New MD Tags

S

shagger

What do you think of the new Maryland registration plates being issued? I don't like 'em! I don't think Maryland played such a significant role in the War of 1812 to warrant this being on our state tags. A reference to the Star Spangled Banner may have been more appropriate for the new tags, or maybe something about the ark and dove...but the war of 1812? C'mon :shrug:

Attachments

• MDTag.gif
    MDTag.gif
    33.6 KB · Views: 225
I like them.

Here's a history lesson. The Short History of Defense of Maryland During the War of 1812#

From the MVA:
Q8: Why was the War of 1812 license plate developed?

A8: The new license plate was created and designed by Maryland's War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission to commemorate the state's history and unique contributions to the defense and heritage of the nation, including the pivotal clash that ensured American victory, an iconic flag, and our national anthem, The Star-Spangled Banner.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What do you think of the new Maryland registration plates being issued? I don't like 'em! I don't think Maryland played such a significant role in the War of 1812 to warrant this being on our state tags. A reference to the Star Spangled Banner may have been more appropriate for the new tags, or maybe something about the ark and dove...but the war of 1812? C'mon :shrug:

Wha? Maryland played a very significant role in the war.

why do some of them have AA and others MD what does aa stand for?

I think it started with 1 md 1234, then 1 md 1235, etc. They have run out of the 5 digit combinations, so now they have started with 1 aa 1234, then 1 aa 1235, then they go to 1 ab 1234, etc.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican

Does that say "www.starspangledzoo.org" on the bottom?

OldHillcrestGuy

why do some of them have AA and others MD what does aa stand for?

I think they started with the letters MD and when they ran out they started with AA, Ive seen several different letter combinations. Tags aren't to easy to read for law enforcement, the first number before to letters can be difficult to read because of the background behind it, heard this from more then one officer.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I don't like the big red block at the bottom left corner. I *know* it's supposed to represent Ft McHenry, but looks nothing like it unless the vehicle is parked and you walk right up to the tag and look at it. Then it still doesn't look right.

Also everytime I have gotten behind somebody with this tag in traffic, my first thought impression is that it looks like a communist flag.

We are constantly hearing how other states are ashamed to display our flag or are willing to put restrictions on us displaying our flag and here we have Maryland proudly putting it on display... I think they are patriotic looking and I like them.

T

toppick08

We are constantly hearing how other states are ashamed to display our flag or are willing to put restrictions on us displaying our flag and here we have Maryland proudly putting it on display... I think they are patriotic looking and I like them.

Election year...:smoochy:

direxpgw

Tags

Heard from a reliable source that our king O'Malley was the pressing force behind this redesign. O'Malley is a big War of 1812 buff and wanted to leave a lasting symbol of his legacy for all Marylanders to wear as a "badge of courage" on their vehicles. Forcibly may I remind you.

The funny thing is that the state plan is for these tags to only be issued for 5 years, at which time the state will revert back to the regular black and white tags.

Amazing things our state does in times of budget woes.