F.y.i.

frequentflier

happy to be living
From the Tri-County Animal Shelter (aka TCAS)
Total number of animals brought in to the shelter between 1/1/10-7/31/10 is 6,358

Of the total 2,918 were cats.
190 cats adopted
682 cats rescued
64 cats reclaimed by their owners
872 cats euthanized for treatable illnesses
891 feral cats euthanized
43 healthy cats euthanized for no space
176 unhealthy cats euthanized.

Of the total 2,217 were dogs.
308 dogs adopted
681 dogs rescued
624 dogs reclaimed by their owners
179 dogs euthanized for treatable illnesses
259 bully breeds euthanized
39 healthy dogs euthanized for no space
127 unhealthy dogs euthanized

The remaining number of animals are wildlife, owners that are requesting that we euthanize, pocket pets such as hamsters, rabbits, gerbils, ferrets, guinea pigs and rats.

RPMDAD

You are ripping my heart out kid. This really breaks my heart. With 6 right now i just can't jump in and help. i wish i could. out of our 6 2 were strays or abandoned. I can't even go to a shelter to look, i would want to take them all. I do try to donate to the local shelters with supplies, food and money when i can. This is very sad.

frequentflier

happy to be living
It is reality...maybe it will help some people understand the importance of spaying and neutering and responsible pet ownership.

onelove6366

This number speaks VOLUMES for the OBVIOUS need for managed TNR programs.

I am running a self funded colony and have only received financial assistance with the spay/neutar cost. Believe me, it is an expense I question often but never cut.

IF CCHS has REAL programs to aid in this effort that so many are willing to give their time and money to - perhaps the numbers overall would be reduced. Look to the District people!

Spay & Neutar as many animals as possible!

It is reality...maybe it will help some people understand the importance of spaying and neutering and responsible pet ownership.

Yes it is... and until that happens we need to recognize the sad but necessary service our animal shelter provides. I am thankful for those willing to take on that job.

yknotpoms

SOMD POM MOM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I thought our local problem was worse. However we have a lot that still needs to be done. Do we have other local data available? I also have to say THANKS to all of the people that help; even the smallest way is great. If everyone did something small the problem could be greatly improved. I still think education is a great place to start.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Don't take this the wrong way, but I thought our local problem was worse. However we have a lot that still needs to be done. Do we have other local data available? I also have to say THANKS to all of the people that help; even the smallest way is great. If everyone did something small the problem could be greatly improved. I still think education is a great place to start.

Not sure what other local data you want. This report was the result of an inquiry to TCAS by a rescue.

yknotpoms

SOMD POM MOM
Was wondering about Charles, St Mary's and Calvert. I think at least one is no kill, but I can't keep them straight in my head.

annemayer

From the Tri-County Animal Shelter (aka TCAS)
Total number of animals brought in to the shelter between 1/1/10-7/31/10 is 6,358

Of the total 2,918 were cats.
190 cats adopted
682 cats rescued
64 cats reclaimed by their owners
872 cats euthanized for treatable illnesses
43 healthy cats euthanized for no space
176 unhealthy cats euthanized.

Of the total 2,217 were dogs.
308 dogs adopted
681 dogs rescued
624 dogs reclaimed by their owners
179 dogs euthanized for treatable illnesses
259 bully breeds euthanized
39 healthy dogs euthanized for no space
127 unhealthy dogs euthanized

The remaining number of animals are wildlife, owners that are requesting that we euthanize, pocket pets such as hamsters, rabbits, gerbils, ferrets, guinea pigs and rats.

I've adopted a total of 20 - 17 dogs,3 cats - from there over the past 15 years. Found them all great homes,kept two for myself,1 the kids love,1 mentally retarded and can't be trusted. Can somebody tell me how to post a picture,I'd love to put a pic of my pekeingnese on here - he's so cute!

bulldoglover301

there are shelters in the other counties.
theres charles county humane society
and calvert county humane society
and some groups in st marys.
i dont know how calvert is run, ive never been there.
but charles county does not euthanize, but does have to transfer to tri county a few times a week, due to space issues most of the time, where the animal can be adopted, rescued, or euthanized.
unfortunately there are too many animals losing homes, as well, but not enough space for them to be cared for.

frequentflier

happy to be living
there are shelters in the other counties.
theres charles county humane society
and calvert county humane society
and some groups in st marys.
i dont know how calvert is run, ive never been there.
but charles county does not euthanize, but does have to transfer to tri county a few times a week, due to space issues most of the time, where the animal can be adopted, rescued, or euthanized.
unfortunately there are too many animals losing homes, as well, but not enough space for them to be cared for.

The Calvert County Humane Society is not a "shelter" where you can drop off unwanted animals. It is a rescue group that pulls dogs and cats from kill facilities as well as taking in animals that people give up. They do have kennels and many foster homes for the animals.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
oh god... dont even get me started on this....
we have a vet that went off when a few of us made a comment about a puppy that needed to be neutered.... she said.. no he didnt... :confused:

he is not a show dog, will never be one, has nothing to give back to the "breed" to make it better and improve the breeds standards... YEP.. SHOULD BE NEUTERED...

she flipped out and said that it didnt cut down on dogs going a stray to find a female in heat... it didnt change the behavior at all...... :bs: It makes a world of difference!!! I have no clue where she came from... but just because she didnt neuter her dog and wants to bring in more pups in this world... she can be the irresponsible one :shrug: (and her dog has issues and she still wants to breed him) :cds: