Richard Fritz: 1964 - Year of the Gang Rape

Clem_Shady

"The following is the transcript of the ABC News program 20/20 which aired on Jan. 19th, 2000 featuring the saga of State's Attorney Richard Fritz and the election day story that appeared on our front page revealing that he and 2 others pled guilty to the rape of Carla Henning Bailey in 1964 when he was 18 and she was only 15."

"CHRIS WALLACE What makes you think that a 15-year-old girl would willingly have sex with three young men one after another?"

"RICK FRITZ Happens all the time."

ABC 20

Last edited:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Generally I ignore what you put up Clem_Shady but in this case..

You are absolutely correct. Rick Fritz and his friends raped Carla Bailey. Most true countians know that as a truth. My sister who knew them both well had absolutely no doubt that's what happened.

Themis

Curious?

Generally I ignore what you put up Clem_Shady but in this case..

You are absolutely correct. Rick Fritz and his friends raped Carla Bailey. Most true countians know that as a truth. My sister who knew them both well had absolutely no doubt that's what happened.

Please don't panic Eveyone here knows why I joined the forum at first, and I am not going to start another "rant".
I'm just trying to find out what other people think of the man.
Do people think that he made a mistake as a young man, and then went on to be an honest, fair and dedicated pubic servant?
Or did the the crime he committed at 18, and got off virtually "scot-free" with, only embolden him to arrogantly continue into adulthood, and become a man with the belief that he could use his elected position as a means to follow his own unlawful,unethical, and immoral, personal agenda without any fear of consequence, as I believe him to to be?

I would honestly like to here othe peoples thoughts about this man.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"CHRIS WALLACE What makes you think that a 15-year-old girl would willingly have sex with three young men one after another?"

"RICK FRITZ Happens all the time."

Well, it DOES happen all the time. Even back in the day.

I must say, however, that if a 45 year old "crime" (and I put that in quotes because of the nature and speculation) is the best dirt they can dig up on Fritz, well....

Seriously, some of you talk about it like it happened just yesterday. If he were truly a nefarious rapist bad guy, there'd be something more recent for us to point to.

Or did the the crime he committed at 18, and got off virtually "scot-free" with, only embolden him to arrogantly continue into adulthood, and become a man with the belief that he could use his elected position as a means to follow his own unlawful,unethical, and immoral, personal agenda without any fear of consequence, as I believe him to to be?
We're talking about a St. Mary's County States Attorney here, not the POTUS. He is somewhat powerful in his little tiny pond, but a nobody in the grand scheme of things. His 45 year old crime is well-known in this county, but the voters keep sending him back. I think that pretty much answers your very loaded question.

Last edited:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Please don't panic Eveyone here knows why I joined the forum at first, and I am not going to start another "rant".
Do people think that he made a mistake as a young man, and then went on to be an honest, fair and dedicated pubic servant?

Honestly many feel his latter actions in office rather redeemed him.

Also, unfortunately, this was not the only case of forcible gang rape committed in this county that people weren't punished severely for. It is the only one I know of that involved Fritz. Remember back then it wasn't popular to "confront your attackers" and get a book deal like so many do today. Most lived with the shame. And because of that, it just wasn't played over and over in the press to nauseate/outrage the public. More of a shake your head and smack him in the back of his and say "don't do it again".

And this is not the only place in the world it has happened so I don't want to hear a bunch of county bashing.

Zguy28

In the several times I've served on jury duty on criminal cases in the last few years, he has seemed like he is a very cold and smug individual. Maybe that's just in the courtroom and of course I just probably don't know him. But just my observations. (I guess you kind of have to be cold when prosecuting too)

Jigglepuff

Chin Jiggla!
In the several times I've served on jury duty on criminal cases in the last few years, he has seemed like he is a very cold and smug individual. Maybe that's just in the courtroom and of course I just probably don't know him. But just my observations. (I guess you kind of have to be cold when prosecuting too)
He also strikes me as a chicken @#$# pos. Way too many plead outs with this scum bag. So the FOP endorses this guy...WHY? There stops my donation to the FOP. I like the police support in this area...but why the hell do they support this guy?

bresamil

wandering aimlessly

He is. Actually the word arrogant is frequently used.

He also strikes me as a chicken @#$# pos. Way too many plead outs with this scum bag. So the FOP endorses this guy...WHY? There stops my donation to the FOP. I like the police support in this area...but why the hell do they support this guy?

The brotherhood.

Jigglepuff

Chin Jiggla!
He is. Actually the word arrogant is frequently used.

The brotherhood

:killingme It definitely seems so.

Being a victim of a crime with this guy holding the reins is a joke. It's cake and ice cream for the offender with this jerk. :coffee: Just my opinion base on my dealings with "him".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So the FOP endorses this guy...WHY?

He's considered very pro-cop. Take that as you will, for better or worse.

It's cake and ice cream for the offender with this jerk.
Curious why you say that, because that is not my understanding. Walt Dorsey was the Stet Docket King, and Fritz is a major league hard ass compared to him.

itsrequired

As a police officer, who doesn't have any stake in the current State V. Mattingly and Brown Case, I will say this. I think Rick Fritz is a dedicated public servant. I don't like every decision he has made, however I don't know a police officer out here that likes every decision a prosecutor makes. There are a lot of variables when it comes to prosecuting a case, and there are a lot of considerations to be made. It has been my experience that when Fritz makes these decisions, he makes them with the victim in mind.

I think there was a time when Mattingly came out and attacked Fritz for tying plea agreements, (stet dockets) to donations to things like project graduation and community service. I think there are a lot of people out there who would rather make a donation than have the points on their insurance. Things like that show me he cares more about things going on in St. Mary's County than making some insurance company wealthy.

I've heard your one sided rants about Fritz. I don't by your arguments. You sound as cheap as the distorted rag that writes the one sided stories about him. You've mis-stated his offices failures, which there are few, but neglected to speak of their accomplishments which there are many.

Again, i'm a cop, but no dog in this fight. I'm not one of the people who are on Fritz' campaign, I haven't even been to one of his fundraisers yet.

I will be voting for Fritz. In my estimation, he is the only person running which will have the people of St. Mary's County in mind when he takes the oath of office. I believe that Mattingly is ONLY running and only filed because he knew he was soon to be indicted.

itsrequired

He's considered very pro-cop. Take that as you will, for better or worse.

Curious why you say that, because that is not my understanding. Walt Dorsey was the Stet Docket King, and Fritz is a major league hard ass compared to him.

The FOP unanimously endorsed him. Same reason we unanimously endorsed Cameron. They are the best person for the job!

itsrequired

:killingme It definitely seems so.

Being a victim of a crime with this guy holding the reins is a joke. It's cake and ice cream for the offender with this jerk. :coffee: Just my opinion base on my dealings with "him".

Thats not been my experience. I know there have been several people in the last few years to get life without parole sentences. One of them a simple bank robber. He gets a life without parole here in St. Mary's County.

At the same time, a career criminal bank robber/kidnapper goes to federal court and gets 19 years.

So much for Fritz being weaker. I think sir, your argument is without merit.

Clem_Shady

FOP is a joke!

The FOP unanimously endorsed him. Same reason we unanimously endorsed Cameron. They are the best person for the job!

You aren't one of the guys that helped Fritz buy up all the newspapers on the night before the election and his rape case debut, are you?

Don't worry, we'll have a video production on that soon too...

By the way, how's that "Mattingly Prosecution thing" going?

Candidate is upbeat after jury's acquittal

:killingme

Clem_Shady

Thats not been my experience. I know there have been several people in the last few years to get life without parole sentences. One of them a simple bank robber. He gets a life without parole here in St. Mary's County.

At the same time, a career criminal bank robber/kidnapper goes to federal court and gets 19 years.

So much for Fritz being weaker. I think sir, your argument is without merit.

Go ahead and explain this one for us...

http://forums.somd.com/elections/213150-fritz-tough-guy-drugs.html#post4372887

Jigglepuff

Chin Jiggla!

Cameron is the best man for the job for his position. I think he is the best we have had so far. I will agree with you there...based on personal experience.

I disagree with most people in the court system including Fritz. It's MY opinion. I'm not going to site the robbery cases I have been involved with (as a victim)...agree to disagree? (probably not) I don't like how he does things.

I think an SA should be even harder on the perps than FRITZ WAY harder. You are siting a few examples out of many that got a slap on the wrist.

itsrequired

Cameron is the best man for the job for his position. I think he is the best we have had so far. I will agree with you there...based on personal experience.

I disagree with most people in the court system including Fritz. It's MY opinion. I'm not going to site the robbery cases I have been involved with (as a victim)...agree to disagree? (probably not) I don't like how he does things.

I think an SA should be even harder on the perps than FRITZ WAY harder. You are siting a few examples out of many that got a slap on the wrist.

I don't know of your particular case. I do know this, when a case is viable, it gets the best thing it can. Sometimes, you have twelve people who don't see things with common sense. Sorry you had a bad experience. That is likely why you are jaded. I wonder what problems there were with the case to begin with.

Jigglepuff

Chin Jiggla!
I don't know of your particular case. I do know this, when a case is viable, it gets the best thing it can. Sometimes, you have twelve people who don't see things with common sense. Sorry you had a bad experience. That is likely why you are jaded. I wonder what problems there were with the case to begin with.

Don't be surprised if more people "chime in" with stories.

You seem like a nice person...thank you for your kind words. :buddies:

itsrequired

Don't be surprised if more people "chime in" with stories.

You seem like a nice person...thank you for your kind words. :buddies:

I'm sure there will be. The guy was a prosecutor when I became a police officer, and then was a States Attorney for 12 years after a respite in private practice.

I am sure, while I consider myself a dedicated, ethical, respectful police officer, there would be people who have caught me at a bad time as well. I'm sorry that you were robbed to begin with, and that the system didn't get you what you deserved in the end.