When will my male dog lift his leg to pee?

Abc123

Okay everyone...I consider myself very knowledgeable about animals, their traits, habits, learning, yada, yada, yada. People come to me ALL THE TIME with their animal questions, "What do I do when this happens" should I get a male or a female dog, and why, which breed is best with kids, how do I get rid of this particular trait", etc.
Here's one that SO will not let go of. I know that lifting the leg to pee depends on the dog, some never do. Majority begin about 4 months from what I've seen.
I have a 7 month old male German Shepherd that I got for SO....we also have a female dog, who of course, squats to pee. German Shepherd hasn't even tried to lift his leg. Squats right along with the girl. SO is very worried about this.
Does anyone know if GS dogs lift their legs later than other breeds? I can't find anything about it. And no, he is not neutered yet.
TIA!!!!!!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Okay everyone...I consider myself very knowledgeable about animals, their traits, habits, learning, yada, yada, yada. People come to me ALL THE TIME with their animal questions, "What do I do when this happens" should I get a male or a female dog, and why, which breed is best with kids, how do I get rid of this particular trait", etc.
Here's one that SO will not let go of. I know that lifting the leg to pee depends on the dog, some never do. Majority begin about 4 months from what I've seen.
I have a 7 month old male German Shepherd that I got for SO....we also have a female dog, who of course, squats to pee. German Shepherd hasn't even tried to lift his leg. Squats right along with the girl. SO is very worried about this.
Does anyone know if GS dogs lift their legs later than other breeds? I can't find anything about it. And no, he is not neutered yet.
TIA!!!!!!

Then you should know that some males NEVER lift their leg and there are females that DO lift their leg. :lol:

star777

I have a GSD mix that is female and lifts her leg when she goes. She also likes to kick dirt and grass up after.

Abc123

I do know this...see my original post...I know that lifting the leg to pee depends on the dog, some never do.
This is the first GS that I've owned, and I was hoping that perhaps there would be someone on here that has experience with the breed, and could tell me if they usually "Drop" later than other breeds.

Then you should know that some males NEVER lift their leg and there are females that DO lift their leg. :lol:

TurboK9

Many male dogs never lift, particularly if they are the only male frequently in a given area (such as your yard).

A major contributor to leg lifting is the 'marking' behavior in which a male will urinate over the top of, and if possible, higher than, another male's mark. This is in part dominance behavior, it indicates the 'dominance' of the 'higher' marking male.

If your male is lower in dominance personality wise, or has never had occasion to 'out pee' :)lmao:) another male, he may very well never lift his leg. Since you have him with a female and no other males, unless he's peeing over her mark in the grass, he's just peeing!! :roflmao:

Abc123

LOL! I couldn't care less either way, but SO is concerned. He keeps trying to show him how to lift it up...it's quite funny, but I keep telling him to leave him alone, when he's ready, he will. Or maybe he won't. It doesn't help that his "sister" squats, and we have no other male dogs to teach him.

My boys never lift their legs! :yahoo: I'm glad.

Abc123

Thanks, Turbo...guess I'll have to bring him around more males to learn how to out-pee, LOL! I already have enough testosterone in my house, not sure I can handle more!!!! JK...
Thanks for your help!

Many male dogs never lift, particularly if they are the only male frequently in a given area (such as your yard).

A major contributor to leg lifting is the 'marking' behavior in which a male will urinate over the top of, and if possible, higher than, another male's mark. This is in part dominance behavior, it indicates the 'dominance' of the 'higher' marking male.

If your male is lower in dominance personality wise, or has never had occasion to 'out pee' :)lmao:) another male, he may very well never lift his leg. Since you have him with a female and no other males, unless he's peeing over her mark in the grass, he's just peeing!! :roflmao:

TurboK9

LOL! I couldn't care less either way, but SO is concerned. He keeps trying to show him how to lift it up...it's quite funny, but I keep telling him to leave him alone, when he's ready, he will. Or maybe he won't. It doesn't help that his "sister" squats, and we have no other male dogs to teach him.

Hee hee. My boy, Harley, usually squats... but every now and then I have to yell at him because occasionally he gets impatient waiting for Gazelle to pee, and tries to pee ON her (lifting his leg to do so of course).

So um yeah, you may want to be glad he squats, :roflmao:

Abc123

I could totally see that happening with mine! GS is much larger at 7 months than my "rescue mutt" (lab and something mix). She is very quiet, submissive and sweet natured, and he is all GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!!!!!! They "attack" each other in the yard, and she can still kick his azz, he's still got a lot of pup in him. But he's getting there...pretty soon she won't be able to stand her own.

Hee hee. My boy, Harley, usually squats... but every now and then I have to yell at him because occasionally he gets impatient waiting for Gazelle to pee, and tries to pee ON her (lifting his leg to do so of course).

So um yeah, you may want to be glad he squats, :roflmao:

Mdbtyhtr

I think this falls under the "Don't ask, don't tell" arena and you should just love and accept him for who he is :)

Abc123

LOL, Oh, I do! Like I said previously, I don't care if he lifts or not. Fiance is the one concerned! He wants his boy to be 'manly'! As far as I'm concerned, he can squat for the rest of his life....as long as he gets it out, I don't care if it's going sideways or down!

I think this falls under the "Don't ask, don't tell" arena and you should just love and accept him for who he is :)

somdcelt

You should see my Corgi most the time he cant get his little fat legs up high enough to squirt , but get him out on the boardwalk or doggie park and those little legs get up in the air every time , in some cases he almost looses his balance trying to hit the highest spot on the trash cans or light posts

Attachments

• Lowrider_by_TankyTank.png
    Lowrider_by_TankyTank.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 63

Abc123

LOL! Too funny!

You should see my Corgi most the time he cant get his little fat legs up high enough to squirt , but get him out on the boardwalk or doggie park and those little legs get up in the air every time , in some cases he almost looses his balance trying to hit the highest spot on the trash cans or light posts

Bay_Kat

Tropical
My boy is almost 3 and he has never lifted his leg. My neighbor has a rottie and thinks that because she has no trees that's the reason her boy won't lift his leg. She's going to get him one of those fake hydrants or something thinking this may change him.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Our female Chih mix lifts her leg and our male Cavalier mix squats....

We don't really care about it. However, we are grateful they both do this outside!!