Md. Crime victim sues re denial of CCP renewal

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
On a snowy Christmas Eve a few years ago, Raymond E. Woollard was watching television with his family when he heard someone tapping at the windows of his Baltimore County farmhouse.

It was not Santa.

At the sound of breaking glass, Woollard dashed to his bedroom for a shotgun, and the holiday evening quickly became one of the most frightening nights of his life.

There was a hand-to-hand struggle for the weapon, but Woollard, with help from his adult son, eventually subdued the 6-foot-2, 155-pound intruder at gunpoint. Then they waited for more than an hour for police to find their way, on icy back roads, to the home, about 25 miles south of the Pennsylvania border.

That night made Woollard a crime victim for the first time in his life and also one of a select few Maryland residents to receive a license to carry a concealed handgun. But to Woollard's surprise, Maryland State Police denied his request last year to renew the permit, saying they thought the danger to his life had passed.

The intruder has since been released from jail and lives 3 miles away. Read more details in the original article here: washingtonpost.com

Good for him for suing!

C

CalvertNewbie

The intruder has since been released from jail and lives 3 miles away. Read more details in the original article here: washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

Good for him for suing!

That's ridiculous! And now the punk knows this victim doesn't legally have a gun and may want revenge for spending the time in jail when he got busted. Hope we don't read about another problem at this poor guy's house. The punk lives way too close for comfort.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Maryland requires that you be killed AND THEN they will issue you a CCP... :lmao:
We need to make it abundantly clear that whoever the next MD governor is, he must make MD a "shall issue: state or he doesn't get our vote! Tell him we're too close to PG County & Waldorf NOT to have one...

edinsomd

That's ridiculous! And now the punk knows this victim doesn't legally have a gun and may want revenge for spending the time in jail when he got busted. Hope we don't read about another problem at this poor guy's house. The punk lives way too close for comfort.

What makes you think he doesn't "legally own" a firearm? He was refused for a concealed carry license, not ownership. This is the case that may bring down Maryland's unconstitutional "may issue" practice.

Pushrod

Patriot
This is Alan Gura bringing this suit against the Secretary of the State Police to have the interpretation of "Good and Substantial Reason" to issue a CCW permit to include self-defence. You all should know Gura as the attorney who argued both the Heller and McDonald decisions before the Surpreme Court and won great victories for Second Amendment Rights.

If he wins this case, which with the two Supreme Court decisions now clarifying our Right to keep and bear arms, he will most likely do, Maryland will become a defacto "Shall issue State".

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
This is Alan Gura bringing this suit against the Secretary of the State Police to have the interpretation of "Good and Substantial Reason" to issue a CCW permit to include self-defence. You all should know Gura as the attorney who argued both the Heller and McDonald decisions before the Surpreme Court and won great victories for Second Amendment Rights.

If he wins this case, which with the two Supreme Court decisions now clarifying our Right to keep and bear arms, he will most likely do, Maryland will become a defacto "Shall issue State".

I'll take that bet. Washington D.C. has not, and doesn't intend to made it any easier to own a handgun in the District. And if you should be lucky enough to get a gun permit, you'll be required to keep that handgun in multiple rooms of the house and never whole out on the stoop.

Chicago, though their decision is much more recent, will not easily let any honest citizen own a firearm either.

ImnoMensa

The Constitution of the United States of America is just another piece of paper to maryland legislators.

The 2nd. Amendment is just a nuisance for them.

Certainly any citizen with a clean record should be allowed to carry a weapon in the open.

I don't go for Concealed Carry. If you carry, it should be in the open and it should be perfectly legal.

edinsomd

The Constitution of the United States of America is just another piece of paper to maryland legislators.

Certainly any citizen with a clean record should be allowed to carry a weapon in the open.

I don't go for Concealed Carry. If you carry, it should be in the open and it should be perfectly legal.

I disagree, except for the perfectly legal part. Both should be options for citizens.

Pushrod

Patriot

It should be my decision, no one elses. States have had concealed carry options for years and there has been no "blood in the streets" from CCW holders.

Vince

Figure the odds on that one. :lol: Don't get me wrong, I wish I had a CCW permit, but in this liberal azz state of Maryland? Never happen. Like the Italian guy said, "Maryland requires that you be killed AND THEN they will issue you a CCP."

Pushrod

Patriot
Figure the odds on that one. :lol: Don't get me wrong, I wish I had a CCW permit, but in this liberal azz state of Maryland? Never happen. Like the Italian guy said, "Maryland requires that you be killed AND THEN they will issue you a CCP."

You actually need to read the suit being brought against the State Police by Alan Gura. This has a very good chance of winning. Go to the MSI Maryland Shall Issuewebsites to read more.

edinsomd

It'll take time to work through the courts, just like it is in DC and Chicago, but the outcome is pretty cut and dried. POTUS found the 2nd Amendment is an individual right, and the several States cannot override it.

Pushrod

Patriot
It'll take time to work through the courts, just like it is in DC and Chicago, but the outcome is pretty cut and dried. POTUS found the 2nd Amendment is an individual right, and the several States cannot override it.

You mean SCotUS. The present POTUS would never admit to that.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Just for conversations sake, when would you carry? All the time? Just when you were going to a bad part of town? Keep one in the car?

To me, one of the great crimes of Maryland's subversion of the citizens right to keep and bear arms is that we, the people, totally lose the cumulative affect of a criminal simply not knowing who is packing whereby we ALL gain SOME security simply because SOME of us will choose to be armed at ALL times.

Inkd

I would personally carry every day in every place it was legal to carry. In Texas, the building I was worked at prohibited firearms but the security guards were armed. I asked the head of security if he would lock my handgun up in the morning when I came to work and he said no problem, if you have a valid CCW". So that is where I put it during work. At night, if I knew I was going to be out having a couple drinks, I left it at home. If I went to my regular local bar, and I didn't stop at home first, I gave it to the manager and he locked it up in the safe for me until the next day. I carried pretty much every day for the three years I was there. I hope Gura can win this case.

edinsomd

Just for conversations sake, when would you carry? All the time? Just when you were going to a bad part of town? Keep one in the car?

Working on base would make carrying to and from work problematical- military installations are one of the largest gun-free zones in the country. Otherwise, all the time.

Pushrod

Patriot
Working on base would make carrying to and from work problematical- military installations are one of the largest gun-free zones in the country. Otherwise, all the time.

That is because you don't need to protect yourself there because the government is doing it for you. You would never have mass killings, murders or robberies on a military installation.