It's no one-room schoolhouse

Vince

California is broke and the governor was begging for federal funding back in the beginning of 2010. :confused: Where did the big bucks come from? Or is that why Calif is broke?

Pete

Repete
Money doesnt matter..it's for the cheeeeeldrin

This is the crap that is annoying about government. Half a billion friggin dollars? Give me a break. How many teachers could have kept their jobs had they not jumped the shark? Simply retarded.

Vince

This is the crap that is annoying about government. Half a billion friggin dollars? Give me a break. How many teachers could have kept their jobs had they not jumped the shark? Simply retarded.
:yeahthat: Laying teachers off, but they can build a school for 578 million.
:doh:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
This is why I absolutely REFUSE to participate in any of the school's fundraisers... The school system budget in the State of Maryland is nearly 35-37% of the total budget (I cannot remember the exact amount but remember seeing it when I was reading some budget stuff) but yet they have their hand out begging for raises, new schools and riffling the parent's pockets for school supplies. P.G. County closed several schools just 1 year ago but built the all new "Barrack Obama ES" (the 7th school named after him within the past year) and it opened today. A starting school teacher makes $5500 more per year than a starting Social Worker or Parole Officer in the State of Maryland for the same degree requirements... and teachers get more time off. Now granted, teachers deserve to have a decent salary just like anyone else with the same degree requirements, but until that happens, they really just need to stop with the whining and complaining like they did in D.C. - getting a 22% raise this school year. And just 1 year ago the D.C. gooberment issued 250 pink slips. Of course that raise comes with strings. The teachers will only get it if the students are doing well.... :confused: seems like this is going to lead to dishonesty to me... like handing out answers.

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Raise for D.C. teachers is budgetary suicide - Washington Times

When I was growing up, our books were old, in fact, we used to pick the tape and lift the paper up to see whose parent had the book before us... Now, my children haven't brought home a book that was more than 2 years old. I can remember our furniture being dented and scratched to hell growing up, because I would color in the scratches. Now, the furniture is in very nice condition and most classrooms have a flat screen television whereas my teachers would have to check out the only school television from the media center.

But like already mentioned... it is for the CHILDREN... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
Government run amuck and blasting away taxpayer money then crying when they spend themselves into a shortfall. It is disgusting. Obamalama DingDong and congress just passed a $27B bailout for states to keep teachers and firefighters from losing jobs. How can the state of California and the local elected people show their faces in public after crap like this. The three schools in LA they listed cost $1B, B as in BILLION. Gross negligence.

If you read the article they blamed the outrageous costs on several things, the most noteworthy was "union labor" to build the school.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
What's that saying - "all style, no substance"? Yes, that might fit quite well. I saw a lot about the special amenities but nothing about being well-stocked on up-to-date textbooks, computers, or other learning aids.

Joe Agron, editor-in-chief of American School & University, a school construction journal. "Districts want a showpiece for the community, a really impressive environment for learning."
I think what would be really impressive is if they could begin cranking out a majority of young adults who can spell, read, and perform routine mathematic functions at a respectable level. Guaranteed, that would blow everyone's socks off!

Some experts say it's not all flourish and that children learn better in more pleasant surroundings.
Progressive :bs: line of the day! What kind of surroundings did our Founding Fathers grow up and learn in? How about our "Greatest Generation" that made America freaking incredible during the 1940s and '50s?

I am pretty sure none of those people went to school in post-modern, individually designed, plush learning environments such as this.

Quite to the contrary, I bet it was the fact that those earlier environments were totally NOT plush and comforting that lent towards the children buckling down and getting their work done. By the time they left, they knew their stuff - and they went on to apply those lessons in regular life.

What lessons are kids supposed to get from this? Maybe that the government will always be there to provide everyone with a cushy place to hang out. Maybe that - as I said at first - style trumps substance; as long as you look cool enough you can be successful. :rolleyes:

ImnoMensa

What's that saying - "all style, no substance"? Yes, that might fit quite well. I saw a lot about the special amenities but nothing about being well-stocked on up-to-date textbooks, computers, or other learning aids.

I think what would be really impressive is if they could begin cranking out a majority of young adults who can spell, read, and perform routine mathematic functions at a respectable level. Guaranteed, that would blow everyone's socks off!

Progressive :bs: line of the day! What kind of surroundings did our Founding Fathers grow up and learn in? How about our "Greatest Generation" that made America freaking incredible during the 1940s and '50s?

I am pretty sure none of those people went to school in post-modern, individually designed, plush learning environments such as this.

Quite to the contrary, I bet it was the fact that those earlier environments were totally NOT plush and comforting that lent towards the children buckling down and getting their work done. By the time they left, they knew their stuff - and they went on to apply those lessons in regular life.

What lessons are kids supposed to get from this? Maybe that the government will always be there to provide everyone with a cushy place to hang out. Maybe that - as I said at first - style trumps substance; as long as you look cool enough you can be successful. :rolleyes:

I dont know how we got by in school without a computer in every room.

When I picked up the Enterprise and saw the new front on Leonardtowm Elementary School which cost beaucoup dollars , I wondered how the stiudents had gotten by without it all those years.I wonder how we made out at the tech center before we put on that million dollar glass front there.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

When I picked up the Enterprise and saw the new front on Leonardtowm Elementary School which cost beaucoup dollars , I wondered how the stiudents had gotten by without it all those years.I wonder how we made out at the tech center before we put on that million dollar glass front there.
We had 4 computers in our junior high school, if you can call these things computers. They had buttons that depressed about an inch and a teletype output.

Pete

Repete

I have no problem with a computer for every kid. It is technology, it is the way of the world today, it is required knowledge.

Complaining about computers in school is like complaining about going away from the hand slate and chalk.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
It is technology, it is the way of the world today, it is required knowledge.
:yeahthat: Our kids are already behind those of several other nations, no need to set them back further. Computers are great things as long as the teacher does not allow the kids to overuse them - say, using the calculator for every math problem, or googling that history answer instead of trying to remember it.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Rosetta Stone has been used to replace foreign language teachers, most recently, New Jersey. It makes you wonder what other computer programs will come out to replace teachers down the road?

ImnoMensa

I have no problem with a computer for every kid. It is technology, it is the way of the world today, it is required knowledge.

Complaining about computers in school is like complaining about going away from the hand slate and chalk.

You are right o course. It is a tool that needs to be in the schools. But do you think they need a bank of them in every room?

If the computers in schools are anything like mine at home about 5 years is the life of one. That means every 5 years we have to buy new ones? It might be cheaper to buy a student a laptop when they enter High School and let them take it with them when they leave.Set up a program where their studies are programmed in, and Stop buying books altogether.

If their purpose is to create a better learning environment - ultimately to keep the children in school and improve their education - this seems like a terribly inefficient use of resources. For 4,200 students, they could build a $100 Million facility (modest, I know, but they'd manage), and use the savings to pay every student $5,000 at the end of each year for successfully meeting certain performance measures. That would probably go further toward keeping kids in school and encouraging them to work harder. (I'm not advocating such a policy, but it would seem like a better idea than spending half a billion on a school like this.)

And then there's this:

California to Delay Payments Sooner than Expected

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, California's state controller and treasurer, decided Monday to delay $2.9 billion a month in payments to school districts and counties sooner than expected so the state can meet debt and pension obligations.

The leaders issued a joint letter notifying state lawmakers of their decision to begin withholding the payments in September instead of October.

The move reflected the limited resources the state has to work with as the impasse over California's $19 billion budget shortfallhas dragged on for nearly two months.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If their purpose is to create a better learning environment - ultimately to keep the children in school and improve their education - this seems like a terribly inefficient use of resources. For 4,200 students, they could build a $100 Million facility (modest, I know, but they'd manage), and use the savings to pay every student $5,000 at the end of each year for successfully meeting certain performance measures. That would probably go further toward keeping kids in school and encouraging them to work harder. (I'm not advocating such a policy, but it would seem like a better idea than spending half a billion on a school like this.)

Well, if the kids had advocates as politically connected as the contractors and builders, that might be what would happen.

However...that not being the case. :lol:

I advocated paying kids for performance a long time ago and was tarred and feathered. Granted, it was only a www tarring and feathering but, be that as it may, folks don't seem much interested in kids we are training to function in a supply and demand world to learn it's principles on a first hand basis before they enter into it.

:shrug: