House Falling Off Foundation in CRE

cgwife

Channel 9 News is reporting Live from CRE.....a house has been condemed and is falling of it's foundation due to a mudslide. UNREAL!

punjabigyrl

I feel sorry for the family involved. Is it true that the land in certain areas of CRE is shifting(I find it hard to believe.) So, I heard, Could this be the reason this house is crumbling? Can someone confirm this.

cgwife

I feel sorry for the family involved. Is it true that the land in certain areas of CRE is shifting(I find it hard to believe.) So, I heard, Could this be the reason this house is crumbling? Can someone confirm this.

I feel sorry for the family involved as well. I have not heard anything about the land shifting????

smilin

BOXER NATION
Depends where you live. There are different types of soil or clay throughout the area. Some areas of St.Marys have really bad problems with shifting foundations. The CRE is so large with so many builders of varying levels competence that there could be any number of reasons.
On the other hand, gravity might be the reason...if you buy a house on a crumbling cliff.

Do you have a link to the story?
:whistle:

suthrncom4t

Read the news papers. It's not "hard to believe". This has been an ongoing issue for quite some time. Do you even get the beetle remarks????

n0n1m0us3

why so serious
Does anyone know where this happened in the Ranch? I saw a news van earlier but it wasn't anywhere near the cliffs, it was at one of the roads by the four-way stop at gunsmoke and tomahawk around 4...

cgwife

Does anyone know where this happened in the Ranch? I saw a news van earlier but it wasn't anywhere near the cliffs, it was at one of the roads by the four-way stop at gunsmoke and tomahawk around 4...

That's where it was.......Pioneer Trail

Katelin

one day the dark will end
You should not build your house on shifting sands or cliffs that have been eroding for HUNDREDS....THOUSANDS.. of years!!!
All of this land as far in as DC was ocean bottom millions of years ago...No bedrock to build on...just layer upon layer of sediment...soft clay, merl, sand, shells dead bodies, rotten sharks, etc....
Go check out the Paleo Hall at the Calvert Marine Museum.:buddies:

rigz1381

ohmergerd
This was on Pioneer Trail right down the road from us. It was not too old of a house either and was at the bottom of a hill. It is now condemned. Let's hope this means something will be done with it unlike other homes that just sit with nothing done to them after a situation such as this.

n0n1m0us3

why so serious
This was on Pioneer Trail right down the road from us. It was not too old of a house either and was at the bottom of a hill. It is now condemned. Let's hope this means something will be done with it unlike other homes that just sit with nothing done to them after a situation such as this.

Man that sucks. I wonder if there is going to be any type of drive to help the family out. What an utter disaster :C

rigz1381

ohmergerd
Red Cross was there helping out and I know they were put up in a hotel. I am sure their insurance will cover it.

MMDad

Lem Putt
You should not build your house on shifting sands or cliffs that have been eroding for HUNDREDS....THOUSANDS.. of years!!!
All of this land as far in as DC was ocean bottom millions of years ago...No bedrock to build on...just layer upon layer of sediment...soft clay, merl, sand, shells dead bodies, rotten sharks, etc....
Go check out the Paleo Hall at the Calvert Marine Museum.:buddies:

Are you saying that there shouldn't be houses built between here and DC?

There are risks everywhere. Give and take.

I heard that this was due to the flooding/landslide conditions, not due to not having "bedrock" to build on.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
You build/buy a house at the edge of a cliff that has been eroding for eons..you can expect your house to go too....laws of nature.....and someday, most of Calvert will erode out into the bay.....and the Patuxent will be joined by the Chesapeake....but we will be LONG gone by then....
the cliffs erode because of water, rain, ice, snow, freezing, thawing...and it happens from the top down....the lower layers of the cliff are solid gray merl...some under eroding does occure, but the softer sandier layers, up top are less stable and erode faster...look at the Grand Canyon...all that erosion because of water!!!
So be careful where you build/buy and be prepared for the consequences....