Diversity is destroying the country.

bcp

In My Opinion
From a countywide E-Mail. (Montgomery County)
What Can You Say about Diversity in 7 Minutes? Join Montgomery County Planning Department’s Pecha Kucha Contest, Part of Free Fall Speaker Series
SILVER SPRING, MD – County planners, curious how residents and others view a changing Montgomery County, will co-host a public contest to kick off its annual speaker series on October 7. Anyone can join to present 20 images in 20 seconds as part of the Department’s 20 Images about the Future: Celebrating Diversity in MoCo Pecha Kucha contest.

Learn more and submit your presentation idea by September 27 at E-mail addy deleted The contest and subsequent presentations will be held at the Silver Spring Civic Building in downtown Silver Spring.

Demographers predict Montgomery County will soon become a majority-minority county. The changing face of the county brings a wealth of new ideas, services, products and languages. Participants in the Pecha Kucha contest, who will describe MoCo’s diversity in images and words in a timed setting, will be judged on site using instant polling.

Winners will be featured on an upcoming episode of Montgomery Plans cable show, co-produced by the Planning Department and Montgomery County Council, and on the Planning Department homepage.

Devised in 2003 by a Tokyo architectural firm as a marketing technique, Pecha Kucha nights feature dynamic presentations that highlight a topic in a rapid-fire format. Pecha Kucha night kicks off the Planning Department’s Celebrating MoCo speaker series – free, informative, monthly sessions about ways to forge great communities.

The Celebrating MoCo Speaker Series will focus on planning and how we can connect the dots between health, knowledge, culture, food, energy, ecology, economy, resources and infrastructure —the elements of sustainability.

I think that one of the things that made this country great was that the original immigrants came here with the idea of becoming American, and they all shed their own language for english, their own personal ideas to match those of the country as a whole.
The country at one time was built by people making a serious attempt at all becoming one people with one common goal.

Today it seems that in the face of being politically correct, it has become opposite, Now we look at the country as a place for people to move here with the expectation of building exactly what it is they left with no intention of trying to blend in as one people.

Should we celebrate the 15 or so different languages? I dont think so. It causes confusion and is not in the best interest of moving a country forward.

If we are to become a solid functioning country again, with a goal for the future, we have to begin ignoring the differences and start demanding that those new immigrants blend into our society, not the other way around.

Mabus

Free Rent
I grew up bilingual and learned 2 more languages in the process. The difference between all four is like the shades of the spectrum.

Russian speakers are like Chinese/Japanese. They push their children to excel and are easily adaptable to their environment. Russians will typically give a go at English until their vocabulary is thorough, and if they can't find a word they will at least make a description of it in English. Often independent and travel around alone.

French speakers will give English a few tries but prefer to speak in their native tongue (which is also mine, French/English). Typically very animated in their gestures and thoughts. Travel in small groups. Lots of French speakers here are west African and their patois can be difficult to understand if you're Quebecois. But you get your point made.

Spanish speakers will almost always refuse to speak English unless forced. Alot of them will never assimilate into American culture or accept the English language as their own. Travel in groups no less than 2 families, and most houses no less than 3. Invading America.

Mr.Steed

I think that one of the things that made this country great was that the original immigrants came here with the idea of becoming American, and they all shed their own language for english, their own personal ideas to match those of the country as a whole.
The country at one time was built by people making a serious attempt at all becoming one people with one common goal.

Today it seems that in the face of being politically correct, it has become opposite, Now we look at the country as a place for people to move here with the expectation of building exactly what it is they left with no intention of trying to blend in as one people.

Should we celebrate the 15 or so different languages? I dont think so. It causes confusion and is not in the best interest of moving a country forward.

If we are to become a solid functioning country again, with a goal for the future, we have to begin ignoring the differences and start demanding that those new immigrants blend into our society, not the other way around.

Shades of Nazi Germany! The "original" immigrants came here to escape religious persecution or came for purely financial reasons or to establish colonization for whichever sovereignty they happen to represent. Nor did they all "shed" their mother tongues to become homogenized Americans. It is the very diversity of ideas these individuals brought that made this country what it is. Little is "uniquely" American, maybe you have watched too many movies. You and your cohorts need to stop stereotyping people who may not look or sound like you. Why don't you check out all the immigrants today who have proudly been sworn in as American citizens. That's the problem with you right wingers, you live in a dream world that does not exist anymore.

n0n1m0us3

why so serious
I grew up bilingual and learned 2 more languages in the process. The difference between all four is like the shades of the spectrum.

Russian speakers are like Chinese/Japanese. They push their children to excel and are easily adaptable to their environment. Russians will typically give a go at English until their vocabulary is thorough, and if they can't find a word they will at least make a description of it in English. Often independent and travel around alone.

French speakers will give English a few tries but prefer to speak in their native tongue (which is also mine, French/English). Typically very animated in their gestures and thoughts. Travel in small groups. Lots of French speakers here are west African and their patois can be difficult to understand if you're Quebecois. But you get your point made.

Spanish speakers will almost always refuse to speak English unless forced. Alot of them will never assimilate into American culture or accept the English language as their own. Travel in groups no less than 2 families, and most houses no less than 3. Invading America.

Your narrow description doesn't represent any of the spanish or french speaking people I know.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You and your cohorts need to stop stereotyping people who may not look or sound like you. Why don't you check out all the immigrants today who have proudly been sworn in as American citizens. That's the problem with you right wingers, you live in a dream world that does not exist anymore.

meh ..another idealistic individual who completely missed the fact that there is a burgeoning and now quite massive industry recently created and rapidly evolving..recent as in only the last 5 to 10 years..aptly called the "Diversity Industry'. You would be astounded and dismayed at the amount of money, prestige, attention and active duty personnel the just US Navy alone is now wasting on their 'Diversity' activites. And they are a small part of the whole. Real people are being paid real bucks these days for their new duties..duties like making sure the faces behind every Presidential photo shoot have an acceptable mix of minorities. 'Acceptable mix'..not one that remotely resembles the actual demographics of the service the One is standing in front of that particular day. And if they goofed the assingment?..its OK to photoshop the result. I have the memo saying so.

There is becoming a huge difference between what we once thought diversity was..and the diversity industry and diversity industry's goals that now exist.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Why don't you check out all the immigrants today who have proudly been sworn in as American citizens. That's the problem with you right wingers, you live in a dream world that does not exist anymore.

The ones that have been sworn in as citizens speak English and have passed tests on our history and the make up of our government.

They aren't the problem

The illegals (i.e. criminals) welcomed by our state and county governments, fed, housed, and provided educations and health care at taxpayer's expense without contributing a damn thing to our culture are the problem

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
I'm ready to explode on this issue! These liberal diseases are killing America! Today I saw Diane Sawyer interviewing "I'm a nut job" and she was wearing a headscarf (Burka)! I was soo angry! Yet when we tell their women to take their's off in America, we're intolerant!!! :cds:

n0n1m0us3

why so serious
That's because you haven't stepped out of your backyard Beaver Cleaver. :geek:

Actually you are quite wrong about that. My father is a french citizen who lived in this country for over 50 years so I know many French ex-pats in America. Your description doesn't fit them. My step-mother is Colombian, my brother in law is Guatemalan I come in regular contact with extended family. My husband is in an industry that sponsors many people from Latin America and even some Quebecois. My father and step mother both worked at the World Bank and IMF. I went to Washington International School. Not only that but I grew up in DC, lived in Adams Morgan and also lived in New Mexico. I know many native speakers of Spanish and French and as I said your simplistic narrow description doesn't fit. Perhaps it is you who needs to get out more. :smack:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

That is one of the Hallmark card fallacies some of us want to believe.

We've been diverse from day one and always have been. There were 1,000's of little town's and sections of towns all over America where native tongues were spoken for generations along with native customs and celebrations.
Germans, Italians, Poles, Jews, you name it. WWI and WWI required drafts because there was no common theme, no common purpose, especially WWI. The Irish no more wanted to help the English than the Jews did when Germany was pummeling the very anti Semite Czar.

The common bond, the glue that held us together, that brought us together was common struggle. No one was given anything. People worked for things, for a shop to call their own, to earn money for an education, better for their kids.

The problem today is we give away so much. Education. Bailouts, endless welfare, zero control over immigration thereby cheapening what it means to go to America, to earn it.

THAT is the problem, not diversity.

Nucklesack

Jesus could you be any more selective in your reasoning? You really are no different than the Liberals you claim to despise.

Did those "Original" immigrants learn the language of the people that were here, or did all learn a hodge podge (melting pot) mixture of languages? Did the "Original" immigrants blend into the society that existed? nope, the Society that existed enfolded the immigrants and included them into the Blend.

Every day that you sit on here and post your liberal hatred for everything American, you not only celebrate (many more than) 15 different languages, you also celebrate the diversity that made this country great.

While its great that the "Original" immigrants and Founding Fathers made a country great enough to survive your Liberal ideology, could you at least temper your posting so the rest of us dont have to be subject to it¿

Mr.Steed

I'm ready to explode on this issue! These liberal diseases are killing America! Today I saw Diane Sawyer interviewing "I'm a nut job" and she was wearing a headscarf (Burka)! I was soo angry! Yet when we tell their women to take their's off in America, we're intolerant!!! :cds:

This is one post I partially agree with you. Kind of interesting on your part considering that you belong to a terribly sexist religion which just can't seem to get beyond it's own patriarchy and include women as equals. I believe many women still wear some sort of arcane head covering in your own church. This issue is more of a gender issue than just a cultural/religious issue. This whole business of covering women originated from males, you are barking up the wrong tree brother. It has nothing to do with liberal vs. conservative. BYW, I applaud France outlawing body and certain head coverings. Most of the women involved would not be allowed by males to go without if a law was not in place, whether it be for security reasons or for freeing women from these appalling mandated traditions.

Without a doubt, if you look back through media sources, you will see a boat load of Republican right-wing women also covering their heads while in certain countries (you might check out any of the former Repub. first ladies, for example). In addition, I don't recall any Repubs. uttering a word about these disgusting global extremist Muslim traditions. Only now do you people speak up, not for women's rights but for security purposes. Oh yeah, just to enlighten you, a burqa is not a head covering; a burqa covers the whole body. And really, look at your statement "... their women (they are not property!)...", what about American Muslim women who sadly follow this dress code (generally not of their own choosing)?

bcp

In My Opinion
That is one of the Hallmark card fallacies some of us want to believe.

We've been diverse from day one and always have been. There were 1,000's of little town's and sections of towns all over America where native tongues were spoken for generations along with native customs and celebrations.
Germans, Italians, Poles, Jews, you name it. WWI and WWI required drafts because there was no common theme, no common purpose, especially WWI. The Irish no more wanted to help the English than the Jews did when Germany was pummeling the very anti Semite Czar.
Perhaps, I agree that they broke into their little groups at home or in their communities and spoke German, French or whatever. However, when they went to work to try and get their piece of that American dream, the spoke (broken as it may have been) english. and those that did not were doing their best to learn. for the most part. Always has been and always will be execptions. No special consideration was given their language by our government.

The common bond, the glue that held us together, that brought us together was common struggle. No one was given anything. People worked for things, for a shop to call their own, to earn money for an education, better for their kids.
I am unable to disagree with this.

The problem today is we give away so much. Education. Bailouts, endless welfare, zero control over immigration thereby cheapening what it means to go to America, to earn it.

THAT is the problem, not diversity.
To some extent I agree.
Education might be better served if it were paid individually, however an educated population is a requirement for any society to survive. It serves us all to make sure every child has the opportunity to recieve a basic education. College is a different story. (I might change my mind on that depending on grants for my daughters med school)
bailouts, welfare, have gotten out of hand. The original intent of the welfare was good, got some people through some rough times, and I have no problem helping people in that situation, but again, as all programs it has become a joke. Never was lifetime benefits proposed or intended to the best of my knowledge.

Immigration needs to be run here like it is in Canada. (I wont go into all their laws but I checked once to see how easy it would be. I didnt qualify without buying my way in)

bcp

In My Opinion
Jesus could you be any more selective in your reasoning? You really are no different than the Liberals you claim to despise.

Did those "Original" immigrants learn the language of the people that were here, or did all learn a hodge podge (melting pot) mixture of languages? Did the "Original" immigrants blend into the society that existed? nope, the Society that existed enfolded the immigrants and included them into the Blend.

Every day that you sit on here and post your liberal hatred for everything American, you not only celebrate (many more than) 15 different languages, you also celebrate the diversity that made this country great.

While its great that the "Original" immigrants and Founding Fathers made a country great enough to survive your Liberal ideology, could you at least temper your posting so the rest of us dont have to be subject to it¿
put down the lighter, step away from the crack pipe.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Education might be better served if it were paid individually, however an educated population is a requirement for any society to survive. It serves us all to make sure every child has the opportunity to recieve a basic education. College is a different story.

I should have clarified. THAT is what I meant.

When we give too much of something away, citizenship, education, homes, we lower the value of all.

bcp

In My Opinion
I should have clarified. THAT is what I meant.

When we give too much of something away, citizenship, education, homes, we lower the value of all.
I know I take better care of my toys now that I pay for them, than I did when my parents were buying them for me.
(been a couple years since they bought my toys. Trying to figure out how to restart that deal)

Toxick

Splat
This is one post I partially agree with you. Kind of interesting on your part considering that you belong to a terribly sexist religion which just can't seem to get beyond it's own patriarchy and include women as equals.

Your mastery of the backhanded compliment is pretty good. I'm especially impressed how you used your big-boy words.

Nucklesack

If you dont have the ability to understand things, what good would it do to explain them to you?

Thats cute, we see what your attempting to do. You made a post claiming the "original" immmigrants did somethign they did not do. You then attempted to use your example of the "original" immigrants about how immigrants today need to act (should know their place).

Never mind that your original assertion was wrong. No matter the foundation you built your conclusion on is starting to show its nothing more than sand.

Why bother redeeming yourself by admitting you were wrong, instead you'd rather make a spurious ad hominem claim and stick with your ignorance.