Disturbing New Food

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I really really hope they label this food as genetically engineered - but I don't think they will, because they don't do it with our vegetables. :twitch:

------

TINKER with the genetics of salmon and maybe you create a revolutionary new food source that could help the environment and feed the hungry.

Or maybe you're creating what some say is an untested "frankenfish" that could cause unknown allergic reactions and the eventual decimation of the wild salmon population.

The US Food and Drug Administration hears both arguments this week when it begins a two-day meeting on whether to approve the marketing of the genetically engineered fish, which would be the first such animal approved for human consumption.

Read more: We can build whatever animal you want to eat, say scientists | News.com.au

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
WTH???

Ok so, just to be clear - the fish in the picture was not the genetically engineered fish, correct?

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
I really really hope they label this food as genetically engineered - but I don't think they will, because they don't do it with our vegetables. :twitch:

------

TINKER with the genetics of salmon and maybe you create a revolutionary new food source that could help the environment and feed the hungry.

Or maybe you're creating what some say is an untested "frankenfish" that could cause unknown allergic reactions and the eventual decimation of the wild salmon population.

The US Food and Drug Administration hears both arguments this week when it begins a two-day meeting on whether to approve the marketing of the genetically engineered fish, which would be the first such animal approved for human consumption.

Read more: We can build whatever animal you want to eat, say scientists | News.com.au

Should they also label your beef, flour-products, and other farm-produced foods? Compare the beef cattle you see today with those in photographs around the turn of the 20th century. Beefalo meat is leaner and cheaper to product than stockyard cattle. Wheat production is multiples of what it was following the dust bowl years. All because of selective breeding and selective pollination of crops.

Just because these salmon were produced quickly and intentionally in a laboratory doesn't make them any more dangerous than if they had cross-bred in nature.

Agree that labeling will make it more transparent. And you can bet it'll bring out the nuts when these products to commercial.

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
WTH???

Ok so, just to be clear - the fish in the picture was not the genetically engineered fish, correct?

I'm not sure because the geneticially modified fish is a Chinook Salmon, same as the pic.

From the article:
In the case of the salmon, AquaBounty has added a growth hormone from a Chinook salmon that allows the fish to produce their growth hormone all year long.

I even did a search of images of Chinook Salmon and they don't look like that.

Last edited:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
I'm not sure because the geneticially modified fish is a Chinook Salmon, same as the pic.

From the article:
In the case of the salmon, AquaBounty has added a growth hormone from a Chinook salmon that allows the fish to produce their growth hormone all year long.

Depends on the time of the breeding cycle. Male salmon get that ugly look during breeding season as they swim upstream.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Should they also label your beef, flour-products, and other farm-produced foods? Compare the beef cattle you see today with those in photographs around the turn of the 20th century. Beefalo meat is leaner and cheaper to product than stockyard cattle. Wheat production is multiples of what it was following the dust bowl years. All because of selective breeding and selective pollination of crops.

Just because these salmon were produced quickly and intentionally in a laboratory doesn't make they any more dangerous than if they had cross-bred in nature.

Agree that labeling will make it more transparent. And you can bet it'll bring out the nuts when these products to commercial.

I personally think all food should be labeled. Heck if they can count down to the calories and tell me how much vitamins and that it was processed in a plant that may have had "tree nuts", then I don't see why they can't tell me my food was genetically modified!

I'm very conscious of what I eat, and where I get my food (preferring local) and what's in it. I worry more about hormones and genetic splicing than I do about how many calories it has.

TurboK9

From the article:

During spawn, they darken in color and the upper jaw takes on the hook-shape.

That pic is a fish and game officer, not a mutant fish farmer. :yay:

Attachments

• giant%20chinook%20salmon%20battlecreek.jpg
    giant%20chinook%20salmon%20battlecreek.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 78

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Depends on the time of the breeding cycle. Male salmon get that ugly look during breeding season as they swim upstream.

They get that big and ugly naturally? Goodness, then can you imagine what monsters these modified ones would look like. :twitch: I'm so giving up Salmon. :lol:

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
Ok ok.. I forgot the males get all fugly come breeding time.

Dang Im glad men dont get all fugly during "breeding time" :lmao: The human race would have died out a long time ago.

But anyway... that is one ugly fish. I'd like to see a picture of one of the genetically engineered ones next to a natural one. I wonder if they would look different?

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

Dang Im glad men dont get all fugly during "breeding time" :lmao: The human race would have died out a long time ago.

But anyway... that is one ugly fish. I'd like to see a picture of one of the genetically engineered ones next to a natural one. I wonder if they would look different?

That's why alcohol was invented!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I worry more about hormones and genetic splicing than I do about how many calories it has.

DID YOU KNOW that just about every vegetable you eat has been genetically altered in some way? Whether through cross-pollination, or hybridization, or whatever. This creates plants that are more drought resistant, less attractive to pests, and have more nutritional value. Even the corn and tomatoes you get at the farmer's market are genetically altered in some form.

It's not that big of a deal and you've been eating them all your life without a care in the world.

They get that big and ugly naturally? Goodness, then can you imagine what monsters these modified ones would look like. I'm so giving up Salmon.

So you only want to eat cute animals? Help me here.

bcp

In My Opinion
Chitterlings
Cow brain
Cow tongue
udder
chocolate covered (add insect of choice)
coffee beans picked out of animal poo
fungus
pickled pigs feet

just to name a few.. and you find a cross bred fish disturbing?

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I'm very conscious of what I eat, and where I get my food (preferring local) and what's in it. I worry more about hormones and genetic splicing than I do about how many calories it has.
:yay:

I'm so giving up Salmon.
Always looks good coming out of the oven. :biggrin: I love salmon; probably my favorite fish. The genetic ones may take a hold in the market, but the wild ones will still be out there, and if need be, they will be protected.

Dang Im glad men dont get all fugly during "breeding time"
"Hey honey, my hunchback and big forehead have grown back... you know what time it is. :really:" :lmao:

TurboK9

Like you've never seen sex-face on a guy before. :rolleyes:

:roflmao:

TurboK9

Chitterlings
Cow brain
Cow tongue
udder
fungus
pickled pigs feet

Tripe.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
DID YOU KNOW that just about every vegetable you eat has been genetically altered in some way? Whether through cross-pollination, or hybridization, or whatever. This creates plants that are more drought resistant, less attractive to pests, and have more nutritional value. Even the corn and tomatoes you get at the farmer's market are genetically altered in some form.

It's not that big of a deal and you've been eating them all your life without a care in the world.

So you only want to eat cute animals? Help me here.

:sigh: I do know that through natural selection, even some cross pollination by man and animals, and more, that modification happens. However, when man intentionally modifies food through complicated genetic processes and growth hormones, it causes unintended consequences, even some long term consequences. This is the type of food in question, and not just by me. If you don't have a problem with it, don't worry about it. But you shouldn't lambast people who make an effort of being aware about what food they are putting into their bodies. :shrug: I don't care what you eat, I care about what I eat. Why should you care about what I eat? :shrug:

As to what I've been eating my whole life, well, I grew up on a farm and ate the animals that lived there and the veggies that grew there and the game in the area. I still do, just not to the same extent.

And my comment was kind of tongue in cheek, as I already am overly cautious about eating fish. I tend to select dye-free farm-raised fish, and if you have ever noticed, dye-free salmon is very difficult to find.
Salmon is NOT that color. :smile:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Chitterlings
Cow brain
Cow tongue
udder
fungus
pickled pigs feet

I find coffee beans picked out of animal poo disturbing and pricey. :lol: Some of the rest of it is just yucky, but I really like chittlins. I just don't want to cook them.

"Hey honey, my hunchback and big forehead have grown back... you know what time it is. :really:" :lmao:
:lmao:

Isn't tripe stomach? Or is it something else?