Johnny Got His Pills (and So Do We)

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
"After U.S. Army Sgt. Douglas Hale, Jr. finished fifteen months in Iraq for his second combat tour, it was obvious that things in his life were awry. In 2007, he was diagnosed with severe depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. He began drinking heavily and his marriage fell apart. In early 2009, Hale abandoned his post at Fort Hood. This past May, he was arrested for being absent without leave and returned to Fort Hood. Before the month was out, he tried to kill himself."

"I read an AP piece in the newspaper the other day that suggested that one of Big Phama’s wonder drugs was killing American GIs. It said that many of the soldiers serving in and returning home from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were taking a drug called Seroquel to help them deal with chronic restlessness, severe insomnia and constant nightmares. If I was a soldier it might have made me laugh.

Seroquel is a “potent antipsychotic.” Instead of reducing combat tours to reasonable time frames, limiting the number of tours a soldier should have to endure or simply removing unstable soldiers from the psychotic environment of these ill-conceived wars indefinitely, the U.S. Military is apparently using our men and women in uniform as guinea pigs for a soldier’s-little-helper pill that will supposedly desensitize them to the insanity around them."

Full article here.