vince Flynn
David Baldacci

Crichton used to be my absolute favorite but he's dead now, so no more books from him.

Bay_Kat

Tropical

Michael Connolly
Vince Flynn
David Baldacci

Crichton used to be my absolute favorite but he's dead now, so no more books from him.

I think you posted in another thread that you read "Pirate Latitudes" which made me decide to read it, it wasn't bad.

There are a couple of books by Lisa Castillo that I want to read. Has anyone here read anything she's written, thoughts?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

Michael Connolly
Vince Flynn
David Baldacci

Sweet. Amazon tonight i think..I could use a new book.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Currently "re-reading" several novels

Debt of Honor by Tom Clancy - amazing how close he comes to the truth sometimes (in my car for when I'm waiting for the kids to come out of camp)

The Homing by John Saul - because its disturbing (started it on vacation)

and the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (in home reading)

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I've been reading a lot of non-fiction lately, which is weird for me. Mostly books about food, which I realize might qualify me as being strange. :lol:

I can't really get into most new novels..they all feel like poorly written trashy romance novels to me. They lack something. I try..nicholas sparks, whatever the chick is that writes about the amish, I just can't get into them. Seems like the only thing to write about these days is a mystery where the main characters fall in love. borrring.

You should pick up "The Art of Racing in the Rain". I read a lot and usually don't play favorites, but this is my absolute favorite book. The premise is slightly ridiculous (narrated by a dog), but you get over that before you're even past the first page. It's excellent. The author has another book out (Raven Stole the Moon) that I'm waiting on from the library.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Currently "re-reading" several novels

Debt of Honor by Tom Clancy - amazing how close he comes to the truth sometimes (in my car for when I'm waiting for the kids to come out of camp)

The Homing by John Saul - because its disturbing (started it on vacation)

and the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (in home reading)

I've just been given about a dozen Tom Clancy books that are right now on top of the fridge in my garage, maybe I'll get around to reading them next.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
How freakin' sad is it that I can't even recall the last book that I read?

Now, I do read the hell out of some cookbooks, but they don't count as "real" reading. :lol: I LOVE reading cookbooks.

betty99

I haven't read any fiction in a while, might need to get my Plum fix.

Currently reading Living Successfully with Screwed Up People.