Health Care betting pool

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Its almost open season for feds. Additionally, many companies hold their open season at about the same time.

So - for fun - everyone put a guess at what percent their health care cost will increase or decrease when the numbers are in at open season. Once they are in, we will compare.

Feds can put two guesses: one for the overall percent increase OPM announces every year as the annualized increase for all health care plans and one for your own plan. I don't want to get into people naming their plan unless they feel like it, but I would like to see reference to qualifiers: family, single, high deductible, premium (HIGH plans), low plans, etc... for types of plans. I expect single plans to go up less than family due to the increase to age 26 for children to be covered, for instance.

My guess:
Total FEHB: 6.5%
My High Family Plan - 8%

Remember - base this not on what you pay as a federal employee but the total cost change which shows on the OPM site where it splits the governments portion with yours. Same for those employed elsewhere - your open season material should reference how much the employer pays and you pay. If the employer chooses to cover less, your cost increases more, but it is not a true higher cost of the plan.

bcp

In My Opinion
Im expecting at least a 10% increase in my portion of the payment.
thats about what I figure it will cost when the insurance companies are no longer able to control their risk and income.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Im expecting at least a 10% increase in my portion of the payment.
thats about what I figure it will cost when the insurance companies are no longer able to control their risk and income.

You are probably closer than me. Rates for the FEHB went up last year by 8.8% in total (and inflation was negative). My theory is that it will be contained to some degree from last year even with positive inflation (currently about 1.1%). Since they (insurers and the law) are in the spotlight, I expect them to try to contain the cost to some degree. So, I expect the increase to not be as high as last years increase but I do expect to see co-pays and other offseting means to increase, such as increasing deductibles, changing service provisions, etc...

MMDad

Lem Putt
We already know that we're losing a lot of our options, and that our costs are expected to be "many times the rate of inflation."

I'm thinking at least 5%. Probably 10%, but I doubt it will be higher.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We already know that we're losing a lot of our options, and that our costs are expected to be "many times the rate of inflation."

I'm thinking at least 5%. Probably 10%, but I doubt it will be higher.

Anyone know what the averag % NSPS raise was last year? I figure double that.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Wife works HR for defense contractor and her Co estimates a 22% increase by '11; HTF is that going benefit working families? ...... I hope our new enrollment process forms comes with a tube of vasoline....

Health Costs of US Employers at 5-Year High: Study

U.S. employers can expect to pay nearly 9 percent more for health care costs for their workers in 2011, the highest level in five years, according to a forecast released Monday.

And employees will have to pay more than 12 percent more out of their pockets, according to the report from consulting group Hewitt Associates.

The Hewitt report blames higher medical claim costs, an aging population and U.S. healthcare reform.

EDIT: Link to Hewitt Associates news release

Last edited:

Vince

TriCare will increase by 50% in Jan 2011 with all copays and out of pocket expenses increasing.

Thank you Obamacare. :sarcasm:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
We have open season in June. NOT PRETTY. Costs went up about 10% PLUS the copays and deductible went through the roof. :cds:

McDonald's Says It May Drop Health Plan - WSJ.com

McDonald's Corp. has warned federal regulators that it could drop its health insurance plan for nearly 30,000 hourly restaurant workers unless regulators waive a new requirement of the U.S. health overhaul.

The move is one of the clearest indications that new rules may disrupt workers' health plans as the law ripples through the real world.

Trade groups representing restaurants and retailers say low-wage employers might halt their coverage if the government doesn't loosen a requirement for "mini-med" plans, which offer limited benefits to some 1.4 million Americans.

McDonald's May Drop Health Insurance: Report

The company called reports that it will drop health care coverage "completely false" in an email to Reuters on Wednesday evening.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Well, I am sure glad he wasn't going to raise taxes on us... :sarcasm:

Federal health reform is being blamed for up to one-quarter of the increase to employers and employees’ health insurance costs for 2011, according to a new analysis.

The effects of health reform, along with higher medical claims costs and an aging population, could mean employer health insurance cost increases for 2011 could be the highest in five years.

The average premium increase for employers is predicted to hit 8.8% next year, a significant increase from the 6.9% hike for 2010 and the 6% rise in 2009, according to Hewitt Associates, a global human resources consulting and outsourcing company.

Health reform, other forces to push employer premiums up 8.8% in 2011 | Insurance & Financial Advisor I IFAwebnews.com

ylexot

Super Genius
The amount I pay changed...0%! :eyebrow: Surprised the #$^% out of me. Of course, I have no idea if the coverage is being decreased...

ylexot

Super Genius
I just looked and my plan didn't change between 2009 and 2010 either. Did some more searching and it looks like there is a 4-year contract that includes my plan that will expire after 2011. I guess I should prepare for sticker shock next year.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Those on Aetna's Open Access for MD have the employee payment going up ~25% on the High Plan - about 10% on the basic plan. :yikes:

24% for those on Maryland CareFirst Blue Choice.

MD Coventry health care had zero to small percent change depending on family, self, high, or basic. Their High Deductible Plan had about 5% change.

Maryland Kaiser went up negligbly for their high coverage plan. For their standard plan, they went up about 10%.

Those that don't reflect much change are lower cost plans to start, so the employer pay covers more based on the averaging. While the employee amount is referenced above and showed little change, they were in the 8-10% range for total cost to government. When you show employee amount, it can be deceptive based on the way FEHB works to have an amount it covers based on an 'average' like plan and its coverage.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Health insurance premiums for federal workers will increase next year, but would have been higher if not for the government's bargaining power, the Obama administration's personnel chief said Monday.

Well - isn't that just the silver freaking lining in it all. :lol:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
OPM puts the total increase for employees at 7.2; this does not reflect the total change to the premium.

The most popular plan has a lower increase
Enrollees in the Blue Cross Blue Shield Standard Option, the most popular FEHB plan choice, will see their share of the premium increase by 6.9 percent for self-only coverage and 7.6 percent for self and family coverage.

However, look at some of the plan changes - For one, they took a big chunk of risk out at the new 35% coinsurance added to the inpatient copay already paid:
The Standard Option calendar year deductible increases from $300 to $350 for self only and from $600 to $700 for family contracts.
Standard Option benefits for facility charges related to outpatient surgery are now subject to the calendar year deductible.
Under Standard Option, the per admission copayment is increased from $200 to $250 for Preferred hospitals.
Standard Option benefits for inpatient care in a Member hospital are changed to add a 35 percent coinsurance amount in addition to the $350 per admission copayment.
Preferred brand-name drugs has increased by $5 to $70 for 2011
The Basic Option copayment for emergency room care is increasing from $75 to $125.
The Basic Option copayment for urgent care increases from $30 to $50.
The Basic Option copayment for professional charges for surgery increases from $100 to $150.
The copayment under Basic Option for covered routine dental services is increased from $20 to $25.
Under both options, adult children up to the age of 26 are now eligible family members under the FEHBP