How Romney made a best-seller

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link

"Mitt Romney boosted sales of his book this spring by asking institutions to buy thousands of copies in exchange for his speeches, according to a document obtained by POLITICO.

Romney's book tour ran from early March to late May of this year, and took him to bookstores, universities, conferences and private groups around the country. Their giant purchases helped his book, No Apology: The Case for American Greatness, debut on top of the New York Times best-seller list, though with an asterisk indicating bulk purchases.

The hosts ranged from Claremont McKenna College to the Restaurant Leadership Conference, many of whom are accustomed to paying for high-profile speakers like Romney. Asking that hosts buy books is also a standard feature of book tours. But Romney's total price — $50,000 — was on the high end, and his publisher, according to the document from the book tour — provided on the condition it not be described in detail — asked institutions to pay at least $25,000, and up to the full $50,000 price, in bulk purchases of the book."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Link

"Mitt Romney boosted sales of his book this spring by asking institutions to buy thousands of copies in exchange for his speeches, according to a document obtained by POLITICO.

Romney's book tour ran from early March to late May of this year, and took him to bookstores, universities, conferences and private groups around the country. Their giant purchases helped his book, No Apology: The Case for American Greatness, debut on top of the New York Times best-seller list, though with an asterisk indicating bulk purchases.

The hosts ranged from Claremont McKenna College to the Restaurant Leadership Conference, many of whom are accustomed to paying for high-profile speakers like Romney. Asking that hosts buy books is also a standard feature of book tours. But Romney's total price — $50,000 — was on the high end, and his publisher, according to the document from the book tour — provided on the condition it not be described in detail — asked institutions to pay at least $25,000, and up to the full $50,000 price, in bulk purchases of the book."

I wonder if you make a distinction between four quarters and a dollar?

I understand saying "Hey! That's not a real best seller!" and I'd raise the same point if it were, say, a liberal that, gasp, did something kinda smelly but, at the end of the day, Romney chose to fore-go $50,000 in his pocket for whatever his cut is on that dollar value in his books which would be a good bit less that $50k. Point being, to put this another way;

He put his money where his mouth is. He gave up something to get something. Some would call that barter or, horror or horrors;

capitalism.

BTW: The ONLY way I'll vote for Romeny is if he consistently denounces TARP as a terrible idea that, clearly, made things worse for the nation, long term, for a short term gain.

Because it did.

:buddies:

ImnoMensa

Capitalism, market forces, supply and demand at work!!! :lol:

It's not like Nancy or Mitt needed the money anyway. It stroked their ego's to have a best seller, and it may have fooled a few people into buying them.

I doubt anyone else bought that many of the books on their own.