So what happened?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Dean was the darling and up by 20 points. Then he gets massacred in Iowa. How did that happen? Did Dean supporters suddenly realize he was a nutball? Did the Clintonistas put the fix in? What?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Dean was the darling and up by 20 points. Then he gets massacred in Iowa. How did that happen? Did Dean supporters suddenly realize he was a nutball? Did the Clintonistas put the fix in? What?
Polls are only as good as the questions asked and the people being surveyed. I think more and more people have devices on their phone to defeat computer dialing and/or just hang up when they realize it's a computer, without giving the surveyer the chance to even come on the line. Many people also use their cell phone as their primary phone and avoid surveyers that way too. As a result, the average voter, the people who surveyers want and need to talk to, isn't being polled.

SamSpade

I think it's the nature of the caucuses. Unlike primaries, where you shuffle in like drones and place your ballot, there's lots of serious discussion. I think Dean's actual electability came into play, and Dems in Iowa had to select someone more likely to WIN.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Letterman joked last night that he hoped Dean would win, because it would be cool to have a President who was so out-of-control with his anger that he would be scary. You think Dean would scare the tar out of Kim Jung Il? Dave showed a clip of Dean ranting after Iowa with his head exploding.

D

dems4me

I think alot of people like me liked him and the more they followed him the more they found it difficult to support him. He's very chrismatic, but now, his other side is starting to show. He's almost postal at this rate. He even commented to a reporter last weekend stating the reporter needed to get a life and to leave him alone. He says something stupid and then tries to gloss over it and then gets angry. He's losing control and alot of people are seeing it. I don't know how Joe Trippi can still try to cover for him. I like Dean's record, but not the person he is showing himself to be. Quite frankly anyone who's eyes start bugging out, while yelling and red-faced is not someone I would like to see run our country. He is really starting to frieghten me. I like Kerry alot better.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by dems4me
I like Kerry alot better.
Oh thank God!

Vote Kerry - NOT Edwards!! :lol:

I think you're right, Dems - all those outbursts cost him big. He's a loose cannon and just couldn't control himself any longer. Or maybe the press is just giving it more attention now - dunno.

D

dems4me

Yes Vrai - I'm voting for Kerry, he scared a lot of people away. I just don't know what to do with all my Dean for President ballons, bumperstickers, signs, t-shirts, sweat shirts, rally boards, cd rom, buttons, caps, etc... I suppose I could cross it out and put Kerry on it. I'm thinking about buying the bumper sticker that says "dated Dean, but married Kerry!"
I think Dean is literally snapping. I've followed him, went to his 55th birthday party, etc... and he was never like the way he is now. It's almost like a dr. jeckyl and mr. hyde sort of thing right now. It's almost as if his knee jerk reactions are at gun point or something. He's a very desperate man right now and a lot of people don't like desperate people. People sense that and back away.

D

dems4me

vrai - have you seen the latest footage where Dean hecklers start heckling dean and he looses his gord and starts singing the star spangled banner all by himself while they dismantle the two angry youths out and then later others kind of join in confused.?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by dems4me
I just don't know what to do with all my Dean for President ballons, bumperstickers, signs, t-shirts, sweat shirts, rally boards, cd rom, buttons, caps, etc...
Give 'em to SmcDem.

vrai - have you seen the latest footage where Dean hecklers start heckling dean and he looses his gord and starts singing the star spangled banner all by himself while they dismantle the two angry youths out and then later others kind of join in confused.?
Yep. I think it's the physical toll campaigning takes on a candidate. They're probably only getting a few hours sleep a night - Kerry looks like hell these days, just exhausted. Not eating worth a damn, constantly having to watch what they say. After awhile, they just can't take it anymore and their true personality comes out, not that groomed thing the handlers have trained them to do.

The only candidate I've ever seen that seemed to thrive on the campaign trail was Bill Clinton. Dubya did well, too, because he's in great physical shape. It takes a lot of stamina to be President so the campaign trail separates the wheat from the chaff.

D

dems4me

the only thing that can save Dean is if he catches Kerry's larynghitis (sp?)

B

Bruzilla

On Jay Leno last night...

"How about Howard Dean's concession speech last night? Wasn't that something? Now the cattle in Iowa are afraid of getting Mad Dean disease." :roflmao:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Dean might have a movie career ahead of him. How about remakes of Network and And Justice for All, or better yet, any role from Nicholson's career?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Totally seriously here...

...dems4...

I like Dean's record, but not the person he is showing himself to be. Quite frankly anyone who's eyes start bugging out, while yelling and red-faced is not someone I would like to see run our country.

Is it that simple???

He went from what, 20 up three weeks ago to 20 down to Kerry.

That's a 40 points swing and that in and of itself is disturbing as hell.

How the hell can Iowa, where he has been working for almost 2 whole years, just change their minds that totally, that quickly???

Not one damn thing new was learned by anyone about Dean. All this stuff, temper, condecension, ill chosen comments, is on the record, it just was never shoved in the nations face before.

Something is John Effing Kerry wrong when a 40 points swing occurs in three weeks.

B

Bruzilla

I've been reading "after action"reports from caucus goers, and the reasons they cite for dumpinmg Dean are:

1. The fact that he's had to go back and change so many of his recent statements.
2. His yelling at the old man last week (the guy he told to sit down and shut up.)
3. The ads with Gephardt

Speaking of Gephardt, what happened there? I was reading about one caucus site where a bunch of union people were supposed to show up and none did. The Gephardt person was left standing all alone in a corner.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Just as a side note: There was a Clark for Pres. ad on a little while ago. Among other things, he said that NATO should be in charge of rebuilding Iraq. :rolleyes:

BuddyLee

Football addict
i say

Originally posted by cmcdanal
Just as a side note: There was a Clark for Pres. ad on a little while ago. Among other things, he said that NATO should be in charge of rebuilding Iraq. :rolleyes:

i say we let the french rebuild iraq:cheesy:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:cool: I told you guys earlier, that there was some sinister game afoot, Howard Dean shooting up through the roof so quickly, his negativism towards other candidates, etc., sure didn't seem to be what would propel him towards victory.....

Yet, he had the gall to appeal to Terry McAuliffe to get the other candidates to tone down their rhetoric. Made me:roflmao: :lmao: at his futility.

But to see him bug-eyed at that conciliatory speech after the voting was over, really threw me!

Dem4me, does this mean you won't be attempting to put together any Dean rallies, or "support for Howard Dean" sessions?