Skinny grande decaf latte? No, I just want a @#¡*

E

EmptyTimCup

:killingme

Skinny grande decaf latte? No, I just want a @#¡* coffee!

Are you the kind of person who feels annoyed by having to order a 'tall white Americano' when you simply want a small coffee with milk?

Then you'll be pleased to know a blow has been struck for plain English.

Lynne Rosenthal, a literature professor at New York's Mercy College, was this week thrown out of a branch of Starbucks in Manhattan after getting into an argument over the chain's 'linguistic fascism' - and is urging others to follow her rebellious lead.

Professor Rosenthal asked for a bagel, and became enraged when an employee asked whether she wanted butter or cheese with it, reasoning that if she'd wanted anything else, she would have asked for it.

'When you go to Burger King, you don't have to list the six things you don't want,' she told the New York Post. 'Linguistically, it's stupid, and I'm a stickler for correct English.'

The row escalated, with the staff member responding that she wasn't going to get anything unless she specified a choice of topping - and when Professor Rosenthal voiced her disapproval, she was asked to leave.

Three policemen were called and she was threatened with arrest.

The professor, who is in her 60s, says she has previously clashed with staff after refusing to use the absurd Starbucks lexicon of 'tall', 'grande' and 'venti', instead of small, medium or large.

She has vowed never to darken their doorstep again, and urged fellow rebels to boycott the chain.

The story has struck a chord, with no less august a publication than The Economist weighing in, and a report on The Huffington Post website attracting 2,500 comments.

Starbucks does suck in this respect ....... not to mentioned over priced :whistle:

willie

Good for Starbucks. If the whiny Professor wanted plain American she shouldn't patronize overpriced places like Starbucks.

glhs837

Power with Control
I recommend Dunkin Donuts, or the fine folks at Donut Connection, both places that get "large coffee, extra cream and sugar". Or just large coffee. Simple and good. I like that.

BOP

Good for Starbucks. If the whiny Professor wanted plain American she shouldn't patronize overpriced places like Starbucks.

Why? Because she doesn't go for the Starbucks corporate mentality that says "fork you, we don't care if you ARE the customer, you're not getting it your way. You'll do it our way, and like it, or you'll get the fork out."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Professor Rosenthal asked for a bagel, and became enraged when an employee asked whether she wanted butter or cheese with it, reasoning that if she'd wanted anything else, she would have asked for it.
Your basic poor choice of words.

This nutter needs to be locked up and the key thrown away.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I see three possibilities;

1. The good professor was having a bad day, this was a long time pet peeve and it became the straw that broke the camels back, in which case, she should be institutionalized.

2. This was some sort of planned event to gain some attention and/or make a point, in which case she should be institutionalized.

and

3. She was honestly, actually PO'd about this. In which case...

:shrug:

BOP

I see three possibilities;

1. The good professor was having a bad day, this was a long time pet peeve and it became the straw that broke the camels back, in which case, she should be institutionalized.

2. This was some sort of planned event to gain some attention and/or make a point, in which case she should be institutionalized.

and

3. She was honestly, actually PO'd about this. In which case...

:shrug:

I went to a Starcrooks in Orlando with my brother. I wanted a plain medium coffee with no nothing on it, and told them I didn't give a damn what they called it. What are they going to do, not sell to me if I don't call it by the correct nomenclature? Oh, wait....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have never had a problem getting a plain coffee at Starbucks. I don't recall that they've ever even questioned me or looked at me funny.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I went to a Starcrooks in Orlando with my brother. I wanted a plain medium coffee with no nothing on it, and told them I didn't give a damn what they called it. What are they going to do, not sell to me if I don't call it by the correct nomenclature? Oh, wait....

There is a scene in the Sopranos where two of the older thugs try to shake down the manager of the brand new to their neighborhood starbucks. They want free stuff in exchange for 'protection'.

The kid manager keeps telling them no and they get a little annoyed and allude to things that could go wrong.

The kid just shrugs and says to them that everything goes through the computer and it gets checked all the time and even if they kill him there will just be a new kid manager who still has to enter the same stuff so that everything is accounted for and that's just the way it is.

They finally accept their fate, mumble about how it is all over for the little guy and leave, giving up.

Moral of the story is how absurd it is to place all these small, local business expectations on giant corporations.

The deeper moral is idiots like this professor and all her endless demands and outrages is what has killed small business over time and made the planet safe for the leviathans in the first place.

:buddies:

The deeper moral is idiots like this professor and all her endless demands and outrages is what has killed small business over time and made the planet safe for the leviathans in the first place.

:shrug: Who said anything about her sexual preferences?

Toxick

Splat
'When you go to Burger King, you don't have to list the six things you don't want,' she told the New York Post. 'Linguistically, it's stupid, and I'm a stickler for correct English.'

What an ass.

Since she's using Burger King as "the sanity check", I wonder if she also gets pissed off when she goes to BK and she has to order a "Whopper", "Broiler" or "Stacker" rather than "a hamburger".

Moron.

You can buy coffee and/or bagels anywhere on earth from gas-stations to the finest of 5-star restaurants, but this idiot goes into Starbucks, a place reknowned for it's pretentiousness and overpriced coffee - and starts to cause trouble because they have fancy-shmancy names for their products, and act persnickety with their bagel toppings.

This has to be the ultimate douchebaggery.

I typically avoid Starbucks, because I can't see spending seven dollars for a cup of black coffee (even if it's venti) when I can buy the same thing for 2 dollars at Fastop or 7-11. But after reading this story, I'm going to go there a few times to show my support.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If the customer wasn't so damn stupid, cashiers wouldn't have to ask them so many questions regarding their order. Real life example:

When I was a teen, I worked at a burger joint called Sams - very much like a McDonald's but not a chain. Woman comes up and orders a hamburger, fries and whatever. So I pack up a hamburger, fries, and get her drink. She pays, gets her food, leaves.

A few minutes later, she comes back to beech me out because....

...yes, you guessed it, there is no cheese on her hamburger.

Well duh, stupid. If you wanted a cheeseburger, you should have ordered one.

Anyway, as a result, your FF cashier will ask you, "Did you want cheese on that? Would you like fries with your order? Small, medium or large drink? What would you like on that?" It's your own fault you need to have your order questioned and drug out of you, and you have no one to blame but yourself.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I ordered a BLT once and the girl (home from college for the summer) asked if I wanted lettuce and tomato with that. I thought the guy next to me was going to choke trying to stifle his laughter. I calmly said 'Yes, thankyou.' and left it alone.

A definite 'Here's your sign' moment.

Who know's? Maybe she was concerned that I got the sandwich I wanted. I'm too afraid for our future to think otherwise.

I think Nutty Professor was instigating the whole thing, with all the great bagel shops in NYC -why go to SB?.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I ordered a BLT once and the girl (home from college for the summer) asked if I wanted lettuce and tomato with that. I thought the guy next to me was going to choke trying to stifle his laughter. I calmly said 'Yes, thankyou.' and left it alone.

So much more fun to just laugh than to go postal, isn't it? :lol:

Rommey

If the customer wasn't so damn stupid, cashiers wouldn't have to ask them so many questions regarding their order.
...yeah, because your average fast food cashier is just so damn smart. You have a $3.54 tab and you hand them a $5 bill and 4 pennies and they look at you like you just grew another head...then give you $1 bill, 4 dimes, 1 nickel, and 1 penny...then hand you your 4 pennies back.

thurley42

HY;FR
What an ass.

Since she's using Burger King as "the sanity check", I wonder if she also gets pissed off when she goes to BK and she has to order a "Whopper", "Broiler" or "Stacker" rather than "a hamburger".

Moron.

You can buy coffee and/or bagels anywhere on earth from gas-stations to the finest of 5-star restaurants, but this idiot goes into Starbucks, a place reknowned for it's pretentiousness and overpriced coffee - and starts to cause trouble because they have fancy-shmancy names for their products, and act persnickety with their bagel toppings.

This has to be the ultimate douchebaggery.

I typically avoid Starbucks, because I can't see spending seven dollars for a cup of black coffee (even if it's venti) when I can buy the same thing for 2 dollars at Fastop or 7-11. But after reading this story, I'm going to go there a few times to show my support.

Me too! I went in PF this morning and got a coupon for a 2.00 frapp after 2 so i went back in California this evening....all because of this thread..lol

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Their Mocha Frappucino is the BOMB..

And I don't know a venti from a window.. so I order a LARGE Mocha Frappucino double espresso.. and NEVER had them tell me to use their terminology..

OH, and their English Muffin, Sausage Egg and Cheese sammiches are da bomb too!! HUGE..

I just had one today.. I should be ready to sleep sometime around 2 AM..