Floppy Died

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Okay so call me crazy but I am sitting here in tears because Floppy died. Who is floppy you say? She was one of my favorite chickens. I mentioned her before - she had a floppy comb so the family who had her before me named her Floppy. Floppy was only about 4 years old? So it wasn't her time to go yet.

So that's 3 chickens in the past 2 months that have dropped. The last 2 were hens that appeared healthy. I have no idea what's going on and some say it may be the heat we've had? :bawl:

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
Okay so call me crazy but I am sitting here in tears because Floppy died. Who is floppy you say? She was one of my favorite chickens. I mentioned her before - she had a floppy comb so the family who had her before me named her Floppy. Floppy was only about 4 years old? So it wasn't her time to go yet.

So that's 3 chickens in the past 2 months that have dropped. The last 2 were hens that appeared healthy. I have no idea what's going on and some say it may be the heat we've had? :bawl:

Are you registered? You should report the unexplained deaths so that they can test her to see if she has anything bad. If you need the number, let me know.

bcp

In My Opinion
Chickens are prone to heart attacks when they are extremely upset.
you mentioned snakes in the coup not too long ago.

Is it possible that the chickens are being terrorized by some outside force like a snake or something?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Yes I killed 1 snake, but I know there are others. We saw one last week. My suspicions range from the snake(s), heat, and also wonder if they are catching and eating mice that have eaten poisoned bait? Those are the possibilities I have been able to think of so far.

Chickens are prone to heart attacks when they are extremely upset.
you mentioned snakes in the coup not too long ago.

Is it possible that the chickens are being terrorized by some outside force like a snake or something?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I took her in the house to cool down yesterday evening just in case that was the issue, not long after that she appeared to convulse a few times and died in my arms.

It's probably the heat. I lost a year old layer to it earlier this summer.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

Feed Floppy to the bull shark.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I spoke to the animal health guy and I decided to not take Floppy to Salisbury for a necropsy as it sounds like she and the other hen died of a heat-related stress condition that may have been complicated by encounters with the snakes. Chickens get stressed easily and are known to die of stress induced heart failure.

Floppy was one-of-a-kind! I'm going to really miss her.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I spoke to the animal health guy and I decided to not take Floppy to Salisbury for a necropsy as it sounds like she and the other hen died of a heat-related stress condition that may have been complicated by encounters with the snakes. Chickens get stressed easily and are known to die of stress induced heart failure.

jedi2814

4 yrs. is a long time for a present day hen. I don't know what she was, but the hybridized breeds these days are not bred for long life; they are bred for production. After 3 yrs. of production I am not surprised to begin seeing hens drop, usually from what appears to be heart failure. Add to that the heat this summer and you have recipe for claiming older hens. We only lost 2 of our 53 this summer so we were lucky but this batch of hens is 2 yrs. old or less.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
My flock ranges in age from 1 to 4 years old (maybe a couple are 5 - maybe Floppy was 5 not 4?). I was reading online that chickens can live 7-10 years.

4 yrs. is a long time for a present day hen. I don't know what she was, but the hybridized breeds these days are not bred for long life; they are bred for production. After 3 yrs. of production I am not surprised to begin seeing hens drop, usually from what appears to be heart failure. Add to that the heat this summer and you have recipe for claiming older hens. We only lost 2 of our 53 this summer so we were lucky but this batch of hens is 2 yrs. old or less.

clockaleanie

Sorry you lost Floppy. It's always tough to lose a member of the family :huggy: