Breitbart's Sherrod/NAACP story disintegrates

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
"Yesterday, Andrew Breitbart released heavily-edited video of a speech that Shirley Sherrod, then-USDA Georgia Director of Rural Development gave at the NAACP Freedom Fund dinner in Georgia this year. Breitbart writes that in the video, "this federally appointed executive bureaucrat lays out in stark detail, that her federal duties are managed through the prism of race and class distinctions."

But Breitbart's suggestion that Sherrod was describing actions that she recently took as an Obama administration official is clearly false.

In an interview with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Sherrod said that her comments had been taken out of context, and that the story she had described took place decades ago, when she worked for the Federation of Southern Cooperative/Land Assistance Fund:

But Tuesday morning, Sherrod said what online viewers weren't told in reports posted throughout the day Monday was that the tale she told at the banquet happened 24 years ago -- before she got the USDA job -- when she worked with the Georgia field office for the Federation of Southern Cooperative/Land Assistance Fund.

Sherrod said the short video clip excluded the breadth of the story about how she eventually worked with the man over a two-year period to help ward off foreclosure of his farm, and how she eventually became friends with him and his wife.

"And I went on to work with many more white farmers," she said. "The story helped me realize that race is not the issue, it's about the people who have and the people who don't. When I speak to groups, I try to speak about getting beyond the issue of race."

The facts corroborate Sherrod's statements about when the story she described took place. In the video, Sherrod describes her work helping a "white farmer save his farm." Sherrod says in the video that she took the farmer to a lawyer who "had attended some of the training that we had provided, because Chapter 12 bankruptcy had just been enacted for the family farm."

Chapter 12 bankruptcy was enacted in 1986. In a June 2009 press release touting Sherrod's appointment to USDA, the Federation/LAF states that Sherrod had worked for them "Since 1985."

Breitbart has still yet to release the full video of Sherrod's speech.

In a CNN interview today, the wife of the farmer called Sherrod a "friend" and praised her for having "helped us save our farm."

More at: Breitbart's Sherrod/NAACP story disintegrates | Media Matters for America

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
As the dust settles, it appears that Sherrod's version is true. So now the focus will hopefully move to the administration as they try to explain why they moved so agressively and quickly to get Sherrod to resign.

Or maybe it won't.

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
As the dust settles, it appears that Sherrod's version is true. So now the focus will hopefully move to the administration as they try to explain why they moved so agressively and quickly to get Sherrod to resign. Or maybe it won't.

Excellent point.

Pete

Repete
As the dust settles, it appears that Sherrod's version is true. So now the focus will hopefully move to the administration as they try to explain why they moved so agressively and quickly to get Sherrod to resign.

Or maybe it won't.
She was reverse Reverend Wrighted! :jameo:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I feel dirty now, but I'm beginning to agree with nonno, It's beginning to look like she may have been railroaded.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Ex-Ag Official Says White House Forced Her Out Without Hearing 'Truth' About Video

The Department of Agriculture official who resigned Monday over a YouTube clip said the White House forced her out of her job without bothering to hear her side of the story.

A statement by the NAACP, stripped from its website on Tuesday morning, acknowledged an apparent moral behind Sherrod's story, but said she gave "no indication" in the video that she tried to "right the wrong."

"We are appalled by her actions, just as we are with abuses of power against farmers of color and female farmers," the statement said. "Her actions were shameful."

The NAACP released a brief statement Tuesday afternoon saying it was "conducting an investigation" and trying to reach out to Sherrod -- the NAACP said an "updated statement" would follow.
Why does Obama's WH and the NAACP hate its own people?

Curious, did the NAACP ever retract that resolution or conduct an investigation during the conflict with the Tea Party? I didn't hear about it if they did, but they were pretty quick to pull their first statement regarding this incident.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
"In an interview with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Sherrod said that her comments had been taken out of context, and that the story she had described took place decades ago, when she worked for the Federation of Southern Cooperative/Land Assistance Fund:

The facts corroborate Sherrod's statements about when the story she described took place.

and yet the WHITE HOUSE insisted she resign. She was driving home from the conference and the WHITE HOUSE insisted she pull over to the side of the road and formaly resign.

Why did they do that?

This_person

"Sherrod said the short video clip excluded the breadth of the story about how she eventually worked with the man over a two-year period to help ward off foreclosure of his farm, and how she eventually became friends with him and his wife.

"And I went on to work with many more white farmers," she said. "The story helped me realize that race is not the issue, it's about the people who have and the people who don't. When I speak to groups, I try to speak about getting beyond the issue of race."
So, she "eventually" worked with the man she said acted "superior", and then with more white folk, and that she finally realized as a result of this that race is not the issue.

Wouldn't that strongly imply that she thought race WAS the issue, and that she didn't immediately (instead, eventually) worked with the family?

I agree, this sounds like the story of a reformed racist, not necessarily a current one. Racist when she took these actions, which appear to be years old.

Let's not lose that she was a horrific racist, though.

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
and yet the WHITE HOUSE insisted she resign. She was driving home from the conference and the WHITE HOUSE insisted she pull over to the side of the road and formaly resign.Why did they do that?

The call you are referencing was from the DoA not from the White House so, pending more substantive information it's just hearsay
that the "White House" had anything do do with her resignation.

Last edited:

This_person

The call you are referencing was from the DoA not from the White House so it's just hearsay pending more substantive information.

She named the person who called her, and has resigned.

This part of the story, I suspect, will remain true.

E

EmptyTimCup

"Yesterday, Andrew Breitbart released heavily-edited video of a speech that Shirley Sherrod, then-USDA Georgia Director of Rural Development gave at the NAACP Freedom Fund dinner in Georgia this year. Breitbart writes that in the video, "this federally appointed executive bureaucrat lays out in stark detail, that her federal duties are managed through the prism of race and class distinctions."

well if she was so innocent, why the sudden departure within hours of the story hitting Fox News :popcorn: