Solomons Offshore Grand Prix

SOGP

Home of the National Championship Race for the 2010 OPA Offshore Racing Series, presented by GEICO, sponsored by Bayside Chevrolet. October 1,2,3, 2010.

It's official, the Jersey Boyz are back, but this time the OPA National Championship Race will be determined in the waters off Solomons Island. GEICO has teamed with Bayside Chevrolet, the Chesapeake Bay Power Boat Association and our sponsors to secure a knock-down, drag-out race course in front of the main sea wall on Solomons Island. Spectators and fans will find plenty of parking and up-close viewing of some of the worlds fastest boats on the water today, racing for the Championship, including the World Famous Miss GEICO.

We've planned a weekend of activities for everyone, so bring the whole family for the weekend!!

On Saturday, spectators and fans will be able to tour the Race Village/Pits area where they can see the boats up close, meet the race teams, buy souvenirs and T's, grab a bite to eat and much more. On Saturday evening, all of the race boats and teams will be lined up down by "The Boardwalk” for a Key West style street party. Also on Saturday, for you boaters, the Chesapeake Bay will be holding it's Offshore Heroes Poker Run.

On Sunday, Race Day, grab a spot at the sea wall and watch the boats fly by at unbelievable speeds. Bring your camera, you're not going to believe your eyes!!

For more information go CBPBA Offshore Racing Event

Attachments

• GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Dates would be good..

And if they can be seen that well from the Island does that mean they'll be racing in the River? Won't the bridge be a challenge to get around??

Just seems to me by the time these boats get to speed.. they'll have to slow down to turn around... Have a layout of the racing course perchance?? If it's true that we can see them from Solomons I'd LOVE to go see them..

Last edited:

SOGP

Sorry about the dates......

Its October 1,2,3 2010

The course can be seen from the Seawall on Solomons with no problem and we race on course this big all the time. We do not go under the bridge. I have attached a picture of the course.

Attachments

• solomonscourse.jpg
    solomonscourse.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 225
Sorry about the dates......

Its October 1,2,3 2010

The course can be seen from the Seawall on Solomons with no problem and we race on course this big all the time. We do not go under the bridge. I have attached a picture of the course.

Like where turns 1 and 2 are!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
WOW, that's a SMAAAALL course for offshore boats. If I'm looking at it right the entire course is in the river?? Like from the TPS (or does it even make it to the base??) to the bridge?? Suck to run one of them aground at speed.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
WOW, that's a SMAAAALL course for offshore boats. If I'm looking at it right the entire course is in the river?? Like from the TPS (or does it even make it to the base??) to the bridge?? Suck to run one of them aground at speed.

Doesn't look like it even makes it to the bridge, should be interesting.

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
Home of the National Championship Race for the 2010 OPA Offshore Racing Series, presented by GEICO, sponsored by Bayside Chevrolet.

It's official, the Jersey Boyz are back, but this time the OPA National Championship Race will be determined in the waters off Solomons Island. GEICO has teamed with Bayside Chevrolet, the Chesapeake Bay Power Boat Association and our sponsors to secure a knock-down, drag-out race course in front of the main sea wall on Solomons Island. Spectators and fans will find plenty of parking and up-close viewing of some of the worlds fastest boats on the water today, racing for the Championship, including the World Famous Miss GEICO.

We've planned a weekend of activities for everyone, so bring the whole family for the weekend!!

On Saturday, spectators and fans will be able to tour the Race Village/Pits area where they can see the boats up close, meet the race teams, buy souvenirs and T's, grab a bite to eat and much more. On Saturday evening, all of the race boats and teams will be lined up down by "The Boardwalk” for a Key West style street party. Also on Saturday, for you boaters, the Chesapeake Bay will be holding it's Offshore Heroes Poker Run.

On Sunday, Race Day, grab a spot at the sea wall and watch the boats fly by at unbelievable speeds. Bring your camera, you're not going to believe your eyes!!

For more information go CBPBA Offshore Racing Event

Thats great I haven't been to a boat race since Swans in Piney Point in the
80's. I have to bring my 28' Baja boat and watch.:yahoo:

SOGP

The course is four miles over all and should be a great area for these boats to race. We had to stay a certain distance away from the base per the Coast Guard and PAX. Next year we may make the course longer out into the bay but it takes a lot to do that in the first year. This is a Coast Guard permitted event and with PAX there it took a lot of work.

Doesn't look like it even makes it to the bridge, should be interesting.

Turns 1 and 2 are about five hundred feet from the bridge.

Thats great I haven't been to a boat race since Swans in Piney Point in the
80's. I have to bring my 28' Baja boat and watch.:yahoo:

We would love to have you come out for the event. Also there is a great Poker Run that weekend so come and enjoy. I remember those races and I believe those were little boats. Our boats are from 26 to 50 feet in length.

I lived in Calvert for 12 years and never heard of this, is this a first or did I just miss something?

The last race in Solomons was in 1990 so while not being a first it has been a while. Where do you live on the Gulf? We will be in Orange Beach two weeks after this event.

frequentflier

happy to be living
The course is four miles over all and should be a great area for these boats to race. We had to stay a certain distance away from the base per the Coast Guard and PAX. Next year we may make the course longer out into the bay but it takes a lot to do that in the first year. This is a Coast Guard permitted event and with PAX there it took a lot of work.

Turns 1 and 2 are about five hundred feet from the bridge.

We would love to have you come out for the event. Also there is a great Poker Run that weekend so come and enjoy. I remember those races and I believe those were little boats. Our boats are from 26 to 50 feet in length.

The last race in Solomons was in 1990 so while not being a first it has been a while. Where do you live on the Gulf? We will be in Orange Beach two weeks after this event.

As a member of the Solomons Business Association, I was impressed by your presentation last month. There is a lot more to putting this all together than I could have ever imagined. Hope it is a great day for all!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The last race in Solomons was in 1990 so while not being a first it has been a while. .

Wow..it's been a lot longer than I thought. Someone asked me about your upcoming event and whether it was a first and I said "heck no...used to be a regular event and we would take the Donzis down the day before to get good spots". Ugh...time sure does fly...

The last 'small boat' races were the bathtub series and the last of those was held in the mid-late 80s, best I recall. The 'real' boat racing like was held at Swann's has been gone from here even longer than that.

A good while ago ('95?) I was working on reviving the racing at Swann's (I had the misfortune to own the place at the time..LOL). I learned first hand how many obstacles are in the way of organizing and hosting a boat race...its a daunting array of challenges indeed. After an inordinate amount of time and effort (it seemed to me) were close to finalizing the details and dates for a jet ski series when Hurrican Fran paid us a visit and wrecked my waterfront facilities. Sooo...that this event is now in palce off Solomons?..good on ya!! Not a trivial feat and we'll be there. Heck..might even bring the Donzis (still have both)..although I'm now of the age where the big cruiser and its central AC is preferrable. :whistle:

SOGP

Wow..it's been a lot longer than I thought. Someone asked me about your upcoming event and whether it was a first and I said "heck no...used to be a regular event and we would take the Donzis down the day before to get good spots". Ugh...time sure does fly...

The last 'small boat' races were the bathtub series and the last of those was held in the mid-late 80s, best I recall. The 'real' boat racing like was held at Swann's has been gone from here even longer than that.

A good while ago ('95?) I was working on reviving the racing at Swann's (I had the misfortune to own the place at the time..LOL). I learned first hand how many obstacles are in the way of organizing and hosting a boat race...its a daunting array of challenges indeed. After an inordinate amount of time and effort (it seemed to me) were close to finalizing the details and dates for a jet ski series when Hurrican Fran paid us a visit and wrecked my waterfront facilities. Sooo...that this event is now in palce off Solomons?..good on ya!! Not a trivial feat and we'll be there. Heck..might even bring the Donzis (still have both)..although I'm now of the age where the big cruiser and its central AC is preferrable. :whistle:

Look forward to seeing everyone out there and I agree with the AC on the boat!

SOGP

This is shaping up to be a great event. Hope to get to see everyone out there enjoying a great day of racing. I have attached so pics of Miss Geico Racing a team that is really looking forward to racing in Solomons. We will be updating the website in the next few days with more information about the event. Again look forward to seeing everyone!!!!

Attachments

• 7434_300215430025_638345025_9106761_7149080_n.jpg
    7434_300215430025_638345025_9106761_7149080_n.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 40471_281160329985_502854985_895805_13820_n.jpg
    40471_281160329985_502854985_895805_13820_n.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 65
  • n1482534148_30131694_5927.jpg
    n1482534148_30131694_5927.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 61
C

CalvertNewbie

This is shaping up to be a great event. Hope to get to see everyone out there enjoying a great day of racing. I have attached so pics of Miss Geico Racing a team that is really looking forward to racing in Solomons. We will be updating the website in the next few days with more information about the event. Again look forward to seeing everyone!!!!

Wow, sounds like something worth checking out. I worked for GEICO for 9 years. I'll be sure to come out and show my support!

SOGP

The race is getting better and better everyday!

By the end of this week there will be a flyer out for the Golf tournament taking place on Friday before the event. Hope to see everyone there!