NINE-day Chinese traffic jam

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Remember this the next time you're about to complain about base traffic... :lmao: :doh:

BEIJING (AFP) – Thousands of vehicles were bogged down Monday in a more than 100-kilometre (62-mile) traffic jam leading to Beijing that has lasted nine days and highlights China's growing road congestion woes.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Wow.

Look at the pictures! No more rickshaws and bicycles! Them mothers are car owning fools!

Just let your mind wander around about 10 years or so from now. What if the rise of their middle class, the cars, homes and home improvement, all the consuming a middle class does, what if they reach a critical point where domestic demand is able to absorb and keep busy manufacturing which then could be pulled back from supplying us as, in any nation, all things being equal, better to sell local rather than far away?

I had figured that our demand, their need to keep people working to meet it, would keep our relationship sound, us borrowing, them lending. However, what if we become a second class customer?

If they lose interest, due to domestic demand, in loaning us money then the cost of borrowing will go up to attract capital which means interest rates go up all over.

That would make our debt problems even worse.

:popcorn:

Wow.

Look at the pictures! No more rickshaws and bicycles! Them mothers are car owning fools!

Just let your mind wander around about 10 years or so from now. What if the rise of their middle class, the cars, homes and home improvement, all the consuming a middle class does, what if they reach a critical point where domestic demand is able to absorb and keep busy manufacturing which then could be pulled back from supplying us as, in any nation, all things being equal, better to sell local rather than far away?

I had figured that our demand, their need to keep people working to meet it, would keep our relationship sound, us borrowing, them lending. However, what if we become a second class customer?

If they lose interest, due to domestic demand, in loaning us money then the cost of borrowing will go up to attract capital which means interest rates go up all over.

:lmao: Only you, Larry, can take a traffic jam in another country and turn it into a domestic socio-political nightmare......

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I lose it after 9 minutes. That's crazy!
You can always hop on a boat and paddle/sail/motor yourself around the traffic. Unless, there's water traffic, then I guess you're screwed. :lol:

I keep thinking of the opening scene from "Office Space" from hell. Sitting in one lane, the next lane starts to move so you get over, then your original lane moves so you get back... for hours.

Business moves like a river - path of least resistance, yadda yadda. If something like that happened, we might have to actually deal with our problems instead of offloading them overseas. Similar to your railing against TARP: take the major hit up front and let the system correct itself. Could be simple if we let it be.

TurboK9

Wow.

Or perhaps the loss of cheap Chinese goods in the world market would create new opportunities for America to export, revitilizing our industries and giving our economy a boost, thus reducing the need for foreign loans... :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Or perhaps the loss of cheap Chinese goods in the world market would create new opportunities for America to export, revitilizing our industries and giving our economy a boost, thus reducing the need for foreign loans... :shrug:

I was thinking more along the lines of opportunity for a rebirth of domestic manufacturing for domestic consumption. However, I like the way you think.

:buddies: