Thank you Dr. Laura

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
"By no means am I a fan of Dr. Laura, (as she's known), but I'm even less of a fan of the n-word, which I find more offensive, more harmful, and more poisonous to our community than Dr. Laura will ever be. So the reason I'd like to thank her is because I'm hoping that her recent on air meltdown will finally help settle a philosophical debate over the n-word that has raged for years. On one side of the debate are those of us who believe that no one should say the n-word -- not a white racist and not a black comedian -- ever. On the other side are those who believe that if you're black, you essentially get an n-word lifetime free pass. (I don't recall ever receiving mine in the mail, but I am black so I must have one lying around somewhere.) But Dr. Laura reminds us why such logic is not just flawed, but dangerous.

For those of you who have been living under a rock or without electricity for the last few days, let me catch you up. The controversial radio host said the racial slur nearly a dozen times in the context of telling a black caller that she was being too sensitive about her white husband's friends and others using the n-word, since so many black comedians use it. As a parting shot she also told the woman that if she was so sensitive she never should have married a white guy. (So much for the myth of post-racial America.)

Now I happen to consider Dr. Laura's laughably flawed logic more offensive than her use of the n-word, but considering her doctorate is actually in physiology and not psychology like many believe, it's really not that surprising that she knows so little about people or race relations. But the fact that she felt justified saying what she did confirms a fundamental reality: Arbitrary rules about who can say the n-word and who cannot simply do not work. Dr. Laura felt justified saying what she did because a host of rappers and comedians continue to validate her perspective."

More at: Bye, Bye Dr. Laura: Why We Should Actually Thank Her for That N-Word Rant | Media and Culture | AlterNet

bcp

In My Opinion
so why is it considered ok in most circles for one black guy to call another black guy a n*****?

VoteJP

J.P. Cusick
Mr Short-Bus.

so why is it considered ok in most circles for one black guy to call another black guy a n*****?

Duh - it is because African Americans can NOT be white racist pigs.

Such a simple thing and yet it is rather peculiar that only certain white folks can not figure that out - rather conveniently naive.

So those special white-folks are following the example set by the black guys - not very likely indeed.

:shortbus:

ImnoMensa

"By no means am I a fan of Dr. Laura, (as she's known), but I'm even less of a fan of the n-word, which I find more offensive, more harmful, and more poisonous to our community than Dr. Laura will ever be. So the reason I'd like to thank her is because I'm hoping that her recent on air meltdown will finally help settle a philosophical debate over the n-word that has raged for years. On one side of the debate are those of us who believe that no one should say the n-word -- not a white racist and not a black comedian -- ever. On the other side are those who believe that if you're black, you essentially get an n-word lifetime free pass. (I don't recall ever receiving mine in the mail, but I am black so I must have one lying around somewhere.) But Dr. Laura reminds us why such logic is not just flawed, but dangerous.

For those of you who have been living under a rock or without electricity for the last few days, let me catch you up. The controversial radio host said the racial slur nearly a dozen times in the context of telling a black caller that she was being too sensitive about her white husband's friends and others using the n-word, since so many black comedians use it. As a parting shot she also told the woman that if she was so sensitive she never should have married a white guy. (So much for the myth of post-racial America.)

Now I happen to consider Dr. Laura's laughably flawed logic more offensive than her use of the n-word, but considering her doctorate is actually in physiology and not psychology like many believe, it's really not that surprising that she knows so little about people or race relations. But the fact that she felt justified saying what she did confirms a fundamental reality: Arbitrary rules about who can say the n-word and who cannot simply do not work. Dr. Laura felt justified saying what she did because a host of rappers and comedians continue to validate her perspective."

More at: Bye, Bye Dr. Laura: Why We Should Actually Thank Her for That N-Word Rant | Media and Culture | AlterNet

If this clown hates the word so badly maybe he should attack the people who use it. Mainly Number One Males.

BOP

Duh - it is because African Americans can NOT be white racist pigs.

Such a simple thing and yet it is rather peculiar that only certain white folks can not figure that out - rather conveniently naive.

So those special white-folks are following the example set by the black guys - not very likely indeed.

Oh, look what the cat drug in!

Your logic is terminally flawed. While you are correct, blacks can not be white racist pigs, they most certainly can, and are more racist pigs than the vast majority of white folks ever thought about being.

Psst...wipe the splooge off your chin. We can tell you've been over to the mob town boards again.

Last edited:

BOP

Perhaps she has other issues. But she's also associated with this.

Well, I do agree with this part:
It appears that somewhere on the road to this imaginary post-racial destination that President Obama's election was supposed to magically catapult us to, that our country has made a few weird turns along the way and instead of ending up in Post-racial Land, (which is as mythical as Dorothy's Oz) we have ended up in Obsessed-With-Racial Land.

I do resent that she tries to imply that post-racial is something the rest of us somehow made up; that it was never a "goal" per se of Obama to move us past the racial divide.

Besides, he'd have to knock off Jackson, Sharpton, and what'shisname - nation of Islam guy - before we'd have a chance at being post-racial. And that's just a start.

VoteJP

J.P. Cusick
Mr Short-Bus.

I do resent that she tries to imply that post-racial is something the rest of us somehow made up; that it was never a "goal" per se of Obama to move us past the racial divide.

It is correct that "post-racial" is totally a white-racist ideal as no one else wants such a thing.

There is no such thing as "post racial" since human beings can not eliminate our races.

The concept of "post racial" is just to shut-up the black folk and that is not the idea for a better world.

The correct ideal is peaceful racial integration that respects race and not to deny race.

SamSpade

For the same reason I can call my best friend "a$$hole" but I can't say that to someone walking down the street. For the same reason I can insult my buddy, tell him he's ugly as s**t, dumb as a post and a jackass.

It's context, not content. Intent is more important than the word itself.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I get that, but there is not a history behind your buddy or his family being called jackasses or what have you. Blacks say they have 'reclaimed' the word and turned it into something positive.

The problem I see, however, is in the black community at large, that a good portion of those people are, quite frankly, spitting on everything the post-Civil War free blacks and the Civil Rights era folks fought for. There is very little respect for the people and movements that gave blacks the opportunities they have today. Add to the mix something like calling your buddy a n###a, however loosely and however harmlessly, and I think it's stupid and shameful.

Then again, I'm just a white guy, so what do I know? :shrug:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
I get that, but there is not a history behind your buddy or his family being called jackasses or what have you. Blacks say they have 'reclaimed' the word and turned it into something positive.

The problem I see, however, is in the black community at large, that a good portion of those people are, quite frankly, spitting on everything the post-Civil War free blacks and the Civil Rights era folks fought for. There is very little respect for the people and movements that gave blacks the opportunities they have today. Add to the mix something like calling your buddy a n###a, however loosely and however harmlessly, and I think it's stupid and shameful.

Then again, I'm just a white guy, so what do I know? :shrug:

However, none of this discussion addresses that Dr Laura's contention was correct and right that night. The use of "######-######-######" in her comments the first time would have been OK. Using it subsequently was over the top.

bcp

In My Opinion
Well if its context then why is it ok the refer to it as the "N"word?
wouldnt the context of the "N"Word be the exact same as the word itself?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's disturbing, the way this non-story has grown legs and turned into some enormous racial deal. I think it's pretty much proof that there is a segment of our society who cannot let go of the race card, regardless of how silly it makes them look.

thunderclapp

JP's Favorite Heckler
It's disturbing, the way this non-story has grown legs and turned into some enormous racial deal. I think it's pretty much proof that there is a segment of our society who cannot let go of the race card, regardless of how silly it makes them look.

You really don't think it's a story? A radio personality spouting a racial epithet on the air? It might be more of a story because of who said it. A lot of people would like to force her off the air for her comments about gays. I am sure a lot of people are glad she said it. Some people, like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck can say practically anything they want and never get taken off the air or fired. It's pretty much a double standard.

You can get away with saying anything about Christians, especially Catholics, but you can't say anything about Jews or Muslims. Why was it so outrageous for Helen Thomas to say that Jews should "get the hell out of Palestine" but Larry David can urinate on a picture of Jesus on his show "Curb Your Enthusiasm". Bill Maher can spout anti-Christian remarks on the air anytime he wants. It's all political correctness BS. You should be able to voice your opinions without Political Correctness Censors shutting you down.

Some people are so sensitive that they get bent out of shape from hearing words that even sound like an epithet. For example, "Niggardly" which means miserly should never be used in public or press because it sounds like the N word. You can get fired for it

Does anyone remember the "Water Buffalo Incident

Free speech in America? Yeah, right!

hvp05

Some people are so sensitive that they get bent out of shape from hearing words that even sound like an epithet.
At this point, I thought you were about to mention the NAACP vs. Hallmark incident. That remains one of my favorite Stupidest Moments in P.C. America history! :killingme

This_person

You really don't think it's a story? A radio personality spouting a racial epithet on the air?
From what I understood, what she was saying is that it's wrong there's a double standard on who "should" be "allowed" to say the word. She was making the point it's just a word, and if it's not wrong for some to say it, it's not wrong for anyone to say it.

I agree with her, if that was what she was saying. It's either a derogatory term that should be considered wrong throughout the American society, or it's not. I believe it is, and should be a shunned word.

She made her point less than eloquently, but I believe that was her point.

The story is that there is a double standard, and her lack of understanding of the first amendment.

hvp05

The story is that there is a double standard, and her lack of understanding of the first amendment.
And that people can often not freely discuss things because they feel the need to tiptoe around certain words or issues.