M24 sniper rifle upgrade

Vince

"This is a “crucial change” that will increase lethality and stand-off distance, said Robbie Johnson, a former Ranger and sniper who now works for Remington."
Now that's the kind of job I want. Work = shooting guns. Now that would be great.

Now that's the kind of job I want. Work = shooting guns. Now that would be great.

Buddy of mine has that job. Works at APG. On any given day, he can be setting up a field full of tents to test them for some criteria, shooting RPGs, testing grenades, firing old howitzer rounds to empty a bunker so they can store something else in there or testing some new rifle for one agency or another.

Tech

How much does one of those bad boys cost? $28 million for 3600 rifles comes to over $7000 each. Is this a good price?

BOP

Attachments

• 20mmcannon-rifle.jpg
    20mmcannon-rifle.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 74

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
How much does one of those bad boys cost? $28 million for 3600 rifles comes to over $7000 each. Is this a good price?

Hell no, they're decked out bolt guns this gun with top of the line glass should not be anymore than $2k tops imo, wtf $7000 per on a $28 million contract for 3600 rifles????

BTW what's this got to do with SOMD?

Hell no, they're decked out bolt guns this gun with top of the line glass should not be anymore than $2k tops imo, wtf $7000 per on a $28 million contract for 3600 rifles????

You're about right on the scope: $2300. But the suppressor costs $3200. That leaves about $2K to cover the barrel replacement, labor, and (I suspect but it's not in the article) any needed repairs and testing. Not a bargain but probably not a candidate for the Golden Hammer award.

BTW what's this got to do with SOMD?

Not a thing, dang it. If I'd been thinking.....

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I see it's stock has an adjustable cheek piece, but that is a high ass scope mount. Just read the article, did not even consider the suppressor earlier.

Pushrod

Patriot
I wish they would have went with the Barrett's 98 Bravo in .338 Lapua Mag. It would have been a fantastic intermediate platform between the .308 and 50 bmg while staying lightweight and portable. Plus, if the military had contracted out the Barrett, it would have brought the price down for us civies. Now I need to save up 5k to be able to scratch it off of my short list of 'want to haves'.

You're about right on the scope: $2300. But the suppressor costs $3200. That leaves about $2K to cover the barrel replacement, labor, and (I suspect but it's not in the article) any needed repairs and testing. Not a bargain but probably not a candidate for the Golden Hammer award.

Not a thing, dang it. If I'd been thinking.....
Plus the new stock, cases, etc. When you consider all the parts that make up the weapon system and that the rifle will be in service for 30+ years, or at least it's receiver will be, $7K is not off the mark.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
"The resulting M24E1 will transition from the 7.62mm NATO caliber (.308 Winchester) to a .300 Winchester Magnum. The change is expected to expand a sniper’s effective range from 800 to 1,200 meters."
Remington upgrading M24 sniper rifle - Military News | News From Afghanistan, Iraq And Around The World - Military Times

Neat. I like cool weapons. Not that I especially want to shoot anyone from long range, Except maybe Themis and Clem_Shady.

NOT a fan of "special caliber" weapons for single purpose use. A lot of that cost is probably for logistics, testing, training.. and fielding, AND within logistics, new ammo stores for the new caliber that's not in the Army inventory.

We were trying to get down to three or four calibers, and in the case of some infantly squads single caliber (5.56). Makes the logistics tail MUCH smaller, and resupply even easier. Or if a sniper or rifleman runs out of ammo they can just delink some SAW ammo and stay in the fight.

I don't think the gain in range is much worth the expense or the logistics that will come with it.

and 20mm is pretty good, but again, I'm sure it's not the same 20mm Vulcan ammo.. and how much more power do you want over the .50 Cal (12.7mm)?

officeguy

Plus the new stock, cases, etc. When you consider all the parts that make up the weapon system and that the rifle will be in service for 30+ years, or at least it's receiver will be, $7K is not off the mark.

Odds are that the 'upgraded' rifle only shares the serial number and a couple of components in the trigger-group with the original. If they had called it 'replacement' it would have created a lot of budget implications and required a much bigger evaluation and contracting process.