livestock auction

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
Hi I was wondering if anyone knows what day the livestock auction is at the farmers market? We need to get a billy forour does asap... thanks!

Colliegal

The auctions were getting too large and running too late, so they have added another day. So, they are held the first and third Wednesday of each month.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Standard or pygmy? If pygmy, my neighbor may still have some for sale. He had some really handsome black/white ones.

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
Standard or pygmy? If pygmy, my neighbor may still have some for sale. He had some really handsome black/white ones.

We actually now have a buck, he's 1/2 nubian 1/2 boer. One of our does just had a kid last Friday, and the baby looks just like him! (except for the color, and she is 1/2 angora so she has thicker hair) We have two more does that are due soon, I'm thinking both are going to have at-least twins (may have felt a third one for one doe). Thanks!

Attachments

• downsize.jpg
    downsize.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 264

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
whoops didn't realize how old this thread was LOL - what a cutie ! I just love the babies when they run around and play, so cute.

We actually now have a buck, he's 1/2 nubian 1/2 boer. One of our does just had a kid last Friday, and the baby looks just like him! (except for the color, and she is 1/2 angora so she has thicker hair) We have two more does that are due soon, I'm thinking both are going to have at-least twins (may have felt a third one for one doe). Thanks!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I figured we may as well use THIS livestock auction thread as opposed to starting another one. We acquired a HUGE rooster about a month or 2 ago. We named him Walmart since that's where we found him (outside in grass near Walmart in Clinton). Anyway, we were going to keep him since he seemed so friendly, but watching him interact with the hens, I realize he's just too big to be mating with my beloved hens.

So,I will probably be taking Walmart to the livestock auction on Aug. 7th. Anyone know if it's normal for a rooster to be so big? Like how much does the average rooster weigh? This one is still a juvenile, so he will gain more weight (and maybe get bigger?), but he already weighs close to 13 lbs. His feet are almost as big as my hand - he's huge. He looks like a Barred Rock, but I am not sure. Anyone know? See his picture. This picture was taken right after we caught Walmart - so he's a tad bigger now.

Attachments

• hugeroosterWalmart.jpg
    hugeroosterWalmart.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 295

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
We had a large White Rock (?) that was about 11 pounds. His name was Rocky. That is one beautiful Rooster. Sure you can't keep him?

We have about 12 roosters right now, and some need to go before the juveniles learn how to crow or my neighbors may not like me anymore. Having 2 crowing roosters isn't bad, but 12 can probably raise the dead lol.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I don't know about auctions, but I think we may need a couple more female ducks. We have 4 chickens and 2 ducks, and we REALLY like duck eggs..

Don't know much about either chickens or ducks but khaki campbell ducks sound interesting .. but I'm trying to be careful and not getting too many too quick..

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I don't know about auctions, but I think we may need a couple more female ducks. We have 4 chickens and 2 ducks, and we REALLY like duck eggs..

Don't know much about either chickens or ducks but khaki campbell ducks sound interesting .. but I'm trying to be careful and not getting too many too quick..

I hope you have a large pond. Ducks can foul a pond pretty quick. We fostered 3 ducks for several months, and the smell of the small pool was really bad even if we changed the water every 2 days.,