Bridgeport couple sued for race bias.....

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
Bridgeport couple sued for race bias in not selling home

"Federal officials today charged a Bridgeport couple and their real estate agent with housing discrimination, alleging that they refused to sell a home to black buyers.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development filed the complaint on behalf of prospective buyers George and Peytyn Willborn. George Willborn is a comedian and radio personality who worked for 10 years at WVAZ-FM (102.7).

The HUD complaint said the Willborns wanted to buy a five-bedroom home at 3300 S. Normal from Daniel and Adrienne Sabbia. It said that in January the Willborns accepted the Sabbias’ price of $1.7 million and prepared a final sales contract.

But the Sabbias declined to sign. HUD said that in an interview with an investigator, the real estate agent for the property, Jeffrey Lowe of Lowe Group Chicago Inc., said Daniel Sabbia told him he would rather not sell to an African-American."

More at: Bridgeport couple sued for race bias in not selling home :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime

E

EmptyTimCup

so the Gobberment Mandates who you can sell you private property to ...

I guess they din't want a Moolie in the neighborhood :whistle:

This_person

"Federal officials today charged a Bridgeport couple and their real estate agent with housing discrimination, alleging that they refused to sell a home to black buyers.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development filed the complaint on behalf of prospective buyers George and Peytyn Willborn. George Willborn is a comedian and radio personality who worked for 10 years at WVAZ-FM (102.7).

The HUD complaint said the Willborns wanted to buy a five-bedroom home at 3300 S. Normal from Daniel and Adrienne Sabbia. It said that in January the Willborns accepted the Sabbias’ price of $1.7 million and prepared a final sales contract.

But the Sabbias declined to sign. HUD said that in an interview with an investigator, the real estate agent for the property, Jeffrey Lowe of Lowe Group Chicago Inc., said Daniel Sabbia told him he would rather not sell to an African-American."

More at: Bridgeport couple sued for race bias in not selling home :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime
Why would there be a law mandating that a citizen cannot choose to whom they sell their home - regardless of reason?

PsyOps

Pixelated
so the Gobberment Mandates who you can sell you private property to ...

I guess they din't want a Moolie in the neighborhood :whistle:

If this story is true, please don't tell me you're okay with this kind of discrimination? If it had been the other way around would you have posted the same thing?

I had to look up Moolie: Italian slang for a black person. Short for "moulinyan," Italian dialect for "eggplant."

We will never move on. :mad:

This_person

If this story is true, please don't tell me you're okay with this kind of discrimination? If it had been the other way around would you have posted the same thing?

I had to look up Moolie: Italian slang for a black person. Short for "moulinyan," Italian dialect for "eggplant."

Psy, I'll tell you I'd be for it. I'm white, and I don't feel that gets me a single right to force someone to sell me anything, even if I'm willing to pay their price.

The rights we have include being able to choose whether we buy or sell things. Discrimination, in the form of legality, should only be controlled by what government says and does - treats all people equally. Ignorance, racism, all forms of immoral actions and thoughts, should be completely allowed by one citizen to another, provided there is no actual harm done one to the other. NOT selling someone something is not harming someone else - they didn't have it in the first place, so how can it harm them to continue to not have it?

PsyOps

Pixelated
Psy, I'll tell you I'd be for it. I'm white, and I don't feel that gets me a single right to force someone to sell me anything, even if I'm willing to pay their price.

The rights we have include being able to choose whether we buy or sell things. Discrimination, in the form of legality, should only be controlled by what government says and does - treats all people equally. Ignorance, racism, all forms of immoral actions and thoughts, should be completely allowed by one citizen to another, provided there is no actual harm done one to the other. NOT selling someone something is not harming someone else - they didn't have it in the first place, so how can it harm them to continue to not have it?

I'm talking about basic simple decency. Although there was no reason given why they wouldn’t sell the house, except that the buyer was black. But I can’t think of a good reason that accompanies being black to practice such discrimination.

Perhaps you can give me a good reason not to sell to a black person?

When white people are fighting the daily battle to shed that age-old plight of racism, this sort of thing only takes us back 1000 steps.

This_person

I'm talking about basic simple decency. Although there was no reason given why they wouldn’t sell the house, except that the buyer was black. But I can’t think of a good reason that accompanies being black to practice such discrimination.

Perhaps you can give me a good reason not to sell to a black person?

When white people are fighting the daily battle to shed that age-old plight of racism, this sort of thing only takes us back 1000 steps.

Outside of ignorance, racism, and just plain stupidity I can't think of any reason not to sell to black people. I'm certainly not suggesting that it is a good, right, or moral thing to do. I'd never limit who I chose to sell something to in such a bigotted and racist fashion.

However, people have the right to be racist, stupid, etc., etc. That's my only point. That includes the right to be racist and stupid against white people. Unless someone is somehow limiting government intervention based on one or another form of bigotry, or actually harming someone else, there should be no LEGAL foul. That foul should come in the form of public sentiment. If I knew someone would not sell a home to someone because of their race, I would out them every chance I got and limit whatever I could limit to them personally. But, the law shouldn't stop them from being stupid - that's their right.

Vince

I'm sorry. I can't even read Nonothing's posts anymore. Just put him on ignore. He's too much of an idiot. :shrug:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
However, people have the right to be racist, stupid, etc., etc. That's my only point.
You two are going after two separate arguments - and you're each correct.

But hey, is this really that much of a surprise? After health care destruction passed, the question was, "If the government can force you to buy a health care plan, what can't they force you to buy?" Apparently, that logic now applies to selling private property as well. :ohwell:

Starla

If the sellers are moving, why would they care? If they were trying to keep their neighbors and friends happy, maybe they should have made up another excuse. To make the statement they did in today's world it just plain stupid. I wouldn't like it if my neighbors sold to a black family but there's probably not much I could do about it. Houses around here have depreciated a lot already anyway. What's a little more....or less?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
If the sellers are moving, why would they care? If they were trying to keep their neighbors and friends happy, maybe they should have made up another excuse. To make the statement they did in today's world it just plain stupid. I wouldn't like it if my neighbors sold to a black family but there's probably not much I could do about it. Houses around here have depreciated a lot already anyway. What's a little more....or less?
So a black couple who can afford a $1.7 million dollar home will cause the neighborhood to depreciate? Wow! I did not know that! :faint: :duh:

Starla

So a black couple who can afford a $1.7 million dollar home will cause the neighborhood to depreciate? Wow! I did not know that! :faint: :duh:

I guess that was a little unfair. I moved here from the west and I am sometimes disgusted with the way black people behave out here but I realize some are just fine. I take back my comment. Now, if you ask me about a Muslim. No way. I do NOT want them in my neighborhood. They are the scum of the earth. I have more respect for the dog #### I scrape off the bottom of my shoes that a muslim.

ImnoMensa

Geez ----Living under a rock

You really know how to win a guy over. :lmao:

What rock have you people been living under?

White people lost their right to pick who they can sell their homkes to in the late 50's ,early 60's.

You dont have a right to pick who you sell too. havent for a long time. I cannot believe anyone today didnt already know that./

This goes back to the old BLOCKBUSTING days when a realtor would put a black couple in a home in a white neighborhood to bust the block and instigate more sales as whites beat feet.

This has been settled law for 50 or more years.

Oh Geez , I said you people , I will catch hell for that .:killingme

E

EmptyTimCup

If I own something I can choose whom I sell it to.

Last edited by a moderator:

ImnoMensa

If I own something I can choose whom I sell it to.

If I do not want to sell to the Neo Nazi who comes knocking, my choice, that goes for beaners, blacks, queer black carpet munchers ..... my item my choice ....

I have 2 blacks, 1 Mexican, and another white guy besides me in my dept

... all treated fairly with courtesy and respect

.... and I work at a place that employees 1500 teens and collage aged people in summer jobs, due to the location in PG County, we have to import Asians from Thailand (this yr, last yr it was China, and the yr before Brazil) and white kids from Ukraine ..... or 99.9% of the team members would be black .... I treat everyone as an equal ....

when it comes to selling my junk MY choice to whom I sell to .....

Try walking into a Real Estate agency and telling them that you want to sell your home , but that you will not sell it to blacks.

You will get informed----real quick.

What rock have you people been living under?

This goes back to the old BLOCKBUSTING days when a realtor would put a black couple in a home in a white neighborhood to bust the block and instigate more sales as whites beat feet.

Absolutely right. Folks (notice I didn't say people :whistle:) who didn't grow up in that era have trouble understanding what it was like.

I grew up in North Carolina in the 50's-60's. A lot of white folks did their best to find 'non-discrimatory' excuses not to sell to black folks to avoid problems with the law. White flight was a real thing and selling to a black family would send home prices plummeting. In a small town the kids would still go to the same schools (I graduated high school before integration), the parents would go to the same social events, and you just didn't do that to your neighbors.

I'm conflicted on this subject. The libertarian-conservative part of me says the law has no business telling folks who they can sell property or provide service to. But I also have a early memory of a KKK sign next to the road in the next town over that said 'N-word, don't let your ass be caught on this side of the river after sundown'. Treating folks like that ain't right.