The End of Operation Iraqi Freedom

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Absolutely amazing MSNBC coverage tonight. To use NASCAR terminology, FOX and CNN are five laps behind tonight.

Troops are crossing the Iraq/Kuwait border now and are coming home, FINALLY! :yahoo:

MMDad

Lem Putt
So, next month when there are still 50,000 US troops in Iraq and they're still dying, will you still be using redneck racing analogies?

Bay_Kat

Tropical
So, next month when there are still 50,000 US troops in Iraq and they're still dying, will you still be using redneck racing analogies?

My husband left on August 1st to go back, so apparently there's still work to be done.

MMDad

Lem Putt
My husband left on August 1st to go back, so apparently there's still work to be done.

Sorry to hear that. Praying for his safe return.

We can't expect Andy to look beyond the sound bites, so it's no surprise he doesn't know that the troops will still be there.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Sorry to hear that. Praying for his safe return.

We can't expect Andy to look beyond the sound bites, so it's no surprise he doesn't know that the troops will still be there.

Thanks, and you're absolutely right. Andy should stop relying on everything he reads on the internet.

foodcritic

Absolutely amazing MSNBC coverage tonight. To use NASCAR terminology, FOX and CNN are five laps behind tonight.

Troops are crossing the Iraq/Kuwait border now and are coming home, FINALLY! :yahoo:

I bet a lot of NASCAR drivers run on ..............BP oil and gas,:killingme:killingme:whistle:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Come on... I know you have something to say. You know, something like :yahoo:

Yay? Why?

50,000 US mil peeps just had their pants pulled down not to mention the state folks and contractors.

Welcome to the age of kidnapping and pseudo official extortion. The pressure to keep combat units out, now that they are gone, sets a new...

I gotta get to the office. I'll get back to you in a bit...:buddies:

goughrmak

GREAT JOB MSNBC! They were trying to get out of the country quietly so there wouldn't be any problems with the convoy. This is the problem with the media, they put things on TV WAY before they should.

Fortunately, there were helo's and F-16's watching their backs!!

There are still operations going on in the country, but official combat operations are complete. A LOT of the people left are taking care of cleaning up the bases, packing gear, and shipping things home (or to Afghanistan).

Larry Gude

Strung Out
OK,

It has been written numerous times by people who know what they are doing that withdrawal, and that is what this is, while in contact with the enemy, which is what this is, is one of the most difficult things for an army to do. Ever.

Is Iraq 'ready' for this? No more than they were a year or three or five ago. For every argument that NOW is the time because of this or that, there is a valid argument that a year or three or five ago was a better time for this or that other reason. I can gauran-damn-tee you that setting a date, as Bush did and Obama stuck to, when the enemy has not been defeated, is an awfully good thing for them to plan around.

Iraq is predominantly Shia and the minority Sunni's were dominant in the 'better' jobs and the Ba'aths were at the top of the food chain being the most practical, ie, willing to do what needed to be done to be in charge and stay there.

All the conditions, the different groups, Shia Iran, Sunni Saudi, Ba'ath Syria, the Kurds, all those conditions and built in conflicts, are still there. Add in 7 years of combat experience learning to deal with the most technologically advanced army the world has ever seen.

Does anyone think, for a moment, that this civil war is over?

Does anyone think, for a moment, that there is ANY chance of ANY US administration adding more troops BACK into Iraq?

Does anyone think that, as violence has been quelled with the successful counter insurgency campaigns, that it has been long enough for our ideas and ways of peace keeping to take hold and become versatile and flexible enough to adapt to changing conditions?

What happens to any bad neighborhood when the police crack down is stopped? When the conditions that existed before that lead to the crack down still exist, only better trained?

It is, I think, now going to become a really, really bad time to be an American in Iraq. Lest you think I am for the troops having stayed, I am ALL for getting ALL of our people out. And it should have been the 'non combats' leaving FIRST and then the combat folks coming out. That is not my idea. That is simply how it is done, hard as it is.

This is madness. And, good lord, I hope I am wrong about the next several years.

Toxick

Splat
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

All hail Barack Obama, Savior of Mankind and the wisest and most compassionate man in the history of the universe!