Horse Shows?

HiddenOaksFarm

I'm looking for some winter shows to get my greenie in this winter. MD and/or VA area. Hunter/Jumper stuff.. maybe some flat classes. Anyone know of any? Is there a list posted anywhere? Thanks in advance.

G

GVF

Country Haven has a winter schooling show series, in fact there's a show tomorrow!

Welcome to Facebook

Sorry, have to comment on this:

$11 pre entry fee
$14 post entry fee
then.....
"Prize money" in performance classes: $5 (1st), $3 (2ND), $2 (3rd), $1 (4th).
Seriously?? You don't even have a chance to get back your entry fee if you win?? wow....

At our jumper show we paid back 50% of the entries to the winner still convering our costs for the class. Just didn't feel right offering prize money without if being BENEFITIAL to the winner, as should be.

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith

$11 pre entry fee
$14 post entry fee
then.....
Seriously?? You don't even have a chance to get back your entry fee if you win?? wow....

At our jumper show we paid back 50% of the entries to the winner still convering our costs for the class. Just didn't feel right offering prize money without if being BENEFITIAL to the winner, as should be.

Its a schooling show. Be glad they're offering prize money.

Eventer29

I agree that the prices are a bit much, but they do have a nice schooling show.

We are working on dates for our schooling shows, we have flat and over fences classes. Very low key great for a greenie! Will be one in dec, jan and feb. We have an indoor for bad weather!

Z

zansgoodnews

Its a schooling show. Be glad they're offering prize money.

GVF's was a schooling show as well. Probably much smaller than that one is going to be. I also agree the first place person should atleast be able to get their entry fee back. The entry fees are quite pricey- charging near what the bigger schooling shows charge. This is the problem with schooling shows nowadays.

Why not do one or two class that will actually win someone a decent amount of money instead of numerous classes? Just a suggestion....

Last edited by a moderator:

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE SNIDE OR RUDE

Have you been to one of the shows at Country Haven? Probably not..the jumps are comparable with what is found up at PGEC shows. They actually have picked up some of the jumps from those shows after the year is done.

The footing in the ring is wonderful. Nice and soft the horses enjoy it. The owner of the farm spends hours getting that ring ready. The jumper jumps are brand new this year.

The trailer parking is great with loads of room to turn around the bigger trailers.

It is a very well organized schooling show that is good for the novice riders and green horses to attend.

The price is no higher or lower than what I have paid at other shows. The prize money is nice perk. I didn't attend the shows for the prize money but the experience of taking my horse to another place besides PGEC or Oak Ridge.

BTW i am not associated with the show at all. I have gone to three shows up there and have enjoyed it. My new green horse isn't quite ready to go up there yet. He still thinks there is a horse eating monster that appears when mounting him and that his tail when he -oops will eat him.

The only negative is the road going back there but if you go slow it isn't that bad. Just take your time and you will be fine.

Z

zansgoodnews

I didn't say the show wasn't nice or that it probably wouldn't be nice. *shrugs*

Last edited by a moderator:

Duckz

$11 pre entry fee
$14 post entry fee
then.....

You realize this isn't Phyx's show? She was just linking to it? Anyway, the Country Haven show costs quite a bit to run, what with bringing in a rated judge, offering year end coolers and saddle pads, and the brand new hunter course bought a year or two ago. Also, it's not at all common to see prize money at schooling or smaller rated hunter shows. It's a nice touch, I think.

And BZ, the show was beautiful today :buddies: Nice to see such a good turnout.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Great day, love the jumps and ring. We will see you next time BZ we loved it. Oh and the judge was very accomidating to critique us during a break. We also didn't go for the money:otter:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Devine...loved your appy. You went from green to mean in one show day. A mean a$$ jumper that is.

Duck...nice seeing you and your new doggy.

Phyx...you and peanut looked AWESOME

G

GVF

You realize this isn't Phyx's show? She was just linking to it? Anyway, the Country Haven show costs quite a bit to run, what with bringing in a rated judge, offering year end coolers and saddle pads, and the brand new hunter course bought a year or two ago. Also, it's not at all common to see prize money at schooling or smaller rated hunter shows. It's a nice touch, I think.

Yes, I DO realize it was not phyx's show. What does that have to do with it? I quoted her because it had the link to the prizelist- why do you have to read something into it because of what is going on another thread. FYI I CAN separate myself from dissagreements and let things go outside of them (and other threads). I am not meaning to start a war with you all across the board, just will if I have to if someone chooses to try and instigate trouble with me. Sorry, but it's not going to fly with me.

I was only pointing out that it was MY OPINION (I mean, aren't we ALL allowed to voice them here, or is it just you groupies??? and I do expect to hear ' no one asked your opinon....') that the 'prizes' seemed small in comparison to the entry fees and I feel the winners of prize classes should at least be able to get their entry fee back on that class they won.

I will take into consideration when we hold another show that prize money is not a 'big deal' and $5 should cover it for the winner. I better figure out the acceptable going % for prize money in realtion to entry fee- theirs was $14 with $5 prize, so with our entry fee of $10 for the $ classes- would about $3.50 or so be about fair for 1st and then on down from there?

SO for a class with 10 entries @ $14 a class grossing $140, the winner gets $5 and overall prize money given out totals $11!!! I had this ALL wrong when we paid out with 10 entries @ $10 a class grossing $100, where the winner got $50 (5x their entry fee, and enough to pay off all their clases). Thanks for setting me straight for next time!! :buddies:

G

GVF

Congrats to all the winners today. It was a beautiful day for a show!!!! Maybe after all this Saint stuff settles we can find time to get to one this winter!!

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
We will be there:buddies:

Percy glad you could make it. Sorry I didn't get more time to chat. :howdy: Appreciate the feed back on the judge today. I heard many positive comments & was impressed during schooling breaks she took the time to chat with the exhibitors. I'd highly recommend her to anyone that is looking to run a hunter show.

Last edited:

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)

Thanks Duckz. Hope you big guy is doing well soon.