Grease stain laundry tip

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Most of you probably know this, but for those who don't:

If you get a grease stain on your clothing from, oh say, blopping vinaigrette down the front of your shirt (although I don't know what kind of slob does stuff like that :whistle:), rub the stain with Dawn dish detergent and let it set for a few minutes.

Rinse well, then wash as usual. Presto!

And this works even if the clothing has been washed and the stain is set.

Wenchy

Hot Flash

If you get a grease stain on your clothing from, oh say, blopping vinaigrette down the front of your shirt (although I don't know what kind of slob does stuff like that :whistle:), rub the stain with Dawn dish detergent and let it set for a few minutes.

Good to know. :yay:

Carpet stains can be taken out with simple Windex. Spray, rub in with a clean cloth (I use old t-shirts) leave for a few minutes, return with a clean cloth (or same one...depending) rub and stain should be gone.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Don't'cha mean VIOLA! (?) :lmao:
Awesome stuff; that Dawn dish soap, huh?
The trick is to not use TOO much. If you can; after you scrub the stain; I use a toothbrush sometimes; run the clothing under warm/hot water then rinse in cold water til the bubbles stop. I forgot to thoroughly rinse a pair of jeans once and I had a bubble machine.

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:howdy: I knew that! It gets oil and grease off of birds and wildlife...

Hey! They should use that stuff in Gulf!!

DEEKAYPEE8569

Carpet stains can be taken out with simple Windex. Spray, rub in with a clean cloth (I use old t-shirts) leave for a few minutes, return with a clean cloth (or same one...depending) rub and stain should be gone.

"Greased Lightning" works rah-tha well also; but you might want to test a lesser-seen spot first, if you're using it on dark fabrics, just to be safe.

C

CalvertNewbie

Thanks, I actually didn't know that. Maybe I'll be able to get a couple of hubby's shirts clean after all. Just last week, I retired them to the "work around the house/yard drawer". I have no clue what the heck he got on them but nothing I've tried has worked so I gave up.

Yes, that works really well. With a dog, cat and little man, I make sure to never run out of Windex. It's saved our carpets on many occasions.

H

HouseCat

wtf.. .I've been soaking mine in Clorox 2 to no avail.. figure if that didn't get it out nothing would. Course, it just fades the grease stain, but doesn't totally get it out.

Never thought of using Dawn... good tip. Thanks.

Dang... all the clothes I've thrown out. :tantrum

oldman

Lobster Land
Another tip I've learned. I always keep an SOS pad on the kitchen sink but to keep them from rusting away rather quickly I've been placing them on a small sponge. They last at least three times as long now.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Also the old fashion hair spray (aqua net et al) work for removing ink stains.