The Newspaper Capers: Where Are They Now?

Clem_Shady

I thought it might be enlightening to search the Internet and see what became of the public servants listed as Defendants in "The Newspaper Caper" trial that ultimately cost Saint Mary's County $435,000.00 and State's Attorney Richard Fritz $10,000.

http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/021326.P.pdf

Sheriff Richard J. Voorhar: ?

"Voorhaar has since the election, when his anointed candidate to replace him as sheriff lost the Republican primary, sold his home in St. James and moved from St. Mary’s County to West Virginia."

Court News - St. Mary's Today Online Edition

State's Attorney Richard Fritz: Still in office, same old guy.

Fritz: ‘Prosecutor took a dive' in case against Mattingly

Deputy First Class Daniel Alioto: Promoted to Captain, now serves as Commander, Vice/Narcotics Division.

St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office - Command Staff

"Capt. Alioto, called as a witness not by the State, but by Mattingly, was asked why he gathered no evidence of the alleged forgery, he stated that he didn’t need evidence."

Welcome to St. Mary's Today Online Edition!

Captain Steven Doolan: ?

In an unrelated case:

"Voorhaar had defrocked Doolan of his position as Captain and demoted him to the rank of Lieutenant which he now holds. Voorhaar also had suspended Doolan for about two months before bringing him back to work handling clerical duties."

"Doolan’s wife is a security official with Eagan McAlister and in the last campaign cycle was the election campaign treasurer for St. Mary’s State’s Attorney Richard Fritz (R.)"

Court News - St. Mary's Today Online Edition

Sergeant Lyle Long: ?

"When Deputy Lyle Long assaulted a 15-year-old boy who’s parents had requested him to give their pot-smoking kid a good talking to, knocked the boy unconscious and was later charged, he was represented by Fritz, prior to being elected States Attorney in 1998, who got him off the charges by entering Long into an anger management class."

"Long was then promoted to the rank of Lieutenant and retired from the Sheriff’s Department two years ago and has been hired by Fritz as his investigator in the States Attorneys Office, and making an appearance before the St. Mary’s Commissioners this week managed to keep his anger under control while he made a pitch for more money for the State’s Attorney to buy equipment."

Sergeant Michael Merican: Promoted to Captain, now serves as Commander, Corrections Division.

"Zylak's handpicked choice for patrol division commander, Lt. Mike Merican, who's career highlight was his visits to local parks after dark with a female subordinate in an effort to perhaps un-cover crime, was boasting at a local barber shop that the trooper's arrest would "take the heat off the Sheriff's Dept.". The State Police made a formal complaint to Sheriff Zylak about this unprofessional conduct in public."

DWI Arrest of Trooper Was A ShamWon

Deputy Steven Myers: ?

"Dep. Steven Myers, the alcohol enforcement deputy, who was actually robbed at gunpoint in Waldorf during drug buy and became the laughing stock of police throughout the region, showed up to argue for higher pay at the public hearings. He made $8,462 in overtime with total pay of $52,526."

http://www.stmarystoday.com/features/stmarys_govt.shtml

Sergeant Edward Willenborg: Promoted to Captain, Commander, Patrol Division.

"It was all a matter of attitude and a compliance at the top on the part of a succession of weak Sheriffs, Wayne Pettit, Dick Voorhaar and Dave Zylak. All three Sheriff’s bought that line of crap from their chief drug cops, most notably Lyle Long, Eddie Willenborg and Steve Doolan, and so the fat white narc cops who couldn’t make arrests of the rednecks were able to use the same dozen or so black guys in a revolving door of arrests that kept the cops fat and happy with overtime while the public was subjected to years of drug trafficking in the community."

http://forums.somd.com/elections/213794-willenborg-richard-fritz-campaign-committee.html

Deputy First Class Harold Young: Promoted to Sergeant.

Motorists Injure Two Deputies in Two Separate Accidents - Southern Maryland Headline News

Attachments

• meet.the.cops - Copy.png
    meet.the.cops - Copy.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 342

Themis

Awful quiet around here today...

:popcorn:

Just wanted to quiet things down so that others will want to engage in honest debate. Hope it doesn't go back to nasty irrelevant matters.
How do you think this Terry Clarke twist will play out?

:coffee:

Clem_Shady

Just wanted to quiet things down so that others will want to engage in honest debate. Hope it doesn't go back to nasty irrelevant matters.
How do you think this Terry Clarke twist will play out?

:coffee:

Too early to tell, but after what I just witnessed, he should have just stepped outside and said "TIC TOC!"

:killingme

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Screw-up and move-up is alive and well in Saint Mary's County.

Maybe they should call it "The Department of Corruption."

:dye:

See - you have gone about the wrong campaign then. Just electing more locals who have been part of the problem isn't going to help you. You should be trying to get fresh people who are not from the area to run and be elected - they won't just be part of the county system thats been around for decades.

Anytime I can help! :howdy:

Themis

See - you have gone about the wrong campaign then. Just electing more locals who have been part of the problem isn't going to help you. You should be trying to get fresh people who are not from the area to run and be elected - they won't just be part of the county system thats been around for decades.

Anytime I can help! :howdy:
:yay:
Thats a great thought. Why can't we elect the State Attorney General who can then appoint county prosecutors. He could give them yearly reviews, and rotate them every 4 years. Those who not perform up to par, or act inappropriately get the boot. The rest stay in the rotation for 3 cycles, retire and go into other types of state law enfordement until final retirement.
I'm sure that this is a flawed theory. and that will be pointed out by others.
But I think it would cut down on corruption, and ineffective prosecutors.:doh:

Clem_Shady

:yay:
Thats a great thought. Why can't we elect the State Attorney General who can then appoint county prosecutors. He could give them yearly reviews, and rotate them every 4 years. Those who not perform up to par, or act inappropriately get the boot. The rest stay in the rotation for 3 cycles, retire and go into other types of state law enfordement until final retirement.
I'm sure that this is a flawed theory. and that will be pointed out by others.
But I think it would cut down on corruption, and ineffective prosecutors.:doh:

:yeahthat:

FOCUSFACTS

I don't think he's going to need a job when this is over.

:popcorn:

CLEM - Quick, County Boy just posted another video and this one will even make somebody like KEN ROSIGNOL laugh his socks off....

Boy, I sure do like that County Boy.... There just something to say about those true kind hearted people with integrity,.... you know; the kind of values yourself, daniel and John Mattingly lack.......

JOKER

Great Mills Rd
[Clem_Shady said:
;4401434]:blahblah:
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Clem thats a most intelligent post Can I quote it?