Tea Party

philibusters

I have seen a lot of posters identify with the "tea party". I thought it would be interesting to get those posters perspective of the movement. Thus some questions for those posters...

1. What are the most important political issues for you? You can be specific (income tax rate) or be more philosophical (less government) or both.

2. What do you like about the current political system?

3. What do you want to change about the current political system?

4. What unites you with other people in the movement?

5. Does the movement have a spokes person? Who are living people that you admire? Who are dead people that you admire?

6. Name 5 things you would do to improve the country if you had a lot of political power?

7. You favorite President in your lifetime?

8. Your least favorite President in your lifetime.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
1. What are the most important political issues for you? You can be specific (income tax rate) or be more philosophical (less government) or both.
It all boils down to accountability to the electorate, of which there is little regard. Whether you're talking fiscal responsibility, encroachment on civil liberties in the guise of taxation or national security, disregard of the constitution in legislation, lack of enforcement on existing law, unvetted bureaucrats in charge of a large protion of government agencies affecting Americans lives, racism and bias within the executive, legislative and judiciary branch - it's government out of control.

If by current you mean as prescribed by the Constitution then I'm fine with it. If you mean by the actions of late of all stages of govt (in direct conflict with the Constitution), blatant partisanship, lack of ethics and accountability - then I am disgusted with it.

see above for clarification.
Rexamine the electoral college system. Reduce the amount of political contributions from corporate or organizational entities and a max ceiling. Require all political contributions (war chests) be used to reduce the national, state or community debt after EACH and EVERY election (depending on the level of the election).
Full accountability of ethics and due process.

Like mindedness.

5. Does the movement have a spokes person? Who are living people that you admire? Who are dead people that you admire?
No
Anyone who stands up to adversity or opposition with facts and truths, vice slogans or rhetoric.
The signers of the Declaration of Indepence, Jesus, all the men & women who have fought to secure and safeguard our Constitution.

6. Name 5 things you would do to improve the country if you had a lot of political power?
1. Make American Standard English the Official Language of the USA & it's territories (yeah that includes PR).
2. Remove all references to race/ethnicity in all govt documents. (Exception being Native American/Native Territorial peoples per our treaties)
3. Close the borders and re-examine the 14th amendment. Make it concise and clear who is a citizen, who is eligible for citizenship and address the issue of non citizens who enter the country illegally or stay on expired visas - and allow more involvement at the state and community level to help enforce the law.
4. Open up all the oil and gas fields in USA territory. Expand alternative energy sources. Let's keep the over $400 BILLION dollars (yearly) in imported energy costs in the US.
5. Re-examine the barriers for business and manufacturing development in The US & territories. Investigate unions and organizations for abuse of power.

and that's a start........

Dwight Eisenhower. An unsung hero when it comes to politics. He negotiated the end of the Korean War, desgregated the armed services, introduced school desgregation legistlation, pushed for Civil Rights legislation (which senator John Kennedy voted against obtw), built the interstate highway system (ok - that's a love-hate relationship) and the Eisenhower Doctrine - in which he built up our nuclear defense system, intercontinental missle sytem, early detection, began the embargo on Cuba, and the concept of competing with the USSR over the developing world to forstall the spread of soviet influence. And influenced Ronald Reagan :)

Obama - a narcissitic, immature, inexperienced poser, who's a puppet/frontman/mouthpiece for Bill Ayres and George Soros, both devote communist/elitists.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
...Reduce the amount of political contributions from corporate or organizational entities and a max ceiling. Require all political contributions (war chests) be used to reduce the national, state or community debt after EACH and EVERY election (depending on the level of the election).

I think campaign contributions should be limited to individuals that can legally vote for the candidate.

If you can't vote (corporations, unions etc.) you don't have a dog in the hunt

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I think campaign contributions should be limited to individuals that can legally vote for the candidate.

If you can't vote (corporations, unions etc.) you don't have a dog in the hunt

If that can happen then ok -I'm with you. You don't have any more to add?

Nucklesack

1. What are the most important political issues for you? You can be specific (income tax rate) or be more philosophical (less government) or both. No particular order:
  • Any Government legislation that allows the government to effect/affect what a law abiding tax paying citizen does in his/her own home that doesnt endanger/remove the rights of another
  • Lower taxes on par with a reduction in spending
  • Any Government legislation that empowers one law abiding tax paying citizen (or subset of citizens) over any other law abiding tax paying citizen

2. What do you like about the current political system? No matter what the punditry may espouse, the political system our Founding Fathers create is a fully functioning Republic and is a reflection of the citizenry, whether that citizenry is informed or not.

3. What do you want to change about the current political system? The all or nothing electoral system of the states, each voting district should get its own electoral vote. The interstate commerce clause, and the backdoor power it gives the Government

4. What unites you with other people in the movement? Define the unified movement first, then i'll tell you what unites or seperates me from them.

5. Does the movement have a spokes person? Who are living people that you admire? Who are dead people that you admire? No, at least not formally, but then how could it, the Tea Party is a conglomerate of ideals, the unifying message being the citizens are exhausted with the current state of Government

1. Step down, unlike many, I am self aware that my positions and beliefs are not representitive of the People I would be representing

7. You favorite President in your lifetime? My choices are limited to 6.
  1. Carter was the Iran Hostage crisis
  2. I lived through and saw first hand the results of President Reagans presidency (Return of the Hostages, fall of the wall, disolution of the USSR) but left a legacy (Iran/Contra) we are still dealing with.
  3. Bush1 "No new Taxes", Desert Storm and NAFTA
  4. Clinton was a hell of a Politician, even if I dont agree with his politics, but served during a period of unbelievable Economic Growth
  5. Dubya lowered his dads Taxes, 9/11, War on Terror, the Patriot Act and TARP, doubled the debt, and increased the debt 3.5 trillion dollars on his way out.
  6. Obama didnt shut down Gitmo, we are still in Afghanistan and Iraq, doubled the debt again, and looks like he will be responsible for the destruction of the Democratic party.

8. Your least favorite President in your lifetime. You want us to pick one lying politician over another?

:howdy:

ImnoMensa

[ I think Aerogal did a great job, as did nucklesack.

I would add a couple of things.

1.An important political issue to me would be term limits, and real bi-partsanship.

2.The system is fine when it isn't abused.

3.Caucus's that are racist such as the Hispanic and Black Caucus.
A real ethics committee set up with real citizens and not political
Whitewash experts.

4. The Tea party is us.

5.When the Tea party gets a leader it is no longer viable.

6.English the Official language
Flag Amendment
Enforce the laws on the books before making up new ones.
Carry out the death penalty in States where there are people on death row.
Kill the Health Reform Bill and the Cap and Trade.
Drill baby Drill. Make us self-sufficient.
Stop all Foreign aid until our own budget is balanced.
Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Tort Reform.
Get the lawyers out of Congress, and write laws that the average
American can read and understand.
Each law has to be written to stand by itself and no amendments allowed to be added that are not germane to that law. No pork added to bills at the last minute to get the bill passed. .

More than 5 but a start.

7. Torn between Truman and Reagan.

8. I won't mention Obama here because I assume we are speaking of President's who were eligible to serve. Carter.

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
I have seen a lot of posters identify with the "tea party". I thought it would be interesting to get those posters perspective of the movement. Thus some questions for those posters...

Smaller, less intrusive government.

Not much

See answer #1

See answer #1

5. Does the movement have a spokes person?

I hope not

Who are living people that you admire?

My brothers

Who are dead people that you admire?

My dad

Announce that all social programs will end in one year and all monies outstanding will be paid to each person according to what they gave, plus interest, then tell everyone you are on your own, the government will no longer be in the business of ensuring peoples’ well-being except to protect them from enemies foreign and domestic; thus ensuring – NOT GRANTING - everyone’s right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Reagan

Toss-up between Obama and Carter.

philibusters

I thought I'd do my own survey even though I consider myself a moderate liberal.

1. Broadly speaking most important political issue for me is the economy. More specifically getting the deficit under control (which includes spending cuts and perhaps small tax increases), getting rid of regulations that hurt the economy, reforming health care so it more cost efficient.

2. I like the current political system. I like the diverse views and tolerance for non-mainstream positions. I like the strength of the governmental institutions and how people have a lot of deference for the government. We are the exact opposite of a third world country. We have strong political, social, and economic institutions.

3. I dislike the extremism and bi-partisanship of current day politics. Nobody wants to compromise. Everybody cares about values and principle--what it means to be conservative, what it means to be liberal, what the purpose of the nation is, et cetera. Which is all good stuff, but where are the people who care about fixing the specific problems we face today and will work hard towards the best solution not worrying about the politics involved.

4. I am obviously not united to the Tea Partiers as I don't consider myself part of that movement. I have sympathies with the more intellectual parts of the movement which include libertarians. I feel no connection with the extreme conservative Obama haters who just want to blame everybody for everything and not address realistic problems and solutions.

5. Thomas Friedman is one of my favorite writers, also like Bill Clinton a lot. Thats probably common favorites for moderate liberals. My favorite ex presidents are Washington, Lincoln, both Adams, Theodore Roosevelt, Truman, and Clinton. As far as political philosophers Eric Hoffer a lot. Looking back in time more I like Aristotle, Machiavelli, and Descartes.

By the way I asked five as a bit of a loaded question, wondering if anybody would say Glenn Beck after his big rally last month.

6. Five things I would improve a) Put more money into the maths and sciences education b) reduce spending on medicare, social security, militiary, and social spending 3) Reform civil service so easier to fire crappy employees 4. Reform healthcare to make it more cost efficient 5) Use school vouchers and try to improve education for poor children

7. My favorite President in my lifetime is Bill Clinton

8. My least favorite President in my lifetime is George W. Bush, though I thought he was okay. Nobody I really dislike---they all tried their best to what they thought was right. I was in the early 1980's so don't have as many but I think all the Presidents we have since then have been good guy--whether or not I agreed or disagreed with their policies.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
By the way I asked five as a bit of a loaded question, wondering if anybody would say Glenn Beck after his big rally last month.

:lol: what did Glen Beck's rally to celebrate America by honoring our heroes and raising money to support the Special Operations Warrior Foundation have to do with the TEA party?

you sure you're not a flaming liberal?

philibusters

:lol: what did Glen Beck's rally to celebrate America by honoring our heroes and raising money to support the Special Operations Warrior Foundation have to do with the TEA party?

you sure you're not a flaming liberal?

Re-read the threads after that event. Lots of posters were raving about Beck. I am not a fan of Beck and didn't pay much attention to him, so I was caught by surprise how excited he got people.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Re-read the threads after that event. Lots of posters were raving about Beck. I am not a fan of Beck and didn't pay much attention to him, so I was caught by surprise how excited he got people.

The threads were not the event.

What has Beck said or done that you don't like?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I covered that in those threads, but to be succint I see him as too much rhetoric and not enough substance.

:lol: He's a radio and TV commentator, that pretty much requires rhetoric.

How much "substance" does Keith Olbermann have? How about Rachel Maddow? Does a tingle up the leg of Chris Matthews leg constitute substance?

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I've been rolling these around in my head for a bit. I like a lot of the answers so far, so I'll try to mention only a few new things...

1. What are the most important political issues for you?
States' rights, taxes, gun rights and [illegal] immigration.

I presume you mean the system as it is [being used]. Um, I can't really think of much that I like, only things about which I am disappointed or disgusted to one degree or another.

I want there to be honor, accountability and responsibility, but it's hard to force someone to be honorable or responsible; as long as the people are simple-minded enough to elect those of weak character, the system will function accordingly.

Solid reforms that could be put in place are term limits, campagin financing and the view that taxpayers are nothing more than a giant, bottomless piggy bank.

This is a bit redundant. I think, when you get right down to it, we all want honesty; tell us the facts regardless how painful they may be and let's deal with them.

Palin seems to be the single biggest mover out there, but the great thing about the TEA Party is that it does not have a leader, as it were, and everyone's voice is considered important.

I guess I could name quite a few admirable people, but to stay on the political point, some of the rising patriots are really incredible - like MD's own Charles Lollar, for example. Deceased people would be any of the founding Americans; when I say that, I'm not thinking strictly of the Founding Fathers, but also those whose names have been lost to history after fighting alongside and just as hard for our fledgling nation as the Fathers.

1. Clamp down at the southern border. Put a hard-ass in command of ICE.
2. Reevaluate every entitlement program. Cut, slash and dice spending until the programs are supporting those who genuinely need help while compelling the leeches to get off their respective asses and do something with themselves.
3. Make it clear to every anti-American entity - nations, extremist groups and wacko individuals - that we are fully capable and willing to decimate them as necessary. If they have a death wish, that's great, and we can help them succeed - before they lay a finger upon us.
4. Drill at home. Explore sensible future energy sources and begin working towards them based on a reasonable timeline.
5. Trim the fed according to the 10th Amendment; put states back in control of their own futures.

I was a young kid when he took office, but it would have to be Reagan. He was honorable, gentle but tough when necessary, intelligent... and deeply patriotic.

:lol: The one I'm putting up with right now.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I ama registered member of the TEA Party and have been since may of 2009. I'm also registered with Americans For Prosperity and a lifetime member of the DAV. I'm sure my name is on Napolitano's list somwhere.

SamSpade

I think one thing I'd like to see is an election system that allows people to get into office without being beholden to the tenuous bonds of money required to fund campaigns. I've always hated the fact that our system of election pretty much encourages what amounts to bribery, because so much money is required to elect someone, and generally the more money is spent the more likely the candidate will win.

I've had it up to here with career politicians who say things like Boxer did, insisting upon being addressed as "Senator" as though it was some kind of honorific, or that the office conferred some kind of degree of royalty. They don't get that they serve at our will or that their job is to serve the people. As Ross Perot once observed, they regard the people as something of a nuisance, and God forbid they should have anything to do with you as they move about the Capitol.

I somehow envision the representatives of our republic to be just people - good people of great character and leadership, but people who know what their constituents want. We have a system where party politics is more important, because getting re-elected is so vital. I'm sure there are plenty of people disgusted with the idea that there are men and women in Washington who have never run a business, never worked in the private sector, never actually rolled up their sleeves and really worked.

And so they sell you out, because somewhere along the line they compromised keeping their position above serving your interests.

Pushrod

Patriot
All the answers pretty much cover what I would have answered in 1-3 and 6, except for philibuster's answers, although I would agree with over 1/2 of what he stated also. My main request is that our governments abide by the Constitution as it was originally intended when written, including the amendments. There also needs to be some reform of the federal court up to and including the Supreme Court. Twisting the meaning of the Constitution to fit ones ideas of Social Justice is a travesty of the rule of law. Social Justice is a philosophy that doesn't belong in a Constitutional Republic and Free Market Capitalism. We should be adopting the idea of Equal Justice.

I don't know if I am completely united with everyone in the movement, since there are so many eclectic views being represented, but I would say that the main view we all share is that the present government is out of control and no longer works for we the people (and by present I don't just mean the Obama presedency).

The people I admire the most? Anyone who stands up for their beliefs and convictions with truth and honesty even when those beliefs are different from mine.

My favorite president? I guess it would be Reagan in many aspects, although I didn't agree with all his positions (his 2A stance wasn't strong). I found things that I liked in all of our presidents that I would like to be able to combine together for my ideal president (even Obama, whom I like for his stage presence).

My least favorite president is the one we have now as he is the antithesis of all that the founding fathers espoused in their writings.

Otter

Nothing to see here
It all boils down to accountability to the electorate, of which there is little regard. Whether you're talking fiscal responsibility, encroachment on civil liberties in the guise of taxation or national security, disregard of the constitution in legislation, lack of enforcement on existing law, unvetted bureaucrats in charge of a large protion of government agencies affecting Americans lives, racism and bias within the executive, legislative and judiciary branch - it's government out of control.

If by current you mean as prescribed by the Constitution then I'm fine with it. If you mean by the actions of late of all stages of govt (in direct conflict with the Constitution), blatant partisanship, lack of ethics and accountability - then I am disgusted with it.

see above for clarification.
Rexamine the electoral college system. Reduce the amount of political contributions from corporate or organizational entities and a max ceiling. Require all political contributions (war chests) be used to reduce the national, state or community debt after EACH and EVERY election (depending on the level of the election).
Full accountability of ethics and due process.

Like mindedness.

No
Anyone who stands up to adversity or opposition with facts and truths, vice slogans or rhetoric.
The signers of the Declaration of Indepence, Jesus, all the men & women who have fought to secure and safeguard our Constitution.

1. Make American Standard English the Official Language of the USA & it's territories (yeah that includes PR).
2. Remove all references to race/ethnicity in all govt documents. (Exception being Native American/Native Territorial peoples per our treaties)
3. Close the borders and re-examine the 14th amendment. Make it concise and clear who is a citizen, who is eligible for citizenship and address the issue of non citizens who enter the country illegally or stay on expired visas - and allow more involvement at the state and community level to help enforce the law.
4. Open up all the oil and gas fields in USA territory. Expand alternative energy sources. Let's keep the over $400 BILLION dollars (yearly) in imported energy costs in the US.
5. Re-examine the barriers for business and manufacturing development in The US & territories. Investigate unions and organizations for abuse of power.

and that's a start........

Dwight Eisenhower. An unsung hero when it comes to politics. He negotiated the end of the Korean War, desgregated the armed services, introduced school desgregation legistlation, pushed for Civil Rights legislation (which senator John Kennedy voted against obtw), built the interstate highway system (ok - that's a love-hate relationship) and the Eisenhower Doctrine - in which he built up our nuclear defense system, intercontinental missle sytem, early detection, began the embargo on Cuba, and the concept of competing with the USSR over the developing world to forstall the spread of soviet influence. And influenced Ronald Reagan :)

Obama - a narcissitic, immature, inexperienced poser, who's a puppet/frontman/mouthpiece for Bill Ayres and George Soros, both devote communist/elitists.

:yay:

awpitt

Main Streeter

Truman integrated the armed forces.