US Platoon Members Accused of Killing for Sport

n0n1m0us3

why so serious
Members of U.S. platoon in Afghanistan accused of killing civilians for sport
By Craig Whitlock
Saturday, September 18, 2010; 9:39 PM

AT JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, WASH. The U.S. soldiers hatched a plan as simple as it was savage: to randomly target and kill an Afghan civilian, and to get away with it.

For weeks, according to Army charging documents, rogue members of a platoon from the 5th Stryker Combat Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, floated the idea. Then, one day last winter, a solitary Afghan man approached them in the village of La Mohammed Kalay. The "kill team" activated the plan.

One soldier created a ruse that they were under attack, tossing a fragmentary grenade on the ground. Then others opened fire.

According to charging documents, the unprovoked, fatal attack on Jan. 15 was the start of a months-long shooting spree against Afghan civilians that resulted in some of the grisliest allegations against American soldiers since the U.S. invasion in 2001. Members of the platoon have been charged with dismembering and photographing corpses, as well as hoarding a skull and other human bones.

The subsequent investigation has raised accusations about whether the military ignored warnings that the out-of-control soldiers were committing atrocities. The father of one soldier said he repeatedly tried to alert the Army after his son told him about the first killing, only to be rebuffed.

washingtonpost.com

E

EmptyTimCup

Hmmm ...

Lets turn them loose on the rest of the country ....

"If You Kill Enough of Them, They Will Surrender", Gen Curtis LeMay

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Hmm sounds like Nam. Anyone know if soldiers are still used as guinea pigs for drug testing?

A shame their superiors didn't crack down quicker, now we've got bad soldiers tarnishing the good works of others.

ImnoMensa

Hmm sounds like Nam. Anyone know if soldiers are still used as guinea pigs for drug testing?

A shame their superiors didn't crack down quicker, now we've got bad soldiers tarnishing the good works of others.

Only if you believe this BS story from the Washington Compost. It sounds like horse crap to me.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Only if you believe this BS story from the Washington Compost. It sounds like horse crap to me.
I hope it is complete BS.

After 30 years working with military and hearing many personal accounts, I do know they have their share of idiot yahoos just like every other profession. That's why I like to wait for the rest of the story and can't just dismiss this one.

PsyOps

Pixelated
OMG... This proves our military are a bunch of wild animals. They can't be trusted to defend our country :jameo:

glhs837

Power with Control
If true, nail them to the wall. Unlike our opponents, we discipline our bad dogs. If not publicist the hell out of it

E

EmptyTimCup

Have I seen this story in other places ........ (it was on Lucianne.com last week, I donot remember where the original news article was )

but too gruesome, and too many details for the activities to go on so long ....

:evil:

E

EmptyTimCup

If true, nail them to the wall. Unlike our opponents, we discipline our bad dogs. If not publicist the hell out of it

:nono:

the other side does not have "Bad Dogs" ... what they do is SOP ....

butchering captives, killing civvies .......

glhs837

Power with Control
Do we play by the rules hoping the folks who hate us will start liking us?

:nono:

the other side does not have "Bad Dogs" ... what they do is SOP ....

butchering captives, killing civvies .......

Crash, its not a like/dislike thing. This wasn't, as far as we know, an enemy combatant, just a guy. That is murder, and that's wrong. Firefight, someone takes a stray round, it happens, tragic, but thats war. Luring in an innocent to murder, thats wrong, and should be punished, not because we want folks to like us, but because its whats right

And ETC, just because its in the bad guy SOP to be evil doesn't make it not evil, nor allow us to be evil in return.

E

EmptyTimCup

And ETC, just because its in the bad guy SOP to be evil doesn't make it not evil, nor allow us to be evil in return.

what is "EVIL" to us, what offends our sense of "Fair Play" is SOP for the other team ....

murdering captives .....

killing Village Elders that do not adhere to "True Islam"

I cannot find the thread with the link to all the Jihadest Videos of them butchering captives .... (it was posted in the last week)

glhs837

Power with Control
what is "EVIL" to us, what offends our sense of "Fair Play" is SOP for the other team ....

murdering captives .....

killing Village Elders that do not adhere to "True Islam"

I cannot find the thread with the link to all the Jihadest Videos of them butchering captives .... (it was posted in the last week)

Where are we disagreeing here? I know its the way they work, I also know its evil. My point was that we should not operate like that just because they do. Killing noncombatants for sport or ideology is evil.

Rommey

I had to go back and look who the byline of the article was. I was betting that I would see "John Kerry"...