Cocaine should be legal, says top doctor

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
The use of drugs should be decriminalised, one of Britain’s most senior doctors has said.

"Professor Sir Ian Gilmore said making drugs such as heroin and cocaine legal would “drastically” cut crime and addicts’ health problems.

State-regulated use of drugs would also save money and avert the need to try to stop drug production in countries such as Afghanistan, he said.

Sir Ian has recently stepped down as president of the Royal College of Physicians, and in a valedictory message to colleagues, he called for laws to be “reconsidered with a view to decriminalising illicit drugs use”. He said: “This could drastically reduce crime and improve health.”

Sir Ian said he agreed with the argument put forward by Nicholas Green QC, the chairman of the Bar Council of England and Wales, who said last month that it was “rational” to consider “decriminalising personal drug use”.

Sir Ian also said he was persuaded by a recent article in the British Medical Journal, which argued that the prohibition of drugs had been “counterproductive”, made many public health problems worse, and stimulated organised crime and terrorism.

Sir Ian said that banning drugs had harmed society. “There’s a lot of evidence that the total prohibition of drugs, making them totally illicit and unavailable, has not been successful at reducing not only the health burden, but also the impact on crime,” he said.

“I’m trying to take a fresh look, as many people have done. There is a strong case for a different approach.”

There should be a “regulatory framework around illicit drugs, rather than a blanket prohibition”. "

More at: Cocaine should be legal, says top doctor - Telegraph

bcp

In My Opinion
cool.

hey I know, if we make it legal to steal and murder we can cut crime even more.
with enough changes, we can become a totally crime free society.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
cool.

There ya go!..a plank, if not an entire platform, deed by gawd.

meddauna

cool.

that's not quite a fair comparison. when you steal/murder/rape/etc you're infringing on others rights, that's where the federal government should only have say. what the federal government shouldn't have say over, is what you decide to put into your body in the privacy of your own home. the only laws needed are something where you might infringe on another person. laws like DUI, public intoxication, and other laws like it. if someone wants to get coked out of their gourd that's their business.

and no, i've never done and will never do any sort of drugs, so i don't really have a pony in this race.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
if someone wants to get coked out of their gourd that's their business.

It used to be legal and quite common..and it was the very public costs and heavy overall social burden that brought on the laws criminalizing it. In simple terms..the impact of users on non-users ranged far, far from 'home'.

C

CTBburn

that's not quite a fair comparison. when you steal/murder/rape/etc you're infringing on others rights, that's where the federal government should only have say. what the federal government shouldn't have say over, is what you decide to put into your body in the privacy of your own home. the only laws needed are something where you might infringe on another person. laws like DUI, public intoxication, and other laws like it. if someone wants to get coked out of their gourd that's their business.

and no, i've never done and will never do any sort of drugs, so i don't really have a pony in this race.

Wouldn't laws like DUI and public intoxication be included in that same category as well? Under the idea that driving under the influence and being drunk in public hasn't actually infringed on another's rights until you were to DO something (like wreck your car into someone else)?

Same boat, though, I'm not into drinking and driving or anything, just wondering.

ImnoMensa

Wouldn't laws like DUI and public intoxication be included in that same category as well? Under the idea that driving under the influence and being drunk in public hasn't actually infringed on another's rights until you were to DO something (like wreck your car into someone else)?

Same boat, though, I'm not into drinking and driving or anything, just wondering.

If youre going to legalize drugs you might as well legalise them all. We could do away with the need for Doctors. We could just prescribe for ourselves. Look up your symptoms on the internet and head over to CVS.

You want anti-biotics. Help yourself. You need stitches get a needle and a snort and sew it up.

The Deputy comes home down, shoot up The Firefighter gets tired, shoot up. If it's legal for one it's legal for all. No more pissing at work for drugs, it's legal now. The paramedic can give you some and take a little for himself.

Drugs start out with a little snort and then you need more. the more you get the more you need, pretty soon the cheap drugs you got at the CVS become expensive as you need more and more to keep that high going.Pretty soon the Government taxes it, and cigarettes go up , wait , wait. Not Cigarettes , drugs. They outlawed cigarettes. Legalize drugs. Makes sense to me

Your family needs food. Screw em drug addicts only care about themselves.

I know I know only an idiot would become addicted, the others just want recreational use. Yeah, I have heard that one before.Usually from Doctors who get themselves hooked on prescription drugs.

Yeah great idea legalising drugs. The guy who thought of it needs to be hanged.

Last edited: